Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Probably sround the time "Brokeback Mountain" came out and flopped everywhere except the gay communities and big cities in California
    The Stonewall Riots, and the treatment of gays and lesbians up to that point, say hi. (Hint, the Stonewall Riots happened way before Brokeback Mountain.)

Brokeback Mountain in a nutshell

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthoof View Post
    "18+ [rating] has been assigned in accordance with the law number 436-FZ 'On the protection of children from information harmful to their health and development..."

And people raged about Nintendo. What the heck is wrong with people?

Read the full article here: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/0...on-the-sims-4/
    Well you don't want to go against the Dear Leader, do you?

- - - Updated - - -

If a movie was good, it would make lots of money since people would pay to see it. Conversely, people dont continue to pay to see shitty movies. Perhaps your idea of a good movie is just strange
    The general public isn't known for it's good taste in movies. Sales numbers mean very little to the actual quality of the movie as a piece of art.
    Then again, you're Orlong. I don't know why I'm even respondign to you.

ohh god, here comes the "Russia is ignorant and full of bigots". I'm starting to hate this generation

Deleted
    If a movie was good, it would make lots of money since people would pay to see it. Conversely, people dont continue to pay to see shitty movies. Perhaps your idea of a good movie is just strange
    Well first of all, apparently your idea of a good movie contradicts the vast majority of people on this planet. So, you can draw your own conclusions whose idea is "strange".

Secondly, you're so utterly wrong here; of course people watch shit. Of course movies which allow you to leave your brain at home are the easiest and sometimes even the most fun to watch. Also, of course those Michael Bay action flicks have the best trailers and advertising, so of course they draw in the biggest crowds. Bad movies, or "summer movies" as they're often called, are designed to draw in people.

I mean come on now. This doesn't even require that much intelligence to figure out. Do you honestly believe people would go see the Shawshank Redemption over Armageddon in a theater with their friends? Do you honestly believe people would want to go see the Shawshank Redemption twice? Of course not. The Shawshank Redemption is one of the best movies of all time, but you don't go watch it in a theater with your loud, moronic friends, just to have the movie spoiled by some asshole on his phone. Duh. It's also an experience such that once you've seen it for the first time, it stays with you, and you won't feel like you want to see it again. What, did you think "Man that was a great movie, I'll watch it again straight away!" after watching Se7en? Also, we all know people are dumb as bricks, and that vast majority doesn't go on iMDB to rate movies; they go see the shitty movies in theaters over and over again. A million flies can't be wrong, right?

Yeah... Well. You're allowed to, of course, keep on thinking that movies with the highest profits are the best. Some people think that Santa Claus is real, too.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2014-05-14 at 06:20 AM.

A few decades ago people were being broken out of prison, beaten, bonfired and hung from lamp-posts, because they were black.

Latest anti-gay movement in the US due to a gay basketball player is pretty damn disturbing.
    A coalition of evangelical Christian leaders from across the US, as well as influential grassroots organisations in 27 of the 50 states, have now been mobilised against firms, according to the powerful Christian lobbyist Jack Burkman.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...n-9365426.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marika View Post
    So Justin Bieber is one of the best and most talented musicians in the world right now right?
    He was talking about "good", not "talented". Don't put words in others' mouth.

And yes, Justin Bieber is the best at what he does, that is pleasing the mainstream crowd. It doesn't make him talented as a singer, but it does mean that he is talented as a showman and as a celebrity.

I fail to see how it is relevant to our topic though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Screw the Russian government, Conchita Wurst proves otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laorenshu View Post
    The Stonewall Riots, and the treatment of gays and lesbians up to that point, say hi. (Hint, the Stonewall Riots happened way before Brokeback Mountain.)
    True, but I was replying to a post asking when Hollywood went full on pro gay, not New York

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Well you don't want to go against the Dear Leader, do you?

- - - Updated - - -

The general public isn't known for it's good taste in movies. Sales numbers mean very little to the actual quality of the movie as a piece of art.
    Then again, you're Orlong. I don't know why I'm even respondign to you.
    So why is your opinion of what makes a good movie so much more right than the people that make movies that you call shitty so successful. Perhaps they are right and you are wrong

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    A few decades ago people were being broken out of prison, beaten, bonfired and hung from lamp-posts, because they were black.

Latest anti-gay movement in the US due to a gay basketball player is pretty damn disturbing.
    That is indeed disturbing. At least most people aren't stupid enough to stop using their Visa and sell their stocks. Visa and the Rams won't feel any of this.

- - - Updated - - -

So why is your opinion of what makes a good movie so much more right than the people that make movies that you call shitty so successful. Perhaps they are right and you are wrong
    Marketing. It's a strong thing. Avatar had a freaking 150M marketing budget, for example, compared to a movie like Brokeback Mountain with $5M. I don't judge a movie based on its gross profits when there are so many factors behind it. I mean The Last Airbender was pretty much universally disliked and terribly rated but managed $320M worldwide...I mean how else are we going to judge a movie if not on opinions? Are you going to tell me we can't trust sites like rottentomatoes, where both critics AND the audience really liked Brokeback Mountain?

Chelly
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Are you going to tell me we can't trust sites like rottentomatoes, where both critics AND the audience really liked Brokeback Mountain?
    RottenTomatoes isn't the best site though. Most of their reviewers are so incredibly pretentious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marika View Post
    RottenTomatoes isn't the best site though. Most of their reviewers are so incredibly pretentious.
    Exactly. Many of them are people who work with the business or are artsy people. The average Joe Blo off the street doesnt review movies on Rotten tomatoes. (They could, but they dont)

Chelly
    Exactly. Many of them are people who work with the business or are artsy people. The average Joe Blo off the street doesnt review movies on Rotten tomatoes. (They could, but they dont)
    I only meant the professional reviewers though. There are many cases on IMDB and RottenTomatoes where the professional reviewers completely hate a movie, but the vast majority of the average joe reviews enjoy the movie.
    Brokeback Mountain is a success in professional reviews, audience reviews, and in money.

10+ Year Old Account
    The beauty of rottentomatoes, imdb, metacritic etc is that they have both professional reviews AND audience (average Joe Blo) reviews. Brokeback Mountain has positive reviews for both, even surviving the trolls. That says a lot.

Probably should have been closed down earlier, but shutting this train down. There's a bit too much nation bashing/borderline nation bashing going on in addition to discussion of sexuality.