Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    US ground troops to train in Ukraine

Not sure how this is going to interact with the nascent ceasefire. Could be an attempt to scuttle it, or reassurance / negotiating support for the Kiev government in what will hopefully be the talks happening soon.
    My guess is that the US no longer cares about any agreement, save MAD. Russia burned most of their bridges with this Ukraine and crimea incident, and if they wont adhere to any agreement made in the past... I doubt washington will do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saah View Post
    Currently in Russia there is too much freedom, you can freely do things, that would cause you be arrested in USA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the Mistral announcement by France is probably just something to appease the US/NATO. Russia would be the winner in France breaking the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    I think this is a reaction to the impending ceasefire that can be read multiple ways. Note that the French are carefully not cancelling the deal, at least not yet, just delaying it for a month. On the one hand, it can be seen as a carrot for the Russians, "stick to the ceasefire and you get your ships". On the other hand, it can also be seen as France trying to jump on the 'anti-Russia' bandwagon at the absolute last minute. Setting things up so that, a year or five down the road, the French government can say, "Oh, yeah, we were totally willing to lose billions to keep Russia in line". (All while confident they won't have to actually pay that particular piper.) Or maybe it's something else, or both.
    ehh, it seems like the carrot on the stick to me. Not to mention that if Russia wont fall for it, they can most likely cover any losses by selling to EU/NATO (there was talks about have the EU pay the fines as well). That way they have a win win scenario, they get to have their cake and eat it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saah View Post
    Currently in Russia there is too much freedom, you can freely do things, that would cause you be arrested in USA.

No one in Russia gives a flack about the mistrals. That deal was singed on a different administration and lets say the truth, they are nothing wow. Russia would benefit more with aircraft carriers than helicopter carriers.

Deleted
    I live in Romania, a former communist state which neighbors Ukraine. I don't know shit about politics but do you think this conflict could affect my country? I really don't care about Ukraine or who is right or wrong in all this but I don't want my country and therefore also myself to be dragged to a pointless conflict from which I have nothing to gain. The only way see them provoking us is if they attack Moldova for Transnistria...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...oscow-ilovaysk

Bloodied, dirty and stinking, the Ukrainian soldiers who passed through the town of Komsomolske on Saturday morning made for a sorry sight. But they were the lucky ones, who had managed to escape alive from an assault they say involved regular units of the Russian army.

Having fled from encirclement in the town of Ilovaysk, their column of 70 armoured vehicles and hundreds of Ukrainian soldiers had been trapped in an ambush and shelled, according to one soldier. "Our vehicles were colliding with one another and our tracks were running over our own fighters," said Taras Samchuk, 28, whose 51st brigade was one of the units surrounded in Ilovaysk.

Many died, some were captured, and around 100 soldiers had managed to survive, often "with legs broken or smashed, with shrapnel in our hands, legs, bodies, with smashed teeth and broken noses", he said.

lol, ISIS deinately got some balls, while the west and Russia are checking eachother out, they go ahead and declare war on both.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    The politicians are afraid of Russia enacting economical sanctions on Finland, which would affect our economy, which in turn would be blamed on the politicians. Seriously, don't you have the faintest of idea on how politics work? I'm not typing this all out in all of my posts since frankly, I expect people to have some actual insight on the subjects they engage in arguments about. Maybe I shouldn't expect such high standards from online conversation.
    First of all, you shouldn't expect anything good or even remotely okay from online conversations. Regular standards don't apply to these.

Now, after we've storted this out, let's talk about geopolitics: don't you think that what you've said goes both ways?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    lol, ISIS deinately got some balls, while the west and Russia are checking eachother out, they go ahead and declare war on both.
    I actually like that. Those fuckers can become something that will make Russia, EU and US remember we can still be partners and work together to achieve some common goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjalar View Post
    Those fuckers can become something that will make Russia, EU and US remember we can still be partners and work together to achieve some common goals.
    The USA and EU are the ones that armed and funded them via Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

I agree Kjalar, but I'm afraid that they arent enough of a threat to move focus away from Ukraine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    The USA and EU are the ones that armed and funded them via Saudi Arabia and Qatar.
    I'd love to see some solid evidence of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravasi View Post
    A referendum is generally asking the opinion of the ENTIRE population with the right to vote, not just that of a minority in a specific territory. I doubt the majority of the Ukrainian population would vote for independence of the Eastern Ukraine. This is beyond retarded and has nothing to do with the international laws.
    Um, Scottish independence referendum, 2014,
    Under the terms of the 2010 Draft Bill, the following people would be entitled to vote in the referendum:[19]

British citizens who are resident in Scotland;
    citizens of the 52 other Commonwealth countries who are resident in Scotland;
    citizens of the 27 other European Union countries who are resident in Scotland;
    members of the House of Lords who are resident in Scotland;
    Service/Crown personnel serving in the UK or overseas in the British Armed Forces or with Her Majesty's Government who are registered to vote in Scotland.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Uzkin View Post
    Furthermore, the referendum took place in a time when Ukraine didn't have legitimate central leadership from the Crimean point of view. Their democratically chosen president had been overthrown in a coup. Since the power structure referred to in the constitution didn't exist any more the constitution, strictly speaking, was no longer valid either. As an autonomic republic Crimea was then free to act on its own. Once the new president got elected, they also established a new constitution. The time between the coup and the election of the new president was, again strictly speaking, a time of anarchy without valid constitution. Coups can and do split countries, it is the price one may have to pay.
    Doesn't matter at all if it was consititutional or not, it was unconsititutional but even if you disregard that it's not a legit referendum.

Why?

Simple, Russias annexation of Crimea is a violation of Ukraines territorial integrity, thats against international law, and that was declared in the 1970 principles of international law. Within that context the referendum is nullified, there is a reason for why Putin refused to admit that the little green men were Russian troops until after the annexation(referendum) was done and over with.

Anything that comes after russia putting boots on the ground means zero, nada, nill.

As it stands right now, in the eyes of internanational law, Crimea is under occupation by Russia.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2014-09-03 at 09:55 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    As it stands right now, in the eyes of internanational law, Crimea is under occupation by Russia.
    And Kosovo is under occupation by NATO, yeah, yeah.

The usage of the word "west" in your sentence is very generic and full of fallacy as it assumes that every western country has a problem with Russia. Besides the ones that are barking (aka US/UK and Baltic) i think most don't have an issue with them =)

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    So you'd rather have them be victims of genocide at the hands of the Serbs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus1986 View Post
    Well the pro-Putin fact was blaming America for breaking up the Koreas by helping out the South so it seems logical that they think that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    You are missing the genocide part, it makes all difference as the 1948 un convention. Cppcg happens to have prevention in its name saying that you have to act to prevent it if possible. So yeah apples and pears if you follow international law and its one of the strongest points that came out from ww2.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus1986 View Post
    There was no genocide in kosovo. The UN court decided that there was no targeted ethnic cleansing. All of the reported mass graves were empty. More civilians died in Ukraine in the last 3 months due to kiev shells than in over 2 years in kosovo.

The genocide claim was a lie just like the WMDs in Iraq.
    Last edited by Cybran; 2014-09-03 at 10:21 PM.

Leader of Chechnya already made a very unhappy statement about this. Apparantly he don't want his republic to be "liberated".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fumblz View Post
    Not to mention that if Russia wont fall for it, they can most likely cover any losses by selling to EU/NATO (there was talks about have the EU pay the fines as well). That way they have a win win scenario, they get to have their cake and eat it too.
    As far as I know half of the ship was produced in St. Petersburg so France would need to get it somehow.
    Last edited by Morry; 2014-09-03 at 10:23 PM.