Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    Why do we specifically have holidays for Jewish people here in the US, and not all other religions? Jewish people make up a smaller minority population in size than other religions.

This is similar, and just a form of equality that needs to be done.
    But the entire population of america isn't forced to change just to accommodate Jewish holidays are they? It's not comparable.

This is an example of a minority pushing the majority aside to get their own way. If it wasn't religion it would never be allowed to happen.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2014-04-06 at 12:57 PM.

Deleted
    Religion & science does not coexist just fine.
    There are some scientists or some religious folk that study both, but these are few & far between, especially when you try to find someone that does it without being hindered by their beliefs/the facts.

As for the topic:
    "Who is exempt from fasting? Those who are not required to fast during Ramadan are non-Muslims, young children, ...." yada yada...

http://www.theweek.co.uk/religion/54...-fasting-month

They`re young children, at school, doesn`t this cover them? Or is there some other hidden age limit?

As for changing hundreds of thousands or millions of other students exams dates, because of a few hundred or thousands, nope!
    Personally, I think religions should`ve been outlawed centuries ago, but they should never be allowed to interfere with anyone or anything else.
    But, this is England, so no doubt this`ll get pushed through or sent to the EU where they`ll push it through.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    One promotes accepting a pre-ordained truth at face value.
    Yet, almost all religions are written as stories that we ourselves should analyse and learn from... That some people misused that and stated their word/interpretation as the only truth, is something quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    But the entire population of america isn't forced to change just to accommodate Jewish holidays are they? It's not comparable.

This is an example of a minority pushing the majority aside to get their own way. If it wasn't religion it would never be allowed to happen.
    What are you talking about. We have like 7 days off here in New York due to Jewish Holidays. Thats 7 days of class time and test times.

That wasnt always there. You are right, they arent comparable because they have an entire week off, while every other religion that isnt Christian gets nothing.
    Chronomancer Club

I'm from Malaysia; a predominantly Muslim country. We never moved any exam dates because of Ramadhan. Then again, we don't have summer here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
    They`re young children, at school, doesn`t this cover them? Or is there some other hidden age limit?

As for changing hundreds of thousands or millions of other students exams dates, because of a few hundred or thousands, nope!
    Personally, I think religions should`ve been outlawed centuries ago, but they should never be allowed to interfere with anyone or anything else.
    But, this is England, so no doubt this`ll get pushed through or sent to the EU where they`ll push it through.
    It is often around the age of 12 but in reality it is up to the person themselves when they feel ready for such a task.

Not hundreds or thousand, hundreds of thousand (>100,000), a minority yes, still a rather substantial number.

well it took a while, but religion has finally caused a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a hard time accepting that.

One promotes finding the truth through endless question, experimentation etc.

One promotes accepting a pre-ordained truth at face value.
    Your view is wrong, you are misinformed.
    There are heaps of well respected and renown scientists that are in fact Christians.
    It's science that's to be credited why we know a lot about the historic background that does or does not match the timelines mentioned in the Bible.
    Additionally, theology is a whole science itself.
    Science is not limited to Physics and Mathematics. Last but not least.... The sole reason why religion still has such strong stance in our today's societies, despite of our vast scientific knowledge is, that until today the Mystery of Life remains unsolved.

Speaking of Ramdan..
    We do grant special treatment to Christians as well in School. If one is an devoted and practicing Christian, they too have a number of fasting periods. With the longest of them being 40 days.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

What happens when you're sick on exam day, they go on, life goes on, how is this ANY different? ALOT more people are sick from the flu than religion on exam days.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    It is often around the age of 12 but in reality it is up to the person themselves when they feel ready for such a task.

Not hundreds or thousand, hundreds of thousand (>100,000), a minority yes, still a rather substantial number.
    Ah cool, thanks for the info`, couldn`t find a stated age anywhere (google hates me hehe).

Sure, it`s still a fair few I guess, but it`s still nothing compared to those that are effected by it & not of that religion (or any?).

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    I'm from Malaysia; a predominantly Muslim country. We never moved any exam dates because of Ramadhan. Then again, we don't have summer here.
    Yet another obvious reason, wonder how many other countries are like this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
    Ah cool, thanks for the info`, couldn`t find a stated age anywhere (google hates me hehe).

Sure, it`s still a fair few I guess, but it`s still nothing compared to those that are effected by it & not of that religion (or any?).
    Well, it is just a date, so it being postponed doesn't affect them negatively, I guess?

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, Glad my country is exterminating any religious bullshit from public schools.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Additionally, theology is a whole science itself.
    Science is not limited to Physics and Mathematics. Last but not least.... The sole reason why religion still has such strong stance in our today's societies, despite of our vast scientific knowledge is, that until today the Mystery of Life remains unsolved.
    No no no no no no. An ∞ times no.

You're bumming me out.

Religion has a strong stance in our societies because its a self perpetuating system of programming the young.
    Last edited by Speaknoevil; 2014-04-06 at 01:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post

You're bumming me out.
    Just because it doesn't match your intolerant world view doesn't mean what I said is wrong.
    What is a science?
    To make it easy.....
    Anything and everything you are able to STUDY at Universities and are able to graduate as Doctor / Professor....
    Theology is one of those.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    We had to move exams from a Saturday to another day for our Jewish community over here. I think schools should be independent from religious calendars, and most importantly the parents should accepts the "rules" of the hosting country at least in this regard.
    Last edited by mmocea043e1e13; 2014-04-06 at 01:16 PM.

Deleted

You're bumming me out.
    Just a little quote on what theology is from Augustine of Hippo (one of the first major students of theology), "reasoning or discussion concerning the Deity".

Even if you always come to the answer being no or wrong, it still portraits the basics of science.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Just because it doesn't match your intolerant world view doesn't mean what I said is wrong.
    What is a science?
    To make it easy.....
    Anything and everything you are able to STUDY at Universities and are able to graduate as Doctor / Professor....
    Theology is one of those.
    sci·ence noun \ˈsī-ən(t)s\
    : knowledge about or study of the natural world based on facts learned through experiments and observation
    I am intolerant of lies, indoctrination of the defenseless, and the ilk of psychological slavery.

I think the two are directly at odds with each other religion and higher learning, but to each their own I suppose.
    '' Look at me, I am an edgy atheist, here is my I LOVE SCIENCE T-shirt, validate me ''

Please.

You all complain about how religion forces its beliefs upon you, then you litter forums with your '' I am an atheist, I am smarter by default '' bullcrap.

Some of humanity's greatest minds were religious people.

- - - Updated - - -

Lack of acceptance of scientific fact
    And this happens.. where exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexinho View Post
    '' Look at me, I am an edgy atheist, here is my I LOVE SCIENCE T-shirt, validate me ''

Please.

You all complain about how religion forces its beliefs upon you, then you litter forums with your '' I am an atheist, I am smarter by default '' bullcrap.

Some of humanity's greatest minds were religious people.
    And more often than not they were punished for it.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Postponing exams for religion, it's fine. We've had worse, in Norway...
    A few school, here I live post poned (probably more schools around the country, although I'm not 100% sure about this) the exam due to Justin Biebers concert.

Yes, you heard me right, JUSTIN BIEBER. * J U S T I N B I E B E R * ...

Their arguement was .. They're going to ditch classes anyway, so let's be flexible and help them in this so that they can go to the concert and to the exam and post poned it.

Most stupid thing I've heard. The biggest issue was not that they actually did it but that the principals at the schools said that it was fine. I mean, I got a raid tomorrow, we're doing garrosh HC please post pone my exam, OK?..

* Note * Not exam but something similiar. It's basically a huge test nonetheless.
    Last edited by Kezotar; 2014-04-06 at 01:31 PM.