Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Abolishing female prisons.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wom...s-prisons.html

I bumped into this interesting little article.

It is already well known women receive significantly more lenient jail sentences then men, but would you go as far as abolishing prison sentences for all none violent female offenders?

If you agree with that shouldn't we abolish all non violent jail sentences regardless of gender?

(Clarification, I don't believe we shouldn't give jail sentences for non-violent crimes.)
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2014-03-12 at 12:31 AM.

Deleted
    Its positive sexism so it's ok I guess I mean woman are basically as responsible as children give them some slack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I don't much like the idea of children being born (or possibly killed in the womb) while in prison, or forcibly sterilizing prisoners to avoid this situation, or increasing the cost of prison by having to pay for them.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

One idiot's opinion. Isn't it time we stop incarcerating female offenders?
    No, it isn't.

Tadaa.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Because I don't much like the idea of children being born (or possibly killed in the womb) while in prison, or forcibly sterilizing prisoners to avoid this situation, or increasing the cost of prison by having to pay for them.
    It's a women's prison we're talking about. Not a mixed one. If somebody gets pregnant while incarcerated, then it should be obvious that it was an abuse of power by one of the prison wards. Meaning you've got an entirely different problem on your hands.

However, even so: Nothing should just excuse a person. You do your crime, you do your time. You can't just demand a 'get out of jail free'-card for owning a uterus.
    Last edited by Stir; 2014-03-12 at 12:22 AM.

Adoptions, foster care. Plus women already jailed shouldn't get pregnant in jail. If they do...well something is wrong there.

Deleted
    You could argue that the mother is not capeable to provide an adequate eviroment to raise a child and hence take it away we do that with childrens outside of prisons too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    If you agree with that shouldn't we abolish all non violent jail sentences regardless of gender?
    A) That's a pretty large leap to make there. B) I feel they should get the exact same sentencing as men. I also want to add i think it's near laughable to eliminate nonviolent prison sentences. As someone who used to work in a jail, I can tell you from my experiences the worst people are usually the ones in for non violent crimes. But as some of you have the misconception that since it's not violent it's not a real crime I won't go into it further.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I read this wrong, I thought it was talking about co-ed prisons. >.>
    Last edited by Conspicuous Cultist; 2014-03-12 at 12:34 AM.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I don't much like the idea of having a vagina acting as leverage to get you a greatly reduced punishment for the crime you committed.
    You dare question the might of the vagina?

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    A) That's a pretty large leap to make there. B) I feel they should get the exact same sentencing as men. I also want to add i think it's near laughable to eliminate nonviolent prison sentences. As someone who used to work in a jail, I can tell you from my experiences the worst people are usually the ones in for non violent crimes. But as some of you have the misconception that since it's not violent it's not a real crime I won't go into it further.
    You misunderstood me. I don't believe we shouldn't give jail sentences for non-violent crimes. I'm just pointing out the detail that those who advocate for this happen to not include men into their little plan.

How does this even REMOTELY make sense.

Like, what reasoning is there behind this?
    Last edited by Ticj; 2014-03-12 at 12:36 AM.

Deleted
    Women cannot commit crimes now? The person that should be jailed is the person that suggested this stupid act.

10+ Year Old Account
    I consider myself feminist, in the sense that for certain things I would like to be equal to a man. The thing about equal rights though is that they go both ways. If a woman can get out of jail for being pregnant, then a man should be able to get out of prison if his wife delivers a baby. Except that makes no sense, right? Exactly. Prison terms should be the same for both sexes.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Women cannot commit crimes now? The person that should be jailed is the person that suggested this stupid act.
    Apparently it was already approved by government 6 years ago according to the article. It just seems that they are slacking with the implementation.

you do realize women cannot get pregnant by other women right.

What the actual... I don't care about the statistics, especially when they come from a potentially sexist group.
    Even then, statistics also show men are doing better in some things but they pull a sexist card when you mention that.
    Jail time should be exactly the same, no exceptions.

also the "journalism" in this "article" is a steamy piece of crap. It couldn't be more biased.

On a side note, why is every woman rights activist ugly as hell? :P

Adoptions, foster care. Plus women already jailed shouldn't get pregnant in jail. If they do...well something is wrong there.
    Conjugal visit

Deleted
    Apparently it was already approved by government 6 years ago according to the article. It just seems that they are slacking with the implementation.
    Mindfuck dat chivalry the one that doesn't leave marks when he beats her unlike chauvinism his cousin.

I believe all criminals should be locked up until the behavior that caused them to be locked up is corrected. So when your sentenced its not for 1 year 0r 10 years your simply put into a controlled environment and go through a behavior correction program until you can be released into the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticj View Post
    How does this even REMOTELY make sense.

Like, what reasoning is there behind this?
    They reason women have a harder time in jail.
    They are more likely to get depressed.
    Their families are more affected by their absence.
    They are in jail because of men. (As in they commit crimes for their partners/husbands, like drug trafficking, money laundering etc. Essentially they are more often accomplices rather then being primary perpetrators, at least so claims the article.)

*Disclaimer* These are the reasons given in the article.