10+ Year Old Account

A Few Questions About Streaming

Hey all, I am not sure if this should go in the video/stream sticky or not but I have a few general questions about streaming. I'm already following some guides but there are a lot of choices out there. So I thought I'd ask MMOC, my favorite community-who-probably-doesn't-have-that-many-streamers-but-I'm-going-to-ask-them-anyway.

1. What hardware do you use for recording from a console? (specifically PS3/X360, obviously not X1/PS4)

2. Do you as a viewer prefer streams or let's plays?

3. Do people take serious streamers...seriously? What I mean by that is that I know that people like PewDiePie get so many subs by being silly and funny. Would I have to try and emulate that or could I try and talk about a game seriously? I would kind of rather by myself instead of a persona. I'm not a terribly funny person.

4. Can gamers take a female streamer seriously?

5. Tying on to the last question, how can I avoid 'cam-whore syndrome'? I mean for my viewers, not for me. Can I avoid hate for being a female gamer and people thinking I'm doing it for attention?

Obviously I'm looking to supplement my income with this, but it would be something I would thoroughly enjoy. I'm just concerned that I'm not what the target audience wants.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. I think people (professionally) use some AVerMedia one.
    2. I don't really care?
    3. I prefer people that are themselves, I know there are streamers that are basically like that.
    4. Sadly no. I don't care but some people go ALKHJLSKJRlejrw over it.
    5. Don't use one?

Stream income is very minimal unless you're very very popular.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-04-25 at 01:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    5. Don't use one?
    That...is a damn good point. I'm so used to seeing little portraits. Anonymity ftw!

Guess I could use some voice changing software to deepen my voice.

1 AVerMedia, as said above.

2. Let's Plays, because boring stuff can be edited out, and the streamer focuses on immersion and actually roleplaying the game. Streamers just interact with the community and don't roleplay.

3. Always seriously.

4. Some can, but the streamer needs to be careful that she takes herself seriously too.

5. Simply don't snatch attention and be decent. If you draw attention to yourself on purpose, you will get hate. I follow a lot of female players on their let's plays and enjoy it. Just make sure everyone on your channel is clear on that.

Or, you could, just not use a camera.

6. Making a living off of streaming to youtube/twitch is extreamely difficult unless you can hit the 300k subscriber mark, which in it'self is very challenging. 95% of the top streamers and youtube channels didn't just decide that'd they become the top streamer; 95% of the top got their by accident, and later embraced it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the input!
    I'm trying to look at this realistically, so I definitely don't think I will - or even can - make a living off of it. I just want to supplement my income a little. I'd be happy with an extra $100/month. Pays for all my groceries and more.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. many streamers have all their info clickable in their channel that shows all the hardware & even software they use for specific needs. Go through some of those, it might help you a lot.

2. I think a lot of ppl who go to Twitchtv or YT are happy with both. Do what YOU enjoy & the audience meant for you will find you :)

3. Please don't try to be anyone or anything but yourself. it will come off as fake & insincere & ppl will sniff that out & spew the hate. Seriously, just be you :)

4. yes as long as you don't constantly say/do things to 'remind' everyone that you're a female/grrl gamer. Since you agree that what sex you are shouldn't have any bearing on how seriously you game then don't rely on it or use it for ANY reason. Just game, don't be "IMA GRRL GAMER! RAWR!" Many of us other females who have played games all our lives (I'm 44 yrs old & actually had the orig Atari for my all time fav Christmas present^^) will appreciate that you don't bring it up constantly:)

5. You can VERY easily avoid the 'cam-whore syndrome' by making sure you don't have your cam pointed down from above, for obvious reasons>.> Since the word syndrome means a collection of symptoms that also applies here. As I said earlier, don't bring it up all the time that you're a girl; your audience can see & hear & knows what sex you are already:) Don't wear ridiculously low-cut clothing. Don't wear a push-up bra while streaming unless you really wear one daily anyway. Don't give too much attention to the obvious sexhounds in your chat.

Don't overact or overdo anything. Relax & be yourself. As time goes by you'll be more & more comfortable soon enough! Don't spend too much time chatting with guys in chat instead of playing your game; divide the time so you have a lot for gaming & a little for responding to chat. Get mods you trust or at least a moobot type bot to take care of spammers & botters & troublemakers. get the crap out of your chat ASAP to help be taken more seriously. If you let chat run rampant you'll lose respect from viewers pretty fast.

Don't plan for a specific target audience so much as planning ahead what games you want to play, what time of day/how many hrs & that sort of thing. Again, your audience will find you. The ppl you're meant to attract will show up for the games you play, the time of day you stream & what sort of person you are. If you stay genuine & just enjoy your gaming experience the audience that finds you & stays with you are the ones you're meant to have :)

I hope you have a nice time streaming. Give it a while to get used to it & don't take anyone in chat too seriously. Don't let them troll or hurt you. Be you, have fun, play your favorite games, that's a good start! :D

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah yeah. Get ready for douches that will insult you or whatever. It will eventually happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    That...is a damn good point. I'm so used to seeing little portraits. Anonymity ftw!

Guess I could use some voice changing software to deepen my voice.
    Lirik has never used a cam is is becoming increasingly more& more popular over the past 2 yrs! My husband & I have watched him for a long time, pretty much all of the 2 yrs he's been on & his voice & funny attitude are all he needs. Its an oddity on Twitch to stream & be so popular w/out a cam, but he proves it is entirely possible & quite successful. There are probably others as well but I'm not familiar with them myself & can't name them atm but if I watched more twitchtv & not just Lirik I'm sure I'd know a few more!

I don't think you need to change your voice though

10+ Year Old Account
    Voice change to an alienish voice. I did that in vent once. Was hilarious. I'm also not being serious here.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, I've seen female gamers stream and make quite a bit within the first few weeks streaming.

Kaceytron is the most annoying person the planet, and I believe the world would be a better place without her-- but she doesn't do half bad in terms of donations and subscribers.

Chelly
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    To be honest, I've seen female gamers stream and make quite a bit within the first few weeks streaming.

Kaceytron is the most annoying person the planet, and I believe the world would be a better place without her-- but she doesn't do half bad in terms of donations and subscribers.
    She's a pretty obvious troll though. Kaceytron is doing it just to annoy people.

OP: If you actually ever decide to have a facecam on stream, don't fill up a huge part of the screen with it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen female streamers fill up 1/3rd (or more) of the stream with their facecam. It's just annoying.
    Last edited by Chelly; 2014-04-25 at 02:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post

ugh, kaceytron. She temp had her sub button taken away but I see she has it back, *disappointed shrug*

OP, just plz never turn into this or any of the others that take part in a comparable method of cam-whoring, err, streaming ~

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I think I'm sold on the no cam thing. I have no interest in being popular for my looks or for being a girl.