Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Just like 200 people standing around ur desk whispering u the answers when u need to make an exam right?
    It's funny how big bro can't come up with anything either, you see the vicious circle here?

Big bro 10 years go: Fuck this assignment, ill ask others to help me. Cba thinking for myself
    Little bro now: Fuck this assignment, ill ask my bro to help me, cba thinking for myself.
    Big bro now: Fuck, still can't think for myself, better ask others to help me.
    Future little bro: Fuck, still can't think for myself, better ask others to help me.

Bunch of adults trying to help win a childrens assignment to think outside the box. Don't get me wrong, ur intentions are fine, but the cause is just wrong and won't result in ur brother learning anything. Just like copy pasting a book report wont.
    I understand what your saying. However there was no need to be a jerk about it. Funny thing is, i did this in 5th grade without any assistance. I can think for myself as i do everything without any kind of help. Also my little brother isn't one of those kids to do his work as he should. Spoiled as hell. I didn't want any part of the assignment he had to do because i had better things to accomplish at the time so i came here seeking some quick tips or ideas to get the project done. My mum asked for my help and truthfully i had nothing on my mind at the time.

I also understand my brother won't learn anything but the thing is, its hard to get him to do anything as he will not listen. He also has ADHD which makes it harder to deal with him without wanting to punch him in the face xD
    Just had to let you know that i am fully capable of doing it on my own. I chose a faster method by seeking ideas from others and to possibly take the idea and improve on it to make it the ultimate egg drop.

By the way, thank you everyone for the help. Greatly appreciate it and he made it to 50ft with the egg in a peanut butter jar. Not the best idea they had but it got them half way there. I also really liked the ideas everyone mentioned, really neat ones.

I've seen a kid bring a bag of rice for his, and it worked at 70 ft.

When I first did one, we were not allowed to use anything that would slow the descent, so you may want to verify whether it can be done. If you can, then use a PVC tube, filled with popcorn. You can have two "rotors on top that could easily slow the descent a great deal. Of course, it also depends on if you also have to get close to a particular target.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could always just leave the egg in the chicken.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I did one of these in junior high. We got to take a ride in a small plane and throw them out and yes, mine survived! What I did was take a (half gallon?) cardboard milk carton and filled the sides, bottom and top with balloons. Some inflated more than others. Then we put the egg in the center and duct tapped the outside of the carton. There may have been something else in the mix, but it was a while ago.
    When work feels overwhelming, remember that you're going to die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of great ideas.

When I did it, though, we were only given specific materials to use. We only had scotch tape, popsicle sticks, rubber bands and glue (that could not be used on the egg). I ended up creating a box with the popsicle sticks and stretching two rubber bands from each corner to the other (creating an X). In the enter of the rubber bands I create a 'seat' made with cut up popsicle sticks and more rubber bands to hold it in place. When it landed, the rubber bands absorbed the shock and it didn't really move at all. I won. Or well, my team won.

When my nephew did this at his school last winter they worked on it themselves, with only 1 class period worth of time, and only materials provided.

So its no surprise that every single egg broke.

Oddly enough a prize was rewarded.

It was given to a disabled kid because he "had to overcome so much".

I'm not kidding that's what the teacher told the other students.

As for my idea, put the egg in tiny box, put that box in a slightly larger box, put that box in a slightly larger box, put that box in a slightly larger box, put that box in a slightly larger box, and so on until the box becomes too cumbersome to be lifted to the drop point.

Win by default.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

I did this in 8th grade. I used a pulley system to deliver the egg from the classroom window to the floor. I think I used a clothesline kit.

10+ Year Old Account
    This sounds like so much fun, wish my family did something like that while growing up instead of only at school. It would of been more fun!

All these balloon ideas gave me an idea, and that I'm partly drunk

Tie a helium inflated balloon to the egg and presto. Minimal weight to the MAX. Maybe add some protection for the landing but cmon, engineering marvel right there

10+ Year Old Account
    You should let your brother use his imagination to come up with a solution and then test it out for himself. That's the point of the exercise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I have, unfortunately, interacted with Randec on these forums before. I know what to expect from him.

The solution is simple really. Get Albus Dumbledore to say "Arresto Momentum" right before the egg hits the concrete.

Deleted
    Balloons and duck tape. 4 balloons should do the trick.