Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Couple sues Georgia town, requires prescription to buy adult toys. Ridiculous!!!

While Im no fan of adult toys and find it ridiculous that someone would buy one, I find it even MORE ridiculous that this Georgia town prohibits their sale without a prescription from a doctor. I can only imagine how that conversation would go down. "Hey Doc, I really feel I would be happier if I could buy a fleshlight, how about a prescription for one please?"

From the article at http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-n...oy-law/nfx25/:

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    ATLANTA — First businesses, now customers are suing the city of Sandy Springs over an ordinance that requires people to have a prescription, or a medical or scientific reason, to buy a sexual device.
    Melissa Davenport and her attorney, Gerry Weber, filed the suit because they want the government out of the business of regulating private lives.
    >> Read more trending stories
    “(Some people) have this dirty mind about how people are going to use it. People really do need devices because they need it for health reasons and to have a healthy intimate life with their spouse,” Davenport said.
    READ THE LAWSUIT
    Davenport suffers from multiple sclerosis.
    “The nerve pathways interfered (with) going to my intimate areas, to the point where I had no feeling,” Davenport said.
    She told Channel 2’s Rachel Stockman taht the sex toys saved her marriage and that’s why she filed the lawsuit.
    The ordinance in question prohibits the selling of sexual devices unless the customers have a bona fide medical, scientific, educational, legislative, judicial or law enforcement purpose.
    Experts construe that to mean if you have a doctor’s prescription, or some kind of proof the device is being used for one of those purposes.
    "The ordinance basically says the government can stick its nose in your bedroom and say you can use this but not that,” said Weber.
    Weber says the ordinance violated the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, which provides a right to privacy.
    “People have the right to decide for themselves whether these devices help their intimate life, and the government has no business being the bedroom and second guessing that decision,” Weber said.
    The city said they cannot comment on ongoing litigation, but are expected to file a response by June.
    Davenport said she isn’t seeking any money, she just wants a judge to find the law unconstitutional.
    I wonder if the prescription specifies the toy that you are allowed to buy and if you need one for every single toy you buy

10+ Year Old Account
    This may be the first time ever that I agree with you Orlong. this is one of the STUPIDEST lawsm ever. If a couple thinks it'll help, it should be their business and THEIRS ONLY.

Government need to get out of bedrooms.

If you're not prepared for the consequences, don't have sex [toy].

10+ Year Old Account
    a Prescription to buy adult...sex toys?

Do these government officials think these things through?
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Good ole southern conservatism. They want the government out of their lives, and in everyone else bedrooms.
    Last edited by SL1200; 2014-05-19 at 11:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The solution is to buy them over the internet since local government can't set stupid restrictions on interstate commerce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

what law even permits this?

I know sex toys SHOULD be held the same safety standards as other "toys", but the fuck is a doctor have to do with this?

"ok Mr martin, you have a colonoscopy coming up, I'm writing a prescription for anal douches, butt plugs, and 8' strap ons. need that poop shoot in TIP TOP SHAPE!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    what law even permits this?

I know sex toys SHOULD be held the same safety standards as other "toys", but the fuck is a doctor have to do with this?

"ok Mr martin, you have a colonoscopy coming up, I'm writing a prescription for anal douches, butt plugs, and 8' strap ons. need that poop shoot in TIP TOP SHAPE!"
    Fun Fact: Vibrators were originally a medicinal device designed to treat women with 'hysteria'.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The solution is to buy them over the internet since local government can't set stupid restrictions on interstate commerce.
    I was gonna say, just go online. Better variety anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    Many parts of the south are still stuck in the early 20th century (in more ways than this) back when the female orgasm was a prescription from doctors for manic, bipolar, hysteric and schizophrenic wives.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't understand why people think the government has the right to dictate what other people do or use in the bedroom.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I honestly don't understand why people think the government has the right to dictate what other people do or use in the bedroom.
    I don't understand GOP policies either.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    While Im no fan of adult toys and find it ridiculous that someone would buy one,
    Makes bedroom time more fun. Toys aren't only for single people.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Indeed. There's nothing quite like tying your lover up and teasing them with toys.

....Sorry, got distracted there for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Makes it fun until the vibrator gets lost in the husband's rectum.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, but if they find out that you did that, they could fine/arrest you under the law for owning one I suppose

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of sickness makes me eligible for a fleshlight?

Just curious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    What's the world coming to where a guy can't even buy what he needs to stretch his own butthole without the government getting involved?
    This very well could be signature worthy.

In fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    No, but if they find out that you did that, they could fine/arrest you under the law for owning one I suppose
    Federal common law prohibits punitive action on people for consensual intimate conduct, so...no, they can't.

Deleted
    Curses, "page not found".

Did a search, found this though: http://reason.com/blog/2014/05/16/la...-toy-ordinance

"ordinance banning the sale of sex toys to anyone without a "medical, scientific, educational, legislative, or law enforcement" purpose."

Law enforcement? WTF do they do in interrogations these days? ;p

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand GOP policies either.
    What makes you think it couldnt have been a law written by Dems? We dont even know when it was written.