Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubalus View Post
    As for humane lets look at the definition :
    humane
    1. characterized by tenderness, compassion, and sympathy for other beings, esp. for the suffering or distressed.
    War is neither of those things , it brings suffering and distress, there is no compassion, there is no sympathy and it sure as hell ain't tender and it involves the deliberate killing of other human beings what ever the reason, you can't get anymore inhumane as that imo. so how is that narrow minded ? It's the wrong word for anything to do with war, if anything you could probably use 'considerate warfare' still a stretch imo but what the hell if we need to define it. you can say you start a war out of humane consideration ofc but the war it self is never humane imo.
    I am not saying that war is humane in itself, of course not. But there is a reason we have developed weaponry which causes as little damage to civilian life as possible (even if it doesn't always work perfectly); there is a reason we aren't using our nukes to destroy half of the middle east. You could argue that this comes down to fearing repercussions from other countries; but the only reason these repercussions are a consideration is because we know that the deaths of millions upon millions of innocents could never be seen as excusable.

Saying 'war is inhumane' is a blanket statement and blanket statements are ALWAYS lazy. It's pretty clear that the humanity of warfare has developed significantly over the last century, among developed countries at least.

whats wrong with the real world?

give away all your stuff, move to Tibet and become a monk

The OP is complaining because he finds people with phones, on twitter, on TV and in various other outlets to be annoying to him. I do as well but I'm not going to go complain about it on a public forum like that. People are dumb, they're annoying, deal with it. Just look at the replies to this thread. Everyone here thinks the same way most people do. They're smarter than everyone else and everyone else is really dumb. Why do you think everyone always replies with something that insinuates the person they're replying to might be stupid?

Guy: *asks question/states something*
    Responder: uhh.... that's not how it happened?... LOL/Not exactly. Maybe you should read up more, like I have because of X reason.

World is full of assholes and annoying little cliqued douchebags. You have to deal with it. If you want less exposure to it, don't use web forums, don't go to facebook or twitter, stop watching celebrity news or 'reality' shows. It's up to you how much exposure you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikeydeath View Post
    What would be the issues with it
    That we don't have any mountains where I life.

I love how people think I'm some stupid neckbeard just because I had an idea

Anyone that's board with the nearly infinite number of entertainment and education options available in the modern world is unlikely to gain great joy from sitting in an empty ass cabin. Failure to interact with other human beings in a pleasant fashion does not imply that asceticism will bring happiness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    In that case, I was mistaken about the last 50 years. But it's still madness to claim that this decade/century/whatever is plagued by war more than any other in history.

And I strongly dispute your claim about warfare and humanity. The statement 'warfare is never humane' is downright lazy and narrow-minded. I did not say it was completely humane, what I said was that we are MORE humane now than we have been in the past. Which is certainly true.

And honestly, 134,000 civilian deaths in 8-10 years of conflict is nothing. Compare 6.6 million in WWI, and 2.7 million in the Korean War. Obviously WWII doesn't bear thinking about.
    This is the problem with our world now. rly? nothing?. Death is death and kill is kill, the amount does not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikeydeath View Post
    I love how people think I'm some stupid neckbeard just because I had an idea
    I love how you focus on just those negative posters and emphasize a victim mentality while completely ignoring the positive ones with helpful suggestions.

Essentially, I'm thinking that's your problem right there. You LOOK for the negative in everything to reinforce your fear/belief and completely dismiss all that's good in the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Anyone that's board with the nearly infinite number of entertainment and education options available in the modern world is unlikely to gain great joy from sitting in an empty ass cabin. Failure to interact with other human beings in a pleasant fashion does not imply that asceticism will bring happiness.
    Reminds me of a great Discworld Quote from Death in Terry Pratchet's novel: Hogfather.

"Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokke View Post
    This is the problem with our world now. rly? nothing?. Death is death and kill is kill, the amount does not matter.
    I knew, I just knew, that somewhere from the pit of mmo-champ posters some muppet would say this.

You know perfectly well that wasn't the point of my post. Yes, 130k is a lot of deaths. Yes, it's sad. But for a lengthy conflict? We should count ourselves lucky it isn't more. And that's largely down to the lengths taken to avoid civilian casualties.

oculus rift

living like a bear 24/7

You could think of it this way: We're at a point in technology that's just about possible.

I've toyed with the idea once or twice, but in the end, the mountains are cold, and despite the name, there is no Mountain Dew to be found.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

People should stop feeling sad for themselves because the sad things are happening to other people.

I mean: You can look at horrible situations all across the world, while you're not there yourself, and feel miserable about all the horrible stuff that's going on, but ultimately... That's just selfish. Those other people are in horrible situations. Show some compassion.

what do you want? a perfect utopia where everyone holds each others hands?

perfect good is just as bad as perfect evil.. with either, there is no room for improvement and the routine becomes the same.

with balance, or rather a constant struggle between order and chaos, this world couldnt be more perfect.. makes every day unique and fun.

as for mountain/isolation stuff, you might need a permit depending on where you live.. go to a third world country and no one will care.

10+ Year Old Account
    You... I remember you.

IN THE MOUNTAINS
    "The sword is mightier than the pen, and considerably easier to kill with."

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    You can stop reading forums and mainstream news. You'll be surprised how much happier you'll be
    This is probably true :/
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    Sounds really boring tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Bubalus View Post
    As for humane lets look at the definition :
    humane
    1. characterized by tenderness, compassion, and sympathy for other beings, esp. for the suffering or distressed.
    War is neither of those things , it brings suffering and distress, there is no compassion, there is no sympathy and it sure as hell ain't tender and it involves the deliberate killing of other human beings what ever the reason, you can't get anymore inhumane as that imo. so how is that narrow minded ? It's the wrong word for anything to do with war, if anything you could probably use 'considerate warfare' still a stretch imo but what the hell if we need to define it. you can say you start a war out of humane consideration ofc but the war it self is never humane imo.
    That's totally ridiculous, not to mention extremely offensive. You've basically accused every warrior in the history of the world to have done what they did motivated by a desire to harm others, rather than by the desire to protect others. The latter obviously happens, but to assert that the former doesn't makes you deserving of a punch to the face.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yami View Post
    There has always been sadness in the world we just now see more of thanks to television and internet being around.
    I love this <3