Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I was in mexico, I would always give something to the poor old ladies on the street. Poverty is different down there, though, especially further from the big cities.

I mostly ignore beggars up here in the states though. They seem less genuine, and less motivated to help themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I ignore them they could be working if they were that desperate for cash.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Yeah, I mean they are just a bunch lazy moochers, just like the democrats, and Detroit.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I usually give them $5, but it was Easter the other day so I gave this lady a $20. I try to do it once or twice a month. By the end of the year I may have given somewhere between $100 and $200 to street people.

The way I look at it is it makes me feel good to give and I know it feels good to receive.

Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    I usually give them $5, but it was Easter the other day so I gave this lady a $20. I try to do it once or twice a month. By the end of the year I may have given somewhere between $100 and $200 to street people.

The way I look at it is it makes me feel good to give and I know it feels good to receive.
    I like you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Because it's so easy to find a job. I have a two Bachelor's degrees and I have been looking for work for well over a year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceyx View Post
    Because it's so easy to find a job. I have a two Bachelor's degrees and I have been looking for work for well over a year.
    It's not hard to find a job that can cover basic necessities and has more dignity than standing on a street corner. Your struggles to find a good job aren't relevant to the panhandler.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    It's not hard to find a job that can cover basic necessities and has more dignity than standing on a street corner. Your struggles to find a good job aren't relevant to the panhandler.

Reeve. Put on your dirty grey wizard hat for a minute please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh really now?
    I have lowered myself to the extent that I am applying for fast food, etc. I'm either overqualified or the places that have a giant "NOW HIRING" sign out front never know wtf they're doing. Call back, call back, call back, oh we aren't hiring now. So yeah...
    I completely understand why panhandlers are "stuck in a rut" of sorts. Then again, if you donate plasma all month you can make upwards of $250 just from that... so there are definitely other ways to make money now days. Hell, you can even do odd jobs.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Has Plans View Post
    I like you.
    Thanks! I like your avatar (and you by association).

10+ Year Old Account
    I use to when I was naive.

Rarely anymore since 99% of the time that spare change just enables them.

I do however give left overs from eating out if asked.

10+ Year Old Account
    I give them like 50p each..i'm like a deer in head lights with stuff like that if they said could i give them £10 to get a packet of crisps my brain just wouldn't switch on until like 30seconds after they leave >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceyx View Post
    Oh really now?
    I have lowered myself to the extent that I am applying for fast food, etc. I'm either overqualified or the places that have a giant "NOW HIRING" sign out front never know wtf they're doing. Call back, call back, call back, oh we aren't hiring now. So yeah...
    I completely understand why panhandlers are "stuck in a rut" of sorts. Then again, if you donate plasma all month you can make upwards of $250 just from that... so there are definitely other ways to make money now days. Hell, you can even do odd jobs.
    How do they know you're overqualified? Your college degree shouldn't be listed on your application to such a job. There are certainly people out there hiring. That you can't find one tells me you're either going about it wrong or you aren't willing to widen your net enough. Have you looked at positions outside your state? What's your major?

Either way, the discussion of a recent college grad's joblessness isn't really very relevant to a panhandler.

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    I live in a liberal city where people are always given adequate shelter and basic needs, its not run by a bunch of ignorant republicans who think hindering economic growth is successful, i pay my fair share and so does everyone else, and the standard of living is higher than other parts. Republicans have waged a war on prosperity with there so called "budget balancing" even large corporations have gone liberal realizing the long term gain for their own business. Republicans are just run by a bunch of ignorant hypocritical religious nutheads, which i am glad my area has atleast realized their idiocy, unfortunately they still have a strong presence in washington, and other cities-poor souls of those people.
    I cant even begin to address how out of touch you are, can you explain then how almost every one of the most poverty stricken and decrepit areas in the US are all primarily liberal?

you show me a ghetto in the US and ill show you an area run by liberals

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookofblade View Post
    I cant even begin to address how out of touch you are, can you explain then how almost every one of the most poverty stricken and decrepit areas in the US are all primarily liberal?

you show me a ghetto in the US and ill show you an area run by liberals
    Well that's nonsense. If you're talking about big cities, well the vast majority of big cities are liberal, so your sample is biased. If you're talking about small towns, which tend to be conservative, there are thousands of failed conservative small towns all around the country.

Meanwhile there are successful big cities and small towns also all around the country, run by both liberals and conservatives.

I can't help but be moved by people on the street. There but for the grace of god go I. At the moment I'm pretty down on my luck myself but I still have more than those on the street. This past weekend I was downtown for a convention and my better half and I had gone to a movie. On the way out of the movie there was this elderly man on the corner with, I kid you not, no shirt. He was shivering and this was one of those nights where you may well die without a shirt. I gave him all the change I had in my pockets and went to the grocery store across the street to get him some soup. Sadly they had closed down their soup/salad bar. But how can you not walk past someone in that kind of situation and not feel the need to do something about it. It's heartbreaking. Thankfully, as we left the store we saw someone had given him a sweater to wear.

But short story long, I do when I feel I can part with the change myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do they know you're overqualified? Your college degree shouldn't be listed on your application to such a job. There are certainly people out there hiring. That you can't find one tells me you're either going about it wrong or you aren't willing to widen your net enough. Have you looked at positions outside your state? What's your major?

Either way, the discussion of a recent college grad's joblessness isn't really very relevant to a panhandler.
    I always like to be honest. I guess I will stop listing all my info on future apps to certain places. Regardless, out of state isn't really an option right now. I have degrees in French language and History though, but I have extensive computer skills.
    I way just pointing out that if I can't get a job, it's easy to see how panhandlers and homeless people are having massive problems.

No, I never hand out cash to anyone. I have bought homeless people food, but never cash. There are actually people out there who "work" as homeless people and can make absurd amounts of money. I'm not saying that is why I don't give cash, I just don't because I would rather them eat than even have the potential to use that money for alcohol or anything else.

Why give anyone of MY money? It's MY Money, Fuck you I will not be charged for feeding my animals on government land! .. Oh wrong thread.

Some of you really do think there are professional homeless people dont you? I guess that is ok but let me give you a little tip.
    Homelessness is not something you just stop being because you have a home or a job. It's a series of things that have to be unlearned. It's something you have to cure. so before you cast the middle class judgement on people like that, take that into mind. It does not end with a job or a home.

Also I would like to point out a lot of you work a lot less then some actual homeless people. Idk how many of you would fare with hour long food lines, or really a wait for anything you take for granted.
    Imagine being on a wait list to clean your underwear, under the supervision of someone that basically is on parole for one thing or another. Wouldn't that be fun?
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2014-04-23 at 08:27 PM.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Why give anyone of MY money? It's MY Money, Fuck you I will not be charged for feeding my animals on government land! .. Oh wrong thread.

Some of you really do think there are professional homeless people dont you? I guess that is ok but let me give you a little tip.
    Homelessness is not something you just stop being because you have a home or a job. It's a series of things that have to be unlearned. It's something you have to cure. so before you cast the middle class judgement on people like that, take that into mind. It does not end with a job or a home.

Also I would like to point out a lot of you work a lot less then some actual homeless people. Idk how many of you would fare with hour long food lines, or really a wait for anything you take for granted.
    And it's organizations like the Salvation Army down the street from my apartment who help people to learn the necessary skills and give them a place to stay in the meantime. They might have to endure some degree of proselytizing in the interim, but that should surely be better than begging all day and sleeping on the street.