Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    This could possible be the worst idea in the history of all gaming

It's all fun and games until a bunch of Trolls drive a gyrocopter into a building.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    There is nothing worth worshipping in azeroth anyway.

Does that mean classes like priest and paladin don't get a choice? How unfun.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    punish them how? are players who dont fish/cook/do archeology punished in game? this -belief system- can somehow be implemented to become something like pet battles (or brawler's guild).
    Religion is a very sensitive subject, and it's meaning should not be pulled into a game.

As I said, letting us learn more about this through a lorewalker-type of faction is cool, but it shouldn't be labeled as a religion and locked into one "direction" you have to pick to participate.

Yes, we do have factions where you need to pick sides, but none of them support something that makes you associate with real life religions. It should stay that way. It might be my opinion, but I honestly consider it harmfull. We're not even allowed to discuss real life religion on these forums, and for a good reason. No matter how made up the ingame beliefs are, they cannot be treated and labeled as what we know as religion in real life.

This thread needs to be locked. You cant even say the word religion without inciting a flame war.

I get what you're saying, but seriously, this is just going to start a huge fight and throwing around definitions of the word theory, fedora jokes and quotes from random people.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post
    Religion is a very sensitive subject, and it's meaning should not be pulled into a game.

As I said, letting us learn more about this through a lorewalker-type of faction is cool, but it shouldn't be labeled as a religion and locked into one "direction" you have to pick to participate.

Yes, we do have factions where you need to pick sides, but none of them support something that makes you associate with real life religions. It should stay that way. It might be my opinion, but I honestly consider it harmfull. We're not even allowed to discuss real life religion on these forums, and for a good reason. No matter how made up the ingame beliefs are, they cannot be treated and labeled as what we know as religion in real life.
    Why can't in-game beliefs be treated as religion? That is what they are, whether you like it or not. Night Elves worshiping Elune, Humans worshiping the light, etc: all of it is religion by definition. The term religion isn't some sacred thing that can't be tarnished by having it in a video game.

At the same time, there is absolutely no reason for anyone to be offended by in-game religion. In the game is an entirely different universe than ours. R'hllor, the Lord of Light, may very well exist in a fictional universe... our beliefs in the real world don't even matter in a fictional context. Anyone who gets offended by fictional religions (in a fictional context) is far too sensitive about the subject.

I'm not saying I agree with the idea, as I don't think it is that good of one. But to say that Blizzard shouldn't do it because it will offend some fanatics is the stupidest thing I've heard all day. The only people who would complain about such a feature are probably the same people who would think video games lead to gun violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Urobolos View Post
    What sort of rewards are there for atheists?
    An extra silence, and a free helm that can be transmogged into a fedora!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    There's no such thing as religion in WoW.. fortunately. So no thanks, not in my opinion at least.
    Yeah, because no one worships Elune or the Light.

Besides everything already stated of the poorly translated RL religious crap, WoW already has faiths within its class system, if you add religions that are separate it gets muddy.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Introducing religions into the game any more than they already are is opening a Pandora's box of problems. It's a problem in terms of the game itself and players don't need any more reasons to dislike one another. There is already a belief structure in the lore and people can RP around that to their heart's content without religions becoming something like another faction.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2014-01-18 at 07:19 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    People do realize religions in a fantasy games are different from real life? Like really.

Quote Originally Posted by Coronius View Post
    It's all fun and games until a bunch of Trolls drive a gyrocopter into a building.
    I'm going to hell. I laughed far too hard at that.

Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    People do realize religions in a fantasy games are different from real life? Like really.
    Except when do you see people being reasonable and mature in a video game? You don't. People would simply use Religion as a reason to gank others. Some would use it as a reason to bash others and some would just bitch and complain that their religion/deity or whatever just isn't as good as another's.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thassarian View Post
    Some would use it as a reason to bash others and some would just bitch and complain that their religion/deity or whatever just isn't as good as another's.
    So... like factions in WoW already?

You guys should stop being so sensitive, it's just a game. Not to mention religion is already deeply engrained across the game in various ways.

Holy Light/Naaru

Humans, Blood Elves, Dwarves, Worgen, others

Elune/Earthmother or nature spirituality (general, Ancients, Loa)
    Night Elves, Tauren, Trolls, Dwarves, Worgen, Orcs, others

Plenty of others too, ranging from beliefs surrounding the Titans or more recent developments like the Forsaken (Cult of Forgotten Shadow, Echo of Life, etc...)

Belief, religion, spirituality, W/E, exists across Azeroth and Draenor in many forms. Most healing specs draw on these sources very directly. Adding a small path of character progression regarding beliefs (something simple and fun, but not too deep, like archaeology) does absolutely nothing but add a little more color to the game. This isn't real life, there won't be crusades, and the story won't change over a small piece of content devoted to something that's already in the game. You can leave your real-life bias at the door.

I think it would be a great idea OP.

Deleted
    please no. i play games to escape idiotic reality where things like religion exist...

10+ Year Old Account
    Euphoria and a fedora.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sanity is its own reward.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no religions only faiths and beliefs,the light and elune and such and such,keep real religion out of games its stupid enough in the real world without ruining my life in the game world too. Besides if religion was in wow there would be no priests about as they would all be in SW Cathedral sexually assaulting lower level players.

If you want player religion, just join a RP server and RP it out.