Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Morden View Post
    Sheer apathy. Personally I think it is a sign of the problem in britains politics at the moment that people feel the need to vote for fringe groups because the mainstream groups dont actually listen to british people.

In many ways I see a big corelation between 21st century britain and 1930's germany. Im just hoping it works out better for us...

Because when everything goes to the crapper and someone mouths the right promises things can go bad quite quickly.
    And this is why the study of history is incredibly useful.

They're not quite as extreme, but still.

You've got the economic downturn, the foreign scapegoats, the promises of a bright future, the failing mainstream parties. If someone sets fire to the Houses of Parliament then I'm out of here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    And this is why the study of history is incredibly useful.

They're not quite as extreme, but still.

You've got the economic downturn, the foreign scapegoats, the promises of a bright future, the failing mainstream parties. If someone sets fire to the Houses of Parliament then I'm out of here.
    Its all Brussels and immigrants fault obviously!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I challenge you to prove that's what UKIP intend to do.

Deleted
    Nah I'm not a racist, idiot or bigot so I'll steer clear.

It's not even Farrage that concerns me so much.

In reality he actually steers the party to be more moderate and more like a legitimate political party.
    I still don't agree with him, but he's not the one I'm worried about.

The other members of UKIP can be considerably more extreme in some cases, and what worries me is the prospect of those guys drumming up enough support within the party to either move things in the direction they want to do, or simply remove Farrage once he's done his job of being a good poster boy to drum up support.

4 years of Farrage and 4 years of hardline Tories wouldn't be so different.

4 years of hardline UKIP is a different prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Farage looks and sounds like a big conman, he claims to "be one of the lads" and the working class lap this up. He was infact educated at a very expensive private school and worked as a stockbroker, he has never done a blue collar job in his life. He is as full of shit as the other parties but at least they have long term plans, unlike UKIP.
    ^

This, anyone who thinks that wiley Nigel speaks for the common man needs a lobotomy stat. What exactly is the long term plan for UKIP when it comes to power? Leave the UK? Wow, great thinking there genius, considering the EU makes up the largest trading partner for the UK outside of the USA.

Suck on that one, UKIP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Requite View Post
    ^

This, anyone who thinks that wiley Nigel speaks for the common man needs a lobotomy stat. What exactly is the long term plan for UKIP when it comes to power? Leave the UK? Wow, great thinking there genius, considering the EU makes up the largest trading partner for the UK outside of the USA.

Suck on that one, UKIP.
    Not to mention that analysts say that if things keep on course, the UK will have the most powerful economy in the EU by 2030.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...in-Europe.html

By voting UKIP we risk that status.

If there's anyone in this thread who hasn't seen Series 2 Episode 3 of Black Mirror on Channel 4 I recommend you go and watch it. It's on 4od.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tyron2000 View Post
    Been speaking to a lot of people lately about who they are going to vote for next year in the general election, and supprised how many say UKIP now!

I must admit I am voting UKIP too, some of the MP's are idiots (but they are getting withdrawn from the party when they mess up) but I do like Farage, a beer gusling Brit, who talks a bit more sense (generally) than the others currently.

So why do you think UKIP are seeing a much bigger following now?

Do you want to raise taxes on the lowest 88% of workers and lower them for the highest earning 12%?

Do you want to privitise the NHS?

Do you want to leave the working time directive so employers can force you to work unlimited hours, and take away your holiday entitlement?

Do you want to end maternity/paternity leave and pay?

Do you want to leave the regulatory system that ensures standards on goods and services that protect the consumer rather than the corporations?

Do you want pretty much unregulated fracking by big energy companies across the country?

Do you want to slash funding for state schools?

Do you want to massively increase military spending?

And do you want a bloke who was a banker, who made masses amounts of money in the city doing the dodgy investment practices that caused the financial crisis, who is more establishment than the tories who has spent 15 years as an MEP and actively worked against British interests who actually voted AGAINST measures to provide legal representation to British people abroad in the EU? who has taken money (2million) from the tax payer and used part of it for party political purposes despite having the 2 worst attendance records for brittish MEPs, who is embroiled in expenses scandals, whp has funneled money into offshore tax havens, who has fostered a climate of intimidation within his party where anyone who asks where the money has gone is threatened and kicked out? and who the original leader of the party has decribed as racist? Who is proud to attract members of the BNP, and who despite railing against employment of foreign workers has taken tax payer money to give to his german wife (I have no problem with her, I just love the irony).

Do you want a party that describes foreign countries as "bongobongo land", who's candidates have come up with lovely soundbites like telling lenny henry to go back to "a black country", and our olympic atheltes they should not be allowed to compete for britain because of skin colour. Do you want a leader who has issued racist comments about eastern europeans saying people should feel fear if they move to the same street? Who has voted against gay marriage consistently, and who have been considered to be so far to the fascist right that lovely parties in europe like France's national front and the Danish Peoples party, have said they could form an alliance with? And where Nigel Farage sits as chairman of the EDF (basically a far right, facists are us, voting block in the EU).

If you are happy with all that, vote UKIP.
    If you are not, run a mile and learn something about this travesty of a party.

Also, the irony of EU immigration is....we are a net exporter of people! more Brits live abroad in the EU than EU citizens live in Britain! What happens to them if we close the borders? and immigrants are net contributors to the economy, and receive less benefits than UK citizens....as farmers in the southeast how long they would last if they could not employ immigrants..because you literally cannot get British workers to do the jobs.

Yes we need a national debate on immigration, we need proper entry and exit checks, we need to discuss integration and we need to sort out things like housing (which governments and private sector have failed at since Thatcher was in power), but we need to do it rationally and rise above just blaming the outsider for problems that if we are honest, are of our own making.
    Last edited by mmoc3f25629bd0; 2014-05-11 at 02:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know who I will vote for to be honest, My problem with immigration is that where I work they are letting people go who are earning reasonable money and replacing then with 2 x Polish workers on minimum wage. I live in Dorset so its not even a place many immigrants come to.
    I moved away from London as it was happening there quite a lot but now its even coming down here.

Edited to add, The work we do is directly for the Ministry of defence involving optics so its fairly trained not just labour if that makes sense

I'm glad this topic exists because it just kind of confirms my suspicions that half of this message board are disgusting, thoughtless, classist, homophobic racists, with a complete lack of critical thinking skills.

Wait shit that's not anything to be glad about at all.

Last edited by Imnick; 2014-05-11 at 02:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippoflames View Post
    I don't know who I will vote for to be honest, My problem with immigration is that where I work they are letting people go who are earning reasonable money and replacing then with 2 x Polish workers on minimum wage. I live in Dorset so its not even a place many immigrants come to.
    I moved away from London as it was happening there quite a lot but now its even coming down here.

Edited to add, The work we do is directly for the Ministry of defence involving optics so its fairly trained not just labour if that makes sense
    That's the fault of your employer. If you close the borders we're in for a world of shit. The fact is that the European countries in general have a lower living cost so are prepared to work for a smaller amount of money over here, and if they do as good a job as you and will take less money for it then prepare for any employer to replace you. Because hey if you can get someone to do just as good a job for less money and then must be more skilled than you because they have language capabilities, why would you not take them? The solution is not to close the borders but to increase the skills of the people in the UK.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    That's the fault of your employer. If you close the borders we're in for a world of shit. The fact is that the European countries in general have a lower living cost so are prepared to work for a smaller amount of money over here, and if they do as good a job as you and will take less money for it then prepare for any employer to replace you. Because hey if you can get someone to do just as good a job for less money and then must be more skilled than you because they have language capabilities, why would you not take them? The solution is not to close the borders but to increase the skills of the people in the UK.
    I agree it is the employers, But when they take someone on they are looking at 4-6 months training. I mean yeah I probably work for a shit company more than anything but not really sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree it is the employers, But when they take someone on they are looking at 4-6 months training. I mean yeah I probably work for a shit company more than anything but not really sure.
    So what that they require training, it's still the employers choice and financially makes a lot of sense for them. The main arguing point of a UKIP supporter who is looking at an issue such as your own is that it's the immigrants fault - I don't get the sense you subscribe to that theory, which is good because it means you're above the intelligence level of the average UKIP voter. Which means that your job wouldn't be threatened by dem durty immigrantz.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Its also a failure of government over the last 40+years.

Thatcher cut house building by the public sector, and yet the private sector did not increase levels of building to compensate, as its in their interests to keep prices per unit high, buy land cheap and sit on it as it massively increases in value, Thatcher brought in right to buy, thereby decimating public social housing stocks....and the Tories recently have brought in the NPPF and abolished the RSS housing figures which resulted in a massive reduction in allocated housing sites overnight. I wont even go into the absurdity of social rent subsidies with no rent control measures being enacted....

All this means that house prices have skyrocketed in this country, and yet wages have not, meaning that we have an absurdly high costs of living in the UK thats our own fault, so we need higher wages to do a job, whereas immigrants dont, they can work for the minimum wage.

We need to raise the minimum wage, but what UKIP want to do is remove workers rights even more and RAISE your taxes! its insanity.

We have problems in the UK, but they are largely the fault of our own government over the last few decades, we should solve the actual underlying issues, not stoop to just blaming the outsider in a jingoistic, xenophobic knee jerk reaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    So what that they require training, it's still the employers choice and financially makes a lot of sense for them. The main arguing point of a UKIP supporter who is looking at an issue such as your own is that it's the immigrants fault - I don't get the sense you subscribe to that theory, which is good because it means you're above the intelligence level of the average UKIP voter. Which means that your job wouldn't be threatened by dem durty immigrantz.
    I still don't know what the answer is though, I mean I don't blame the immigrants for wanting a better life as we all do I suppose but maybe if we were not in the euro then friends who have worked jobs for 6+ years wouldn't get replaced with them.

A brief straw poll at the office revealed that misguided, closet racists are the main UKIP audience. Basically Tory voters that don't like the current lot of Tories.

We do seem to have a culture of publicly backing the "little guy" in any election, while still voting either Tory or Labour at the polls. Last time it was the Lib Dems, and look where that got us. It's basically an alternative to the current government, without going as far as voting for real opposite. We already ousted the idea of proportional representation because it was too complicated (despite having a population that can play the lottery each week), so there's no danger of UKIP actually getting a real say in anything.

To me it would be far better to have a box for No Suitable Candidate, and if that box won then new candidates would have to be picked. Anyone not voting counts as No Suitable Candidate. We might actually get people in parliament who represent our interests if we did that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Sounds like the Liberals in Australia.

10+ Year Old Account
    I shall be voting labour , just because i don't want conservatives to win a majority<3 The only reason they won last time was because a lot of labour voters moved to lib dem, this time conservatives won't have that luxury to rely on :P Also UKIP is just a wasted vote, so pay no attention to those people <3