Thread: Kids these days

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Kids these days

Since when did kids these days start trash-talking close/back-and-forth games or even all games, not not just blowouts. You are not 10x better than someone in a close match. They are, in fact, a worthy opponent for you when that's the case. It makes no sense to trash talk unless it's a blowout, you only make yourself look stupid.

/shrug

*Edit for clarification: Not talking about normal trash talking, but the kind where you say you dominated someone when you didn't.
    Last edited by cutterx2202; 2014-03-18 at 06:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There is absolutely nothing about having lots and lots of sex that means you're going to have a kid.

I suspect it's always been that way but it wasn't encountered as frequently in the past because gaming wasn't sufficiently mainstream to have those sort of people be absolutely everywhere.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Since when did kids these days start trash-talking close/back-and-forth games or even all games, not not just blowouts. You are not 10x better than someone in a close match. They are, in fact, a worth opponent for you when that's the case. It makes no sense to trash talk unless it's a blowout, you only make yourself look stupid.

/shrug
    I don't remember a time when this wasn't true. All the way back to before the internet.

It hasn't always been that way, not even close, just the last few years I've noticed, or children that copy other players not knowing why they did something.

ex) Player A and Player B have a short fight. Player C comes along just as Player A dominates and kills Player B. Player A then teabags Player B, and Player C sees it.

Later, Player C and Player D have a long, close fight, and as Player C finally kills player D, Player C teabags Player D without justification because they want to be cool, too. Player C looks like an idiot or a child.
    Last edited by cutterx2202; 2014-03-18 at 05:43 PM.
    There is absolutely nothing about having lots and lots of sex that means you're going to have a kid.

It hasn't always been that way, not even close, just the last few years I've noticed.
    So you never played the games the younger generation back then played is what you said. CS 1.6 and I imagine Quake has been VERY prevalent with trash talk all throughout their history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    He's telling you upfront what's going to take. It's not ninja looting. It's pirate looting! YAARRRR!!!

As long as there has been competition, there has been trash talking. Playing Golden Eye on the N64 with my cousin and friends we would trash talk each other. Hell we would even do that while playing board games. It just now with the internet you are able to see that everyone else does it also.
    "Oh, you know what? You could bitch about anything couldn't you?" - Leonard L. Church

Because kids are assholes and any sense of respect learned from parental figures was lost when parents refused to parent and tried to distract kids with toys. In other words it's always been like this and it's only getting worse.

It hasn't always been that way, not even close, just the last few years I've noticed.
    I don't know what else to tell you except that I'm in my 30s and can remember these people in the real world all the way back in my childhood and in gaming during the days of Duke Nukem 3D, i.e. the late 90s.

It's been proven that "kids these days" statements have been used for generations. Every generation thinks the up coming one is terrible and we're all doomed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    As long as there has been competition, there has been trash talking. Playing Golden Eye on the N64 with my cousin and friends we would trash talk each other. Hell we would even do that while playing board games. It just now with the internet you are able to see that everyone else does it also.
    The trashtalk you talk about is just funny, but this trashtalk in a game is just sad. People who do that always seem to have an IQ atleast under 90 who trashtalk like that and insult everything and everyone, just because they think they're superior. That's totally different from you and your cousin bashing each other at the kitchen table.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    I don't remember a time when this wasn't true. All the way back to before the internet.
    I disagree, up until 8 years ago, I didn't see that behaviour as frequently. And when it started to peak ingame, and all the nasty shit started, (like stealing raid i.d.'s) was around naxx2.0.
    To be quite honest, I actually noticed a shift in behaviour around the end of the cold war, draw your own sociological conclusions about that.
    I assure you there are some.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    I blame FPS players invading other genres
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a lot of vitriol in Counter-Strike 1.6 for sure. I almost want to say that was where 'scrub' originated...

15+ Year Old Account
    I blame COD

Actually I just blame the average gamer age going down; people who are 10-14 are in the mindset of growing up that trash talk like that is cool, and they don't really grow out of it until 17-18ish, where as before you didn't really start playing multiplayer games until you were 16-18 probably and had started the "grow-out" process
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

If anything trashtalking has gotten dumber and less interesting over the years. "Back in the day" doing QWTF/Team Fortress Classic with competitive leagues and all of that shit the trashtalk was half the game. Before during and after, leagues had to start implementing rules against open chat it was so bad at times. It would carry on for weeks and months, sometimes years between clans...eventually you get to know them so well the trashtalk becomes about anything. Little nerds acting like fuckers, calling people "faggots" or spitting racial epithets on XBox Live or DOTA have nothing on that level of trashtalk.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    You must of not played sports with your friends growing up. Trash talking is part of growing up in any competitive environment. My friends would trash talk me all the time when we were playing pickup games. MJ trashed talk, Reggie miller trash talked... some of the best competitors in the world trash talk. It's all about getting inside the other players head and making them mad... either you bring the best out of them or you make them do a stupid move because they're emotional unstable.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Its always been this way. It even happened prior to video games - two different teams having such rivalry that they'll insult or even assault each other.

Maybe it seems worse now that you've grown up a little and aren't part of that culture anymore. But don't kid yourself into thinking it never happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Actually I just blame the average gamer age going down;
    This may be true. It may otherwise/also be true that for the average adult gamer, online games didn't really come around until late teens or adulthood, and played like we were playing face to face like we were used to. Respect and all that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    You must *have* not played sports with your friends growing up. Trash talking is part of growing up in any competitive environment. My friends would trash talk me all the time when we were playing pickup games. MJ trashed talk, Reggie miller trash talked... some of the best competitors in the world trash talk. It's all about getting inside the other players head and making them mad... either you bring the best out of them or you make them do a stupid move because they're emotional unstable.
    I played multiple sports. I'm not talking about normal sports trash talk. I'm talking about the kind where you say you dominated someone when obviously you didn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gary Payton talked trash to Michael Jordan, perhaps the greatest player ever...

People talk trash to gain a psychological edge, either by building themselves up or by breaking the opponent down. I do think it can seem a bit disgusting, and I surely don't do it, but the score of a match (whether it is a blowout or close) has little to do with if the trashtalk is warranted or appropriate. Some would say trashtalk during a blowout is actually worse, as you obviously don't need the mental advantage at this point and you're just rubbing it in.
    "Brevity is...wit"