Thread: Lack of care?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Lack of care?

In the past, for about 3 years or so, after a relationship I had with a guy, it seemed pretty likely I had contracted HIV. I went through a period of not caring about my life without getting tested, giving up on the fact that I didnt care if I lived beyond 30 or not. Got tested recently, and thankfully I don't have it. Turns out I might have ADHD though. And I've come to realize that I don't actually care what job I get, aslong as it pays a little above minimum wage, that I'm quite happy without money. I'm at uni, and I'm easily passing everything without revising ( comp. science. ). I'm just wondering, is it natural to just not care about anything? Hell, I'm even thinking of dropping out of uni, because I simply cba. I'm getting bored of coding already, and not even sure if I wanna do it as a job anymore, I don't care for it anymore :/

Deleted
    The lack of giving a shit is a common effect of depression, and seeing your background I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, depending on how long you have left in the course, I'd avoid dropping out of Uni. Regardless of the course, a Uni degree can open up a few doors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Camel View Post
    Honestly, depending on how long you have left in the course, I'd avoid dropping out of Uni. Regardless of the course, a Uni degree can open up a few doors.
    Thing is I'm only in the first year, and it's supposed to be a masters >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedead241 View Post
    If you were towards the end, it would be foolish to leave.

Do you think you'd be happier doing another course or working a job you don't like?

At its worst, depression isn't about having a bad day or feeling a little down. It's feeling nothing at all.

Get professional help. No one will think bad of you.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I guess I am a bit in the same situation as you. I don't really care per say. I am still going to university this summer and getting a degree. I just don't really care that much about money currently. I want a job and I want to be self-sufficient and not rely on others, but if I earn 2000 or 10000 a month does not really bother me much.

But I would just stay at university. Maybe it bores you now, but just stick to it. When you are done you may find that you really enjoy it, and even if you don't, having a masters still opens a lot doors.

Deleted
    If you were towards the end, it would be foolish to leave.

Do you think you'd be happier doing another course or working a job you don't like?
    Thats one of the issues I'm facing, one of the courses I've regularly looked to require a bachelors before you start.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    At its worst, depression isn't about having a bad day or feeling a little down. It's feeling nothing at all.

Get professional help. No one will think bad of you.
    I'm already seeing a therapist :/ doesn't seem to be doing much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats one of the issues I'm facing, one of the courses I've regularly looked to require a bachelors before you start.

How long have you been seeing one? It took me 7 years to finish undergrad due to similar problems, but I am sooo glad I finished now. Its like a rock gets off your chest

10+ Year Old Account
    It may be worth while sticking with the course then.

It may be worth while to speak to the therapist about your expectations and where and how you'd like to be emotionally.

Deleted
    Jumping on the ADHD train whoo-whoooooooooooo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    The lack of giving a shit is a common effect of depression

Yup.
    But why? Why would he/she be depressed?
    Today's world is fast paced and it rarely gives us chance to do what we want to do and even to discover what we want to do and where our passions lie. Right after high school, we are pretty much required to go to college and to know what exactly what we want to do with our lives. So what happens when it turns out that what we thought we wanted to do isn't really what we want to spend the rest of our lives doing? Well, what happens is that we get stuck in the same job, same position, same unhappiness year after year.
    People are really meant to do stuff. What stuff? All sorts of stuff. You just gotta find the thing you're passionate about doing and ignore the social stigmas, protocols or expectations.
    I had pretty much the same thing going for me. I finished high school, tried doing college and then plain out dropped out because I didn't really care about it, couldn't force myself to study the idiotic subjects and basically all my friends dropped out, too. So then what I did is I started working with my dad. And I had the luck that my dad is a great guy who understood that I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life and he encouraged me to try different things. I tried all sorts of stuff in the period of 4 years. But in the end, like two years ago, I signed up for an alpinism course. So I went and found out that while climbing rocks might sound silly, it's actually a very meaningful thing. Or at least that's how I looked at it. Now, 2 years in, I dropped alpinism and I focused on sport climbing. I love everything about it. I love having a chill day on the rock, climbing very easy stuff and I love trying hard routes that require me to focus completely and give it all I've got. So climbing has become my passion now.
    So, while climbing might be hard to live off (it's decently hard to find sponsors here, in Croatia), it gave me an opportunity to help some friends training. I even trained kids on a couple of occasions when the main trainers couldn't make it. So I found out I really like helping people push their physical and mental limits. And thus I decided I would truly like finishing college for being a professional trainer one day. And so it is, I'm going to start college next year, hopefully.

I know it's a long post and there's no TL;DR but I guess the entire point is: You gotta get out there and try stuff. The world has much more to offer than what you might think. And you've gotta find where your passion lies. And when you find it, the only thing you can do is do it.
    And even though it's reached new heights, I rather like the restless nights. It makes me wonder, makes me think there's more to this, I'm on the brink. It's not the fear of what's beyond, it's just that I might not respond! I have an interest, almost craving, would I like to get to far in?!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    Jumping on the ADHD train whoo-whoooooooooooo!
    ./shrug finding out in a fortnight. Please don't mock the fact it's considered over-diagnosed. Going through 4-5 doctors isn't fun, especially when most people consider such things a joke diagnosis.

It may be worth while to speak to the therapist about your expectations and where and how you'd like to be emotionally.
    Eh, I guess. Been seeing her for just over four months now, I find it hard to even envision that myself, let alone talk about it though :/

In terms of passionate, I havn't really had the chance to try out alot of things. I did my fair share of hikes and what not, but I hated them, along with a ton of sports. Guess I just havn't found the right thing to be passionate about yet.
    Last edited by mmoc5fcc5b6438; 2014-01-23 at 11:43 AM.

I just have to ask: How is your relation to pot/weed?
    Users of those have the "i dont care"-Syndrome quite often.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    I just have to ask: How is your relation to pot/weed?
    Users of those have the "i dont care"-Syndrome quite often.
    None. Got offered some and declined. I don't drink alot either, my family got screwed by alot of that stuff ( Not recreational drugs, but other ones ), so I tend to stay away.

Deleted
    Apathy comes from many a reason.

The only important thing being is to find something that makes you care - and stick to that.

My hopes go out to you and that you manage to find that. Personally - I can only speak so highly of my workout, food and the sun.

Everything else is a contrast of apathy, anger and nuisance/failure.

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of passionate, I havn't really had the chance to try out alot of things. I did my fair share of hikes and what not, but I hated them, along with a ton of sports. Guess I just havn't found the right thing to be passionate about yet.

Which of these have you tried? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfp_J0T2RXk
    And even though it's reached new heights, I rather like the restless nights. It makes me wonder, makes me think there's more to this, I'm on the brink. It's not the fear of what's beyond, it's just that I might not respond! I have an interest, almost craving, would I like to get to far in?!

Deleted
    Going up mountains, hiking, drama ( think that was one ? ), sailing. They were pretty cool but nothing I'd get excited about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going up mountains, hiking, drama ( think that was one ? ), sailing. They were pretty cool but nothing I'd get excited about.
    Well, look... There are a million things to do in this world. Look up videos and see if anything catches your eye and then try it. Maybe you won't find it immediately but you should never give up. I mean, you can choose from building ship models to parkour to sport climbing to skiing to kayaking to running to whatever you feel. There will be no one who will be able to help you finding out what you want to do. Not a psychologist, not your friends, not your parents, no one. You just gotta go out there and try it and live it.

Deleted
    I also don't give a damn about almost anything. But not because I'm depressed, but because I'm lazy as fuck :P