Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    So, if this is considered art, is me crapping on a canvas art as well?
    I dunno, if you had something to say with your shit and people looked at it and got it, then yeah.

But I doubt it.

It's not what you do that makes it art, it's what people see in it. The Mona Lisa is just a painting of a woman.

I personally don't see much in modern art either. Modern being pretty much anything 20th century or later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Esdese View Post
    Modern performance art is bullshit.
    We're talking about a completely subjective subject... there are many artist who were hated in their day, who we love today.

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    No, not that I know of
    What are you doing on an internet forum then?

10+ Year Old Account
    This kid one my closest friends used to date thought he was all introspective and shit but he was really just a poser. He jumped on her one day and cut himself yelling "THIS IS ART". If I wasn't 100 miles away I would've placed his head securely into his rectum. I absolutely fucking hate people like that. Worst part is I saw it coming from literally 100 miles away before she even talked to him. But she's naive as fuck.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We're talking about a completely subjective subject... there are many artist who were hated in their day, who we love today.
    "Look at this modern art bullshit... the staircase connects to the bottom at the top!"

Quote Originally Posted by Odile View Post
    But if doing just random dumb shit is art why the hell am I supposed to watch this girl squeeze eggs out of her vagina fooling people to believe she's doing something sophisticated...? xD
    This is art? Fine, then art can't be defined and art has no meaning at all, because it's apparently everything and everything is nothing, like I said before.
    There is a lot of symbolism one can pull from that...idk how you're missing this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    "Look at this modern art bullshit... the staircase connects to the bottom at the top!"
    Lol I know a person who gets annoyed by a lot of art, even stuff like that.

On this performance piece:

I don't know what her message is, but I can see one, I can see a story here. Some people will look at this and say "it's just bullshit" I look at it and see a lot more than "bullshit"

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    According to some people, having sex in front of a crowd is a work of "art."

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    According to some people, having sex in front of a crowd is a work of "art."
    what do you get from this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I'd consider M C Escher paintings to be art over those more modern ones where it is just coloured squares and other shapes. Or that one that is just a large canvas painted all over in one shade of blue.

And other things like these two (second one is kinda big)

http://princeton.guendel.org/wp-cont...2/img_8705.JPG

as opposed to something from Rembrant or Da Vinci or Michelangelo, or as I said above Escher
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2014-04-25 at 04:38 AM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal89 View Post
    Haha that was some of the most pretentious garbage I've seen in a while.
    See that confuses me, you know since you are the guy with the Gurren Lagann quote talking about pretentious garbage.

If you don't get it, that is fine, but passing judgment on something you don't understand or get, you know something you are ignorant of, is silly.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    I'd consider M C Esher paintings to be art over those more modern ones where it is just coloured squares and other shapes. Or that one that is just a large canvas painted all over in one shade of blue.
    Thats just a backdoor Pepsi ad!
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

I'd consider M C Escher paintings to be art over those more modern ones where it is just coloured squares and other shapes. Or that one that is just a large canvas painted all over in one shade of blue.

And other things like these two (second one is kinda big)

http://princeton.guendel.org/wp-cont...2/img_8705.JPG

as opposed to something from Rembrant or Da Vinci or Michelangelo, or as I said above Escher

What... do you get... from this performance piece? I mean I can say what I get from it, but what do you others get, what do you see? What do you feel from the performance, her expressions, the painting itself? What does it look like, what can it possible symbolize? I mean I fee like all of this is being dashed to the side so people can sit back and say how ridiculous it is instead of actually trying to view it.

What... do you get... from this performance piece? I mean I can say what I get from it, but what do you others get, what do you see? What do you feel from the performance, her expressions, the painting itself? What does it look like, what can it possible symbolize? I mean I fee like all of this is being dashed to the side so people can sit back and say how ridiculous it is instead of actually trying to view it.
    What does that have to do with my post? I'm sorry I'm just not seeing any relation to it, and you quoted the whole thing. Generally not a good idea.

My post was in response to Mormolyce questioning the taking advantage of the isometric properties present in an M C Escher drawing as being called art. Since it isn't really modern art. Waterfall (the image of his i posted) is from 1961. And Relativity (often called crazy stairs) is from 1953.

Personally I don't really go for these performance art pieces, especially the really weird ones like the one mentioned in the OP.
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2014-04-25 at 04:48 AM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

All creativity and expression is art. So yes on the fecal smearing. The problem is the properties everyone thinks are inherent to "art".

Art is not intellectual.
    Art is not a higher form of observation, satire, or criticism.
    Art is not subtle, deep, or reflective.
    Art is not entitled to voice or viewing.

Art can be these things. They overlap a lot, because that's usually the target. Just try not to refer to the successful as "real" art or we're back to square one, though.

And impressive or not, all art is still

"Look."
    "Look at me."
    Ever squish your face on a window?
    It looks funny. Ever got it stuck?

What does that have to do with my post? I'm sorry I'm just not seeing any relation to it, and you quoted the whole thing. Generally not a good idea.

My post was in response to Mormolyce questioning the taking advantage of the isometric properties present in an M C Escher drawing as being called art.
    I know, and I wanted to change topics to the video in the OP since I want to know what people get from this.

10+ Year Old Account
    what do you get from this?
    There was a thread a while back where a art student was going to have sex with his lover in front of a crowd and call it art.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    There was a thread a while back where a art student was going to have sex with his lover in front of a crowd and call it art.
    Losing virginity and he invited a few people to view it.

What do you get from "this" piece.

That whole concept I feel I got, but I did not like his delievery of it.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account

It better have been the most romantic choreographed clean anal sex scene ever if you want me to interpret it as "art".

Art requires context. Often the context is political in nature. I mean, rarely do you see a new piece of art that represents right-wing views praised.

Let's take a leftist's definition of right-wing. To them, right wing can represent order and control over freedom. Well, that's certainly not always a bad thing. But when was the last time you saw a new piece of art that was warm to order and control over freedom, and saw it get praised? I can't think of any. The art I always see get praised is left wing defiance against presumed right wing order and control.

Let's throw a decidedly right wing topic out there. Wall Street. The stock market. What new works of art since 2000 has come out that celebrates Wall Street and has been praised and won awards? Any? Can you name one? How about low taxes? What new works of art since 2000 has come out that celebrates low taxes and has been praised and won awards? Any? What new works of art since 2000 has come out that celebrates the Catholic church and has been praised and won awards? Any?

I can't think of anything.

So, art appears to require context. That context is often political, and it seems to be strictly (or quite nearly strictly) left wing.