Is the beta client downloading really slow for anyone else?

I'm getting about 1/10th of my normal speed with this thing, making it take forever..

10+ Year Old Account
    The client downloads from multiple sources at the same time, but only reports the speed of one source.
    It's downloading 2/3/4 times faster than what it actually says.

10+ Year Old Account
    This may sound odd, but it works... Open up Internet Explorer (even if it's not your default browser), click the little gear in the top right corner, then click "Interent Options", then click the "Connections" tab at the top. Then click "Lan Settings" at the bottom right of the page. Then uncheck "Automatically detect settings". Enjoy your new found download speed!

Same thing here,crovax3000. The DL was cruising along good, then about an hour ago it slowed to a trickle!

We are right in the middle of the US primetime. Net traffic from many sorces based here tend to be slower this time of night just because of the shear volume of traffic. 5-6 hours from now things normally pick up alot.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    You can manually discover your download speed by timing how long it takes to download 100kb

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just like a torrent

Deleted
    Doing ok, not as fast as normal but not as slow as steam =p

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine was 500kb-700kb, My normal is 1.2mb-2.0mb Not bad by any means only took a few hours, but a fair bit below normal.
    Last edited by Shuya82; 2012-04-26 at 03:25 AM.

@ Mif, That actually makes a ton of sense. My download speed is consistently 1.2mbs, and it was only at 300-400kbs last night when I was downloading. I just assumed it is their servers being hammered and making it slow.

You can see how fast it is going by opening up Resource Monitor clicking the network tab and finding the GW2 connection. It displays the speed in B/sec but it's easy enough to convert into something more familiar.

Deleted
    Yea well my download speed is normally about 1-1.2mb but now i had like 200-400. but all together it only took like 6-7 hours (download and patch)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    This may sound odd, but it works... Open up Internet Explorer (even if it's not your default browser), click the little gear in the top right corner, then click "Interent Options", then click the "Connections" tab at the top. Then click "Lan Settings" at the bottom right of the page. Then uncheck "Automatically detect settings". Enjoy your new found download speed!
    For those interested, what this does is allows you to open up multiple connections to a server.
    Basic settings for windows is to generally only allow a limited amount of conntections, something that most of the time is a good thing. Not for you perhaps, but for the server owners so that they don't get hammered.
    In the case of these downloaders however, the servers are really set up to handle multiple connections from each user, and it's really a flaw client wize that they don't override the standard windows settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    The client downloads from multiple sources at the same time, but only reports the speed of one source.
    It's downloading 2/3/4 times faster than what it actually says.
    What this man said is very true.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    You can manually discover your download speed by timing how long it takes to download 100kb
    Much easier to just time how many kilobytes (or megabytes) you download in one second.

The only problem with this is that 100 kilobyte per second (as an example) does not equal 100 kilobits per second; as one byte is eight bits, you'll have to multiply your result by 8 to get the speed.

Examples:
    150 kilobytes in 1 second = 150 * 8 = 1200 kilobits per second (or ~1.17 Mbps)
    700 kilobytes in 1 second = 700 * 8 = 5600 kilobits per second (or ~5.47 Mbps)

I use a freeware called NetTrafficMon that can show you real download/upload speed
    Last edited by Tuma; 2012-04-26 at 02:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The important thing to remember here is if your ISP sucks really bad (like mine), then you're not going to be playing until 3:00pm on Friday or later.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    WoW! This actually worked! Thanks man!

Holy smokes, what a huge necro! Glad some advice here helped you with something but there's no real reason to keep this thread open.