Poll: ?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How far do you think the Russian crisis will go?

Curious to see what people say.

Quote Originally Posted by tylenol View Post
    http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/co...rdware/cgp0ubd

That guy summed it up pretty nicely
    It'd be better for them not to scar western world relations for years to come and to cut trade with Europe. I personally don't believe that they're just trying to "save face" or whatever. This is the opposite of what they should be doing and I'd think the Russian Federation would agree that you don't save face by demolishing relations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Putin will push and pull as far as he can and that'll be that.

No one, not even Putin, will risk anything that'll lead to a nuclear confrontation.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Behind every government is money. I live in the US, and I always like folks from Mother Russia. I hope everything works out for everyone in the Russia/Ukraine area. Nobody should have to deal with the crap people are dealing with over there. I honestly just wish we would stay out of this confrontation. I think if the people in the region want to become part of Russia, let them.

Where's the option for "I thought it was already over"?

Is it still going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Is it still going on?
    It's just getting interesting

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't know - I'm not an expert on these things. But a lot of the analysis suggests there's a serious chance of Russia doing something stupid (i.e. invading eastern Ukraine). They can't sustain a military campaign for long, but some kind of quick, decisive invasion might actually happen. They've certainly got a lot of hardware on the border there.

To me, it's pretty much 70/30 between Russia puffing its chest out and more raised tensions, and them actually pushing further.

Deleted
    Russia played the only real card it has (Military action), now the ball is in Europe/USA court. Russia cannot impose gas sanctions on EU without imposing a financial sanction on Russia as well (No gas for europe = no money for Russia), but more importantly Europe does not get all gas from Russia anyways, whereas Russia depends heavily on it's gas trade with europe.

Basically in the short term Russia benefits from gaining more land, sea ports etc. Long term it loses out as it has pissed off a load of countries that are now seeking ways to ditch Russia (eg No G8, find alternative energy sources).
    Last edited by mmoc3728ee3fab; 2014-04-11 at 09:16 PM.

I don't see Russia do much more than intimidating Ukraine to return to it sphere of influence and abandoning all hope of getting closer to the EU.

the EU and US won't do anything to stop it. they need their gas
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I hear people say bring War back to World of Warcraft, well how about bringing World back to World of Warcraft

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    It's a matter of time before Putin realizes he is hurting himself more with his sanctions than he is hurting Europe/US. The gas issue for example; it's either exporting it to Europe or having no income. He would hurt himself more than he would hurt Europe so it is not in his interest to do so. On the other hand, Europe/USA won't make a huge issue about the annexation of Crimea. They're just putting some useless sanctions to let Russia know not to go any further.

Long story short; just a political bitch fight, nothing is going to happen. Crimea will stay Russian.

Also, the western media, especially the American media, is REALLY biased when it comes to reporting about Russia. You really should listen to other media more, for example Aljazeera. Always try to have multiple and above all different sources.
    Last edited by Bumbasta; 2014-04-11 at 09:46 PM.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Deleted
    It's done, for a while I thought it may be another cold war but it seems like both sides are content for now.

Deleted
    He will grab Ukraine.
    Europe and US will be pussies.
    He will grab former USSR countries like Yugoslavia
    Europe and US will be pussies
    As soon as he gets to france/greek/german/italian borders, they have to act.

This person rides bears, gets to host olympics while mistreating gays, he has an underground city, he sees all the countries cower in fear as he takes Crimea.
    "Yeah uh, we not gonna buy gas from u anymore" isnt gonna scare him.

I voted Second Cold War but. Lol fear/tension from threat of nuclear weapons is much more threatening than a small skirmish or even a small war so. Your poll isn't in increasing order of badness, FYI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    "Yeah uh, we not gonna buy gas from u anymore" isnt gonna scare him.
    It's him not wanting to sell anymore, not countries not wanting to buy anymore.

You can't blame him, Ukraine has a huge debt when it comes to gas and Gazprom wants to see the money.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumbasta View Post
    It's him not wanting to sell anymore, not countries not wanting to buy anymore.

You can't blame him, Ukraine has a huge debt when it comes to gas and Gazprom wants to see the money.
    Are they threatening just Ukraine or Europe? (or both?)

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    It's done, for a while I thought it may be another cold war but it seems like both sides are content for now.
    I thought this week that "terrorists"/"pro-russian activists" had take over more government buildings in eastern ukraine?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    That depends on whether Russia decides to "defend their ethnic Russian comrades" in Donetsk and other Eastern Ukrainian cities.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I thought this week that "terrorists"/"pro-russian activists" had take over more government buildings in eastern ukraine?
    Yeah, depends where you get your news.