Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

People seem to lack knowledge, skill and above all motivation to acquire it.

I am currently setting up another business of my own on the side and I'm in the process of recruiting the right people for it.
    The plan is to make it function primarily with students and graduates under the leadership of 2 or 3 experienced people.

Now, people here in the Netherlands/Holland are complaining a lot the last years about not being able to find a job so I was expecting a lot of interest when starting the recruitment and lots of knowledge, skills and enthusiasm to "choose" from. Well,... I was half right.

People responded in large numbers for different functions. The problem is though... people really lack in the skill and knowledge.
    What baffles me the most is that many people followed their education to the letter without expanding their knowledge/skills beyond that.
    They can literally only do that wich they had to do, by the book and that that's it.

And then there is the lack of enthusiasm. People don't seem to want to work at all. They always give me the impression they have to do it just for the money and they refuse to do anything "extra" to stand out or to grow and develop themselves.

Is this something of the current time and age?

P.s. Oh and when I gave some students a tour of the building they were busy texting/whatsapping while walking around and missing half of it. Believe me, if you do this, no one will hire you....

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people are incredibly mediocre (which isn't a surprise since that is the definition of mediocrity), but NO ONE wants to admit it. People love to complain about how it's supposedly so difficult to find a job after college, but really, it's not. You just have to work hard, but the self-entitlement that plagues people in the 21st century prevents them from doing this at all. Everyone feels as though they're entitled to success and ease or something.

I have a friend who is graduating from his business program this year. He worked really hard and got involved in a myriad of different things ranging from several unpaid internships to community service, and now he's proverbially drowning in job opportunities. Compare that to the rest of his graduating class who are pretty much struggling right now. Funnily enough, most of them attribute his success to "luck" rather than his grit and perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I am currently setting up another business of my own on the side and I'm in the process of recruiting the right people for it.
    The plan is to make it function primarily with students and graduates under the leadership of 2 or 3 experienced people.

Now, people here in the Netherlands/Holland are complaining a lot the last years about not being able to find a job so I was expecting a lot of interest when starting the recruitment and lots of knowledge, skills and enthusiasm to "choose" from. Well,... I was half right.

People responded in large numbers for different functions. The problem is though... people really lack in the skill and knowledge.
    What baffles me the most is that many people followed their education to the letter without expanding their knowledge/skills beyond that.
    They can literally only do that wich they had to do, by the book and that that's it.

And then there is the lack of enthusiasm. People don't seem to want to work at all. They always give me the impression they have to do it just for the money and they refuse to do anything "extra" to stand out or to grow and develop themselves.

P.s. Oh and when I gave some students a tour of the building they were busy texting/whatsapping while walking around and missing half of it. Believe me, if you do this, no one will hire you....

I can't speak to how it is in the Netherlands, and I can't answer your question regarding if this is a phenomenon of the current age. However, this is something I have noticed in my part of the United States. I teach in a professional, graduate level program at a University and a very common complaint among the faculty is that nobody seems to be interested in developing as a person and professional. They just want to coast through.

In my opinion (from an educator's perspective) we are doing too much "teaching to the test" and stopped inspiring the curiosity that comes along with being a life long learner. Learning should be enjoyable and should be something we do because we want to do it. I could say that this may be a product of an excessive amount of emphasis placed on testing in elementary and secondary schools, but thats not my area so I don't know how correct that statement would be.

Deleted
    May i ask in what sector your company is in?

10+ Year Old Account

For me, it is an internal debate between being a productive member of the the world, some call it a slave to your career. Or enjoying life.

I work 5 days a week, 9 hours a day with an hour commute each way plus an hour to get ready. 12 hours of my day is dedicated to my career. I get my 8 hours of sleep a night, 20 hours of my day is used. I have 4 hours a day, 5 days a week for "me time" Why should I spend that time on anything but personal pleasure?

Granted, I have 2 days off each week on the weekends. That is wonderful, but much of that time is invested in taking care of things which I may not have time for during the week.

All in all, a small percentage of my time, is spent on leisure.

Now ask yourself, is that really what life is meant for? Should we just be busy little bee's, greasing the wheels and cranking the machine? Or should we spend time enjoying each other's company and being active and happy?

Some will answer one way, some will answer the other.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaigr View Post
    I'm also curious. That information may (or may not) have something to do with the lack of quality employees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Missed this part. Yeah those kids are disrespectful. You have every right to tell them this as well. While on the tour, if a prospective employee does this, detour to the front door. Explain to him/her why you are ending the tour and the interview and their potential to be hired. Teach them a lesson, otherwise they may just think you are some random asshole who, "doesn't understand them and their inner strife" like the young ones tend to claim.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

I don't quite understand normal peoples problems either.
    I've got a lot of things going against me, such as Aspergers and GAD, which severely limits how I can function. If I was a normal, well-functioning person, I would take almost any job I could find and work my ass off for it.
    Then again, I've gotten a lot of harsh, tough life experience that would motivate me working hard. I appriciate what I get and when it works for me. If I lived in the Netherlands and I could get a job with you, I would take it, if I were a normally functioning person, in a heartbeat. I've been on welfare for 7 damned years and it's really, really terrible.
    Though I might start my studies again this Fall, hopefully. At a very good place. I'm motivated as hell, it's just that my diagnoses and issues kick me in the proverbial shins all the time.
    Last edited by Noomz; 2014-04-16 at 08:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    It's an interesting question. I work hard and dedicate myself to my job...okay, sorry I can't say that with a straight face. I try to work hard and keep busy while I'm on the clock but I work as a receptionist with lulls with literally nothing to do. Anyway, as I was trying to say I'm all for devoting myself to my job while I'm on the clock but anything after that is my time, period. I would rather be active and happy than be a 'busy bee'.

With everyone being little more than a number, a cog in the machine... It is no wonder that fulfillment is out of the window. Of course nobody feels gratification for their work, because nobody feels necessary. Nobody feels as if they're actually contributing, actually doing something that matters.

In a consumerist society, all that matters is the figures you make. You, as a person, are a redundancy. And most people know it. And the figures you make... Are not stimulating enough. No matter how much money you make, if you're not feeling any gratification, you're not going to be very happy.

People want to matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I always say: if working were good, I would not charge a wage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    For me, it is an internal debate between being a productive member of the the world, some call it a slave to your career. Or enjoying life.

I work 5 days a week, 9 hours a day with an hour commute each way plus an hour to get ready. 12 hours of my day is dedicated to my career. I get my 8 hours of sleep a night, 20 hours of my day is used. I have 4 hours a day, 5 days a week for "me time" Why should I spend that time on anything but personal pleasure?

Granted, I have 2 days off each week on the weekends. That is wonderful, but much of that time is invested in taking care of things which I may not have time for during the week.

All in all, a small percentage of my time, is spent on leisure.

Now ask yourself, is that really what life is meant for? Should we just be busy little bee's, greasing the wheels and cranking the machine? Or should we spend time enjoying each other's company and being active and happy?

Also a great answer. Some people find joy in learning and innovating, and these are the people employers love to scoop up because all the extra learning and training is done for free by the employee. Unfortunately that's not how a lot of people are wired.

Myself, I enjoy my job, and sometimes I can get really wrapped up in it when I'm doing things I really enjoy (ie: Programming thousands of lines of code for hours at a time). But I don't get to spend my whole work day programming, and so for me I do my work to the best of my ability, and clock out when my time is done. That and I really like to do a variety of things, so investing my personal free time on work related things seems like a huge waste of time, considering I spend almost a 3rd of all of my total available time at work.

I'm facepalming so fucking hard right now.

"I wanted to start a business that provides jobs to students and fresh graduates, but was dismayed to find that students and fresh graduates hadn't yet built their skillset beyond their education"

Really?

And how do you know they were texting? Maybe they were taking notes from the tour. Phones can do that now.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    As I always say: if working were good, I would not charge a wage.
    IF things didn't cost money, we wouldn't need to have salaries

Why should it be a requirement to do anything extra? You are hiring for a specific job. If they can do that job and do it well, than hire that person. YOU and people like you, are part of the problem with global unemployment, always searching for someone to go that extra mile, when perfectly suitable workers are right there already applying.

And why does a job have to be anything more than just a way to earn money? That's not a bad thing. Seriously, you aren't much better than these texting teenagers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium

I understand people feel that everyone else out there in the world is a piece of shit, but COME ON.
    - You got a bad batch of people that didn't know what was going on, it happens. Recruiting doesn't happen over night when you start.
    - Don't give up, keep looking. Not everyone is the way people are describing it in this thread - some people are BADASS'S

Good Luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonsurge View Post
    And why does a job have to be anything more than just a way to earn money? That's not a bad thing. Seriously, you aren't much better than these texting teenagers.
    This a million times. For example there's a leadership position that has popped up several times at my job and people are always like "Hey Gheld's real name, you should apply for that job, because you're so awesome and knowledgeable and experienced." and I constantly have to keep explaining. "I'm here to make money, and then go home at the end of the day and live my life. This place couldn't pay me enough for me to allow that line to be blurred. " There's a reason why those jobs have such a high turnaround.

And the OP just shows this ridiculous narcissistic attitude that employers have grown in the last decade. 15 years ago, employers paid millions of dollars to recruit, and were really willing to admit "We're shit, and you're the shit. Please come work for us." But now employers have completely spun that paradigm around and are wondering why they can't get results any more.

Because "Fuck you too.". That's why. We're not little meat robots that exist for your leisure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonsurge View Post
    Why should it be a requirement to do anything extra? You are hiring for a specific job. If they can do that job and do it well, than hire that person. YOU and people like you, are part of the problem with global unemployment, always searching for someone to go that extra mile, when perfectly suitable workers are right there already applying.

I'll be honest, I don't want to settle for someone who is "just "suitable" for a function. The main reason for this is I would always prefer someone who can further expand the function itself and hopefully even evolve it at some point. I like growth, for the function, the company and the person.

Plus, people who indeed go for the extra mile are people who are serious about their job and their future in my opinion.
    Also, in a time that there are so many unemployed people, how can people afford NOT to try to shine?

I'll be honest, I don't want to settle for someone who is "just "suitable" for a function. The main reason for this is I would always prefer someone who can further expand the function itself and hopefully even evolve it at some point. I like growth, for the function, the company and the person.

Plus, people who indeed go for the extra mile are people who are serious about their job and their future in my opinion.
    Also, in a time that there are so many unemployed people, how can people afford NOT to try to shine?
    Because it's pretty obvious that you think running a business means you get to sit back in the board room and jack off while everybody does all the work for you. You clearly aren't willing to roll up your sleeves and help the newbie crowd you're hiring from shine. You just expect to put them next to a light socket and screw themselves into it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaigr View Post
    Without going in too much details, I can share that it primarily focusses a combination of:
    - SEO (Search Engine optimization)
    - Online Marketing
    - A touch of Mobile application programming/design
    - Offering training and courses for (large) companies.

I may seem like an odd combination with the training, but I got something in mind that some companies have already shown interest for