Slow Internet on One Computer, Fast on Other

I believe that we pay for 20 mbps, which my dad gets on his computer downstairs (connected wirelessly, less than 10 feet from router). I was getting 15 or so upstairs last week.

Suddenly, I start only getting 2 down, but still get 10 up. Why?

Since it's wireless, you might have something new that's interfering with the wifi signal. And that interference might be only on the channels used for downstream. I would first check if anything new is in your house that can put out wireless signals (i.e. cordless phone, microwave, space heater [Yes really. Even normal appliances can sometimes emissions on the 2.4/5 GHz radio spectrum]). Then if that doesn't help, try to see if you can move the pc or it's antenna around a bit and see if the connection improves. Lastly, you could try changing your router's wifi channels. You could have a new neighbor or they have a new router that's overlapping your downstream channels.

Sorry for the lot of IFs but it is hard to track down a wifi signal problem without actually BEING there and looking at the house. If you have a tablet or smartphone, there's free wifi analyser apps you can download to do a test of your signal from where your pc is at. Then move around and see if the signal suddenly gets better in other locations (or if it shows a neighbor router on the same channels).

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...ireless-signal

http://www.howtogeek.com/126327/how-...-interference/

I mean, we just got a new microwave, but it isn't in the path from the router to my computer. Wouldn't interference slow down upload as well as download?

- - - Updated - - -

After connecting with a wire, no change.

Why would that happen, especially when the other computer still gets 20?

When I run the speedtest on my computer I get 50mbps but when I run it on my phone I get like 2mbps. Does your connection seem slow? Maybe try a different speed test.

Could be an issue with the nic in the slower pc

Well, if it's not getting any faster connecting with an ethernet cable then it's definitely not the microwave. I'd first go ahead and do a full scan on your pc for malware or viruses using Malwarebytes or Spybot Search & Destroy. It's possible that it's the pc that is connecting slow not the network.

Also, was any changes made to your pc recently?

either someone is throttling your bandwidth, a program is using a large amount of bandwidth or you nic might be dropping packets (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Lorath View Post
    Well, if it's not getting any faster connecting with an ethernet cable then it's definitely not the microwave. I'd first go ahead and do a full scan on your pc for malware or viruses using Malwarebytes or Spybot Search & Destroy. It's possible that it's the pc that is connecting slow not the network.

Also, was any changes made to your pc recently?
    About a month ago I had a virus problem that I couldn't resolve with any scans. I ran them all. I had to factory reset my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post

I mean, we just got a new microwave, but it isn't in the path from the router to my computer. Wouldn't interference slow down upload as well as download?

- - - Updated - - -

After connecting with a wire, no change.

Why would that happen, especially when the other computer still gets 20?
    To add to what I said before,

There might be two more possible scenarios:

- You are part of a zombie network
    - You are behind a proxy (most likely out of the two)

Well after running Spybot, it only deleted cookies, but my speed went up to 5 Mbps last night and 9 today, so it's back to normal. I'll see if it stays that way.