Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Axe ad "Make Love, Not War"

Hey mmo-c!

For those who do not know the ad I will talk about, here it is:

The ad has a little twist and has a nice message, but I can't resist to question the picture material used. They show Soviet, Asian and Arabic leaders as warmongers, before they make it a happy end. This is very stereotypical and not very close to reality, considering how many conflicts were started by western countries in the last decades against the imaged the countries. Of course this is an European company with it's main businesses in Europe and NA, so course we won't be opposed with warmongers in front the Big Ben, windmills or the Statue of Liberty, because it'd be offending. But in my opinion this ad should have never focused on specific groups anyway. I know it's only an ad and I won't take it very serious, but the propaganda and the stereotypes made me facepalm.

What is your opinion? Is the ad fine, should it be canceled/changed? Keep your answers civil though and don't start nation bashing. Thanks

Boring commercial. I guess it's slightly racist in the sense you're mentioning but I wouldn't put too much thought into it.

the only thing offensive here is that people still buy enough Axe products that they're still in business.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Hm... aren't there US Soldiers "attacking" an farmer village in Vietnam? Or do those guys not count, since they are just soldies and not a head of a particular state?

I really didnt see any warmongering going on there??
    "I'm a beaver in a hole, if you don't know what that is then I feel sorry for you"

Quote Originally Posted by wookybear View Post
    I really didnt see any warmongering going on there??
    well it kind of preys on the stereotype to present the initial "fear" and in turn the "irony." You expect the arab is pulling out some sort of doomsday trigger or whatever, but then it turns out to be whatever it was...I don't even remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    the only thing offensive here is that people still buy enough Axe products that they're still in business.
    I only buy it when its on sale for half price.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I only buy it when its on sale for half price.
    I got some for Christmas and I gave it to charity.

Dude it is satire ... and even though I live in one of these countries, I don't care about what "Western" countries think about my people, because sometimes they are right, but most of the time is that I don't really give a shit ^^

I like the full length one but hate that its for deodorant. Hell be for anything even tampons but deodorant.

Axe are marketing geniuses. I'm fairly certain their products are awful for you.

Currently Playing: Eldevin

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    They used preconditioned stereotyping to give a bigger message. Stop making a big deal over nothing they used these groups for the simple facts many people have these preconceived images of them. I guess some people aren't smart enough to figure out the point...

Didn't think axes target market was "smart people" in fact...

Currently Playing: Eldevin

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    They used preconditioned stereotyping to give a bigger message. Stop making a big deal over nothing they used these groups for the simple facts many people have these preconceived images of them. I guess some people aren't smart enough to figure out the point...
    Yeah, I'm so dumb that I can't recognize the use of stereotypes, cliches and controversies in media & ads, I needed you to call it out for me, bravo.

If you would have read my post, you'd have recognized it btw, talking about smartness... I question the political correctness of this ad, so to say. Surely you wouldn't be very fond of your nation being focused on in the ad, no? Because there are also a lot of people who would have the same preconceived image of your nation. Though I doubt the ad would survive in the western media world...

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Yeah, I'm so dumb
    At least you are willing to admit it.
    Surely you wouldn't be very fond of your nation being focused on in the ad, no? Because there are also a lot of people who would have the same preconceived image of your nation. Though I doubt the ad would survive in the western media world...
    I don't give 2 shits if the Axe commercial in Russia has Americans depicted we are already thought of as bible toting warmongers. Does that make the stereotype correct? Surely you must be intelligent enough to be able to recognize prejudices that ignorant people spout aren't always true? I read your post whining about political correctness and it's something a lot of us are tired of hearing people whine about. It's a commercial aimed at teenage boys and young 20 year old men to sell some cheap ass shit to make them feel like they can nail a supermodel. Perhaps since no fat or unattractive girls were portrayed we should be up at arms about false advertising while we are at it.

Keep it civil
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-02-08 at 03:12 PM.

well i think the ad was fine, it started with a pre-tense and ended on a light note, it made you think something bad would happen but it didn't.

also i don't use deo every day, but i would rather smell of lynx than bed sweat. the cheaper deos smell much worst, at least they have a rather extensive range of odors so even if you do dislike most of them there probably is one you'll find isn't so bad.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-02-08 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    The ad has a little twist and has a nice message, but I can't resist to question the picture material used. They show Soviet, Asian and Arabic leaders as warmongers, before they make it a happy end. This is very stereotypical and not very close to reality, considering how many conflicts were started by western countries in the last decades against the imaged the countries. Of course this is an European company with it's main businesses in Europe and NA, so course we won't be opposed with warmongers in front the Big Ben, windmills or the Statue of Liberty, because it'd be offending. But in my opinion this ad should have never focused on specific groups anyway. I know it's only an ad and I won't take it very serious, but the propaganda and the stereotypes made me facepalm.

What is your opinion? Is the ad fine, should it be canceled/changed? Keep your answers civil though and don't start nation bashing. Thanks
    Are you honestly so uninformed to the point that you believe North Korea and Iran (what the video was referencing) are anywhere... REMOTELY close ethically to the US?!

I get that some people love to hate the US, but suggesting something like that is asinine.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Spectacular specific bias on my part, but I'm immediately touched by the East Asian woman (presumably Vietnamese) and the white (presumably American) soldier. Unreasonable and stupid, but the people look like myself and girlfriend, so it hits home. In another time and place, things could have been bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by plat0nic View Post
    Didn't think axes target market was "smart people" in fact...
    Yeah, only stupid people use deodorant. Enlightened people smell bad, 24/7.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Naftc View Post
    I like the full length one but hate that its for deodorant. Hell be for anything even tampons but deodorant.
    Is this satire?

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude, it's just a commercial. Use that soft spot in your heart to worry about much grander issues.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its only an ad on tv don't take it personal like other people do. How about you worry about yourself and things will work better with positive attitude and stress is the number 1 killer with massive heart attacks.