Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Googling "human rights in prisons" would have been more bneficial, but nope, here's another banal shitpost from Salandrin to help win an argument with his imaginary friend.

Yes, it's highly illegal, breaching both national and international human rights declarations, treaties, policies and agreements.

Yes, prisoners have the right to seek formal recompense for whatever grievances.

No, not all cases will be investigated.

No, we don't hear much about it because "Prisoner's Feelings Hurt" isn't much of a news headline.

These issues are taken VERY seriously by prisons and governments, Salandrin. There's a lot of moral gray activity surrounding the issue so the powers that be can't afford to let guards have free reign. Many prisoners are there for minor felonies. Petty theft, tax evasion, drunk driving: People go to prison for more than just rape and murder, so we have to ensure that not everyone behind a prison wall is treated like a rapist or a murderer.
    Last edited by CataclismicSunrise; 2014-05-13 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tanktank View Post
    10 years as a correctional officer. "Reduce the recidivism rate" LAWL 70% of those that ran through the state I worked in were 2-3 time offenders. Had several get out, get on the bus and then rob the store at the next stop. There was some decent inmates, and then there wasn't. Until you have had feces/urine and spit thrown on you, at you, stand behind that wall of "they're still human beings." I guess working at a maximum security prison has skewed my views. I call 'em like I see 'em and still do.
    If they're acting like dicks, they deserve to be treated like dicks 100%. Not all of them deserve it, and I think this is more about unprovoked abuse, which I'm sure you'd agree is wrong.

Eighth Amendment

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted

You are welcome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes this is against most prison employee code. It's harassment plain and simple, there was a huge article about this a long time ago where the officer used food to make prisoners do things and act certain ways. If they disobeyed then he would hold their food or do something to it. I think it went pretty high up in the courts too. I'll try to find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampz View Post
    inb4 "flying is a major part of the reason I have fun in wow!"
    Buy a fucking flight sim then

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Hi guys I need help for a document and debate I am having with someone else. In a prison, if you are a guard regularly maintaining the security and peace of those behind their bars, is it illegal or against the rules to sit on the opposite side of a cell and repeatedly torment the prisoner behind bars through taunts, sneers, or other unconventional methods? As long as you do not physically get involved with the prisoner.
    You must not know anyone in the corrections department. Just to inform you, inmates don't stay behind bars all the time. In fact, they don't stay there most of the time. So when they are out moving about, there are corrections officers with them. If you are pissing them off, guess what happens to your back......or sometimes your face. My friends who work in corrections have told me stories of officers getting ganged up on with no one to back them up. Not only are the inmates locked up, but so are you with them.

There are ways inmates can mess with you and get away with it. So the best thing to do is not rattle the cages.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Also, I felt pretty safe. I felt like I was always fair with offenders and never worried about getting assaulted. Even some of the offenders that I had to write up for severe rule violations (these write-ups generally resulting in them being sent to administrative segregation aka "the hole") were always really polite and respectful to me. The motto to live by in corrections was "be fair, firm and consistent." I followed that and didn't have any issues.
    That's how I felt of most of the guards, decent just people trying to get through the day. Of course I was on the other side of this experience

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Hi guys I need help for a document and debate I am having with someone else. In a prison, if you are a guard regularly maintaining the security and peace of those behind their bars, is it illegal or against the rules to sit on the opposite side of a cell and repeatedly torment the prisoner behind bars through taunts, sneers, or other unconventional methods? As long as you do not physically get involved with the prisoner.
    In the United States and most western nations, yes it's illegal and it should be. Why is that even a question?
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

As a former Correctional Officer for the Texas Dept of Criminal Justice- Correctional Institutions Division, No we were not allowed to do such things. But it's a dog-eat-dog environment. They shit talked me, They got it right back. You don't know unless you've been in that situation. They don't respect "by the book" officers. You use the Policies and regulations as guidelines to help you.

Yes, it is illegal in most cases.

Though I imagine shit happens. The real world probably has a few guards like this guy. Although....I imagine it is in your best interests not to do that. Especially when you're dealing with people who are already in for life, have nothing to lose, and know how to make sharp things out of everyday objects.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-05-13 at 03:04 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duravian View Post
    The fuck is this? haha
    'tis a Salandrin Thread! Hooray!

Deleted
    Posting in another legendary Salandrin thread.

Infracted - please post constructively
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2014-05-13 at 05:09 PM.