Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Can you name ONE other legendary that required as much individual effort as the cloak ?

By individual effort, I don't mean the guild doing it for you - or RNG doing it for you.
    Except you're not counting the cloak as its own legendary. Which you should if you're going to compare it to any other legendary. Of course a legendary chain that lasts the entire expansion is going to require more time/effort.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would tend to agree with OP here. Granted I LOVED when I got my staff back in cata. But I will also say that it was impossible to raid with a top guild without a staff or daggers. That is indeed true today when raiding. Also an interesting note, granted I have no data to back this up so obviously take this with a grain of salt. After reading a wide variety on the forums over the last few years about a wide variety of opinions, complaints, an other misc things I have seen a common demominator.
    Back around BC, I have seen a lot of complaints about changes from subscribers to this game. People wanted to make the game simpler and easier to access. Fastforwarding to today, the moment that people are QQing to make some parts of the game (in this case legendary accessability more difficult) revert back to something they liked, you have people who are saying that the game is changing and for that audience to deal with it. Granted some of those who are saying to deal with the changes and everyone is entitled to their opinions. Some have been there since the beginning of this game but I see that the majority of those who say that very same thing are those who were "QQing" back when the game was way too time consuming and Inaccessable. Just something to think about from observation. But I digress, and agree with you OP

Quote Originally Posted by Deztru View Post
    Well of course regarding the title "legendary" it still needs to take long to obtain.

But it should be actually hard, not just grinding for the win. Not like the last boss of the green warlock fire quest, read a guide -> done
    no no, let us go even forther, imo the best skill to aquire legendery was in vanilla and tbc, praying to rng gods every week for it to drop, TRULY an indiction of skill.

the corrent model is fine, ppl that bothered playing the expension being awarded after long journey, and the ppl that only log to once in a while dont have it.

basicly, no legendery was hard to obtain, all of them took either time, or praying to rng god
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

It shouldn't be quick to get, but when I wasn't actively raiding (which was all of MoP other than SoO, go figure) it was a huge drag to go through LFR every-fucking-week AFTER I'd gotten all of the gear I wanted just for those wretched sigils, runestones and whatever was on the menu at the time was awful.

It should have a much smaller item collection phase and then pad it out with quests unlocked per day or peer week, like the Dominance Offensive story quests. On top of that, it should focus a lot more on Brawler's Guild-esque challenges (the Celestial challenge with Wrathion was a good start) to constitute the meat of the questline. Part of me worries that they were scared of those in case people found them too hard, but I think that's something that people should just suck up, assuming that the challenge is at least ilvl-appropriate.

It was a good shot at giving a legendary to everybody, but they really, really need to reconsider how well the "grind a material from a raid" model works for non-active raiders. In my opinion, it doesn't at all, and there are much better ways of making sure that it takes some time to obtain it. This is their chance to lose the "pray to the RNG god" model in an environment without any consequences, and they really should take it.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2014-01-29 at 04:53 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I can tell, the legendary cloak is harder to get than almost any other legendary item in the game.

The thing is, it's as hard for "elite" players to get it as it is for "scrubs" to get it.

That's the thing that bothers a few people. It should be easy for the elite players and impossible for the scrubs. That's what makes something legendary. But I don't see it that way. *shrug*

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    It shouldn't be quick to get, but when I wasn't actively raiding (which was all of MoP other than SoO, go figure) it was a huge drag to go through LFR every-fucking-week AFTER I'd gotten all of the gear I wanted just for those wretched sigils, runestones and whatever was on the menu at the time was awful.
    The stones dropped in Normal and Heroic -- you could have run those instead of LFR.

Now, you can get them from Flex if you don't like LFR.

Suppose that stones only dropped from difficulties equal to or greater than those you had cleared. So, if you had done normal MSV, you could not get any more sigils by running MSV LFR. Would that make you happier?

Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    "Legendary" is an item color. That's it. It doesn't have to feel a certain way or be sufficiently difficult to acquire. It's name has to be orange. That's it.
    Fully agree with that. It feel like a powerful epic item with a low drop rate. Easy to get, just time consuming. Heck it can be obtained by semi afking in LFR .... i hope the next legendary is a real legendary, not like this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Grossman View Post
    In before someone claims that length of time equates to difficulty to obtain.
    inb4 every legendary ever released in the game is a waiting game for drops.
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

I'd prefer them removing legendary items as a whole instead of leaving them as they were this addon. Afking for legendaries is hilariously bad and I'd prefer having less items as important as the meta or the cloak. Just leave it at epics or maybe change their color to orange.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    As far as I can tell, the legendary cloak is harder to get than almost any other legendary item in the game.

The thing is, it's as hard for "elite" players to get it as it is for "scrubs" to get it.

That's the thing that bothers a few people. It should be easy for the elite players and impossible for the scrubs. That's what makes something legendary. But I don't see it that way. *shrug*
    To be fair, it is an interesting situation. Getting an ilvl 600 item without even stepping foot into anything greater than LFR is completely unprecedented, and similar questlines (in particular, I'm thinking Quel'delar here) didn't even break ICC10's ilvl by much, if I'm remembering correctly. It doesn't bother me particularly that the cloak is available to everyone, but having an all-classes BiS that makes even heroic warforged items look like a joke is a pretty radical shift. I can understand why some people would look at this and say "why can you get BiS from LFR"?

It also did a good job of making my guild groan every time a cloak drops in SoO. Literal waste of a drop because we all have the cloak. The same thing will happen to any slot that gets graced with this kind of legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by sargior View Post
    OP. This is your interpretation of what a legendary should be and feel like. Blizz interpretation is clearly what they wanted to achieve making the legendary accessible to everyone who put the effort in making sure people who deserve it don't miss out.

I actually rarely see it in lfr especially on someone only in lfr gear.

Bottom line. I agree with blizz and I am glad they have done this.
    That's another problem with it... You don't notice it's there even when someone does have it. Unless you are going to start inspecting people or checking recount / skada logs for the spell proc won't even notice someone has it. You would instantly notice if someone had thunderfury or shadowmourne.

Quote Originally Posted by Deztru View Post
    Wouldn't a legendary weapon that scales with your avg. item level be cool? It would be better for HC raiders than LFR heroes.
    Scaling is iffy.
    I am very against the elitist attitude that the legendary should have be denied to LFR that tends to go around, but if there was a good way to have different tiers of it for the different difficulties then that I could get behind.

Back OT - there is nothing legendary about a random drop.
    Rarity does not make a legendary worthy of being a legendary.
    It was sheer dumb luck mostly that determined who got it.
    How quickly someone progressed in the content had no bearing.

The difficulty of the current legendary is questionable, which is why I would support a tiered version.
    But in no way is that not worthy of being a legendary when you compare to previous ones fairly.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-01-29 at 05:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post

The stones dropped in Normal and Heroic -- you could have run those instead of LFR.

Now, you can get them from Flex if you don't like LFR.

Suppose that stones only dropped from difficulties equal to or greater than those you had cleared. So, if you had done normal MSV, you could not get any more sigils by running MSV LFR. Would that make you happier?
    Re-read my post. I didn't raid during that patch, meaning that LFR was my only option. If you raid normals or heroic, you have a reason to go back every week, and you're not going to be in a "but I already have the gear" situation unless you've already smacked down all of Heroic - which is unlikely.

LFR is different. In terms of progression, you're done with it as soon as you have the gear. Out of those who got their cloak exclusively from LFR, many of them that I know had to return just for that purpose after they'd already gotten the equipment they wanted, which was a big bummer. Queuing and clearing it just the legendary components was one hell of a time sink, and leaves a much more bitter taste in the mouth than raiding for another purpose and getting the quest drops alongside it.

If they want non-raiders to get the cloak, they should rethink the raid drop step. The dynamics of progression and loot between LFR and normal/heroic are quite different, but the design didn't reflect this.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2014-01-29 at 05:15 AM.

What crappy server are you on that Shadowmourne was rare? I have it on my DK and my pally and my main was a rogue. Also the DK got his entirely through pick up groups I started with the shards on reserve. IMO Shadowmourne and Fangs of the Father were waaaay easier to get then this cape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of those who got their cloak exclusively from LFR, many of them that I know had to return just for that purpose after they'd already gotten the equipment they wanted, which was a big bummer.
    I got my legendary cloak the other day and I still need drops from LFR wing 4.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    I got my legendary cloak the other day and I still need drops from LFR wing 4.
    From Siege of Orgrimmar? I'm talking about during 5.2 and 5.0, keeping up with the quests as they were current. 5.3 was particularly bad for me, as I'd gotten most things I needed from LFR (with some wings being completely redundant) but still needed the drops.

Edit: Meant 5.0 and 5.2. Got my numbers mixed up.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2014-01-29 at 05:25 AM.

Both models have merit. Seems to be a huge misconception with the previous model though.

Understand this, the collection aspect on both is identical. They still require luck, and were given over the same period of time.
    If it took 5 weeks for most people to get the gathering portion for the legendary meta gem, it took 5 weeks for a stage of the staff.

Arguable took longer this time than previous legendaries, especially considering it was meant to take the whole tier.

The part I will agree with however is the individual challenges that were presented. The Staff and Daggers had far more interesting solo scenarios than the Wrathion line.
    Although I know a LOT of people who quit the line because they were too casual to figure out the scenario before the gem...

Either way, the MoP model allows GMs to not have to worry about the drama surrounding legendaries, especially if some one decides to leave the guild after getting it.
    This is a huge issue, and for that reason alone I prefer the current model.
    Although in the same breath I don't like that all 25 people in my raid have the legendary, its much easier to deal with than having to worry who gets the next one and whether or not they are going to quit mid tier because of "night classes."

No matter what they chose, as long the lore is as amazing as it was this chain I will be satisfied.

Please don't call getting a legendary difficult though, especially when you are talking about the actual collection part!

LFR is different. In terms of progression, you're done with it as soon as you have the gear. Out of those who got their cloak exclusively from LFR, many of them that I know had to return just for that purpose after they'd already gotten the equipment they wanted, which was a big bummer. Queuing and clearing it just the legendary components was one hell of a time sink, and leaves a much more bitter taste in the mouth than raiding for another purpose and getting the quest drops alongside it.
    What's the exact issue with that again ?

Deleted
    legendary is fine as it is. i enjoyed getting a legendary this expansion and i'll enjoy getting one in the next expansion.

seeing people getting butthurt over it makes it even sweeter.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tell me OP which is more skillful hm?

1) RNG? Killing the same boss over and over and over and over and over

2) Do the raid instance over and over and over and over and over

3) Suffer in LFR in addition you need to dedicate your self into the entire expansion to get the dumb cloak

None of those took skill None The only skilled legendary was at'ish that's it nothing else, Let us review the past hm?

Thunderfury: Kill Garr and Baron until they drop their bindings then collect 10 ingots - > All RNG

Sulfuras: Kill the final boss until he drops it in addition to making another item - > All RNG

At'ish: Kill the same bosses oh wait, naxx 40 was hard huh? I experienced it I don't know about you! - > All RNG

Warglaives: Kill the same boss again....and again? - > All RNG

Thore'dai: Same thing - > All RNG

Do I have to explain everything else from the past? Can any of you counter me? Hahaha cmon lets see you :P
    Last edited by Resentful; 2014-01-29 at 05:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    From Siege of Orgrimmar? I'm talking about during 5.3 and 5.1, keeping up with the quests as they were current. 5.3 was particularly bad for me.
    I had the first part done when current, went and played some alts, and I needed some items from ToT as well as legendary mats when SoO was up.

Finishing the Valor run and then coming back for SoO was the best play for me.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1