Thread: Rural flight

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good god, the people against rural living talk about how the people in the country are all ignorant and intolerant...while they themselves are proving that intolerance swings both ways.

Living in the city isn't terrible, has some bad and good things. Living in a rural area isn't terrible, has some bad and good things. The utter insanity of saying rural areas are full of ignorant, intolerant people, when that statement alone proves that they themselves are that...ugh.

You think RURAL areas are hiding spots for those types? Go walk through some of the disctricts in big cities where the schools don't do well. Some places have less then like 40% graduation rate from freaking high school.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I'm glad to see the stereotyping in this thread goes unimpeded by reality...
    Yeah, this is getting beyond belief. Also I have to laugh at someone saying people that don't live in the city are intolerant, ignorant morons, when, in saying that, they are basically calling themselves that as well.
    You're a towel.

Skip to the final word you'll be calling her: wife. I did. Saved me a lot of hassle. Referred to her as my wife basically since we got engaged.
    That's a good plan! I might just do that.
    Well you don't have to go totally rural to get a stand-alone home and some yardage. It's just less the closer you are to the city. But also never fear: the city will inevitably come to you!
    Well, we're going to have to figure out if we plan on staying for the long run or if it's going to be a jumping off point. She has approximately three years of grad school left. I have a new position that I'm fairly excited about, but I'm not exactly committed to sticking for life. We both love trying new places out, so it's plausible that we'll be in a new place before long. If we bought, my inclination would actually be towards a downtown duplex; I have some property management experience and the numbers work out great for owner occupied duplexes.

From an architectural point of view, I like cities. But they're something I prefer to study from a distance and visit now and again, rather than live in. Of course when I say "city", I'm talking about somewhere with at least half a million people.
    Yeah, I've tried a few different sizes out. I started in a place with a population of less than 700 in the village, and we lived a couple miles outside the village. I moved to Buffalo, which is 300,000 people, about a million in the metro area. Now DC, which is legitimately big. Next, Madison, which is ~250,000 people also. That's about my speed, that size feels like home to me the most.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad to see the stereotyping in this thread goes unimpeded by reality...
    Then WHY does the theme from Deliverance play in my head anytime I leave the city limits, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Then WHY does the theme from Deliverance play in my head anytime I leave the city limits, huh?
    I don't know. Whenever I leave city limits all I hear is Mariachi music.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It's not in your head. You're being followed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It's not in your head. You're being followed.
    Which is hilarious since most of my sodomy occurs within the city limits. Hurr hurr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rural folk are a bunch of ignorant morons!!!11!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/ed...22dropout.html

Yeah who cares what the data says, country people are STOOPID!
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a good plan! I might just do that.
    I bet she'll love it too.

Well, we're going to have to figure out if we plan on staying for the long run or if it's going to be a jumping off point. She has approximately three years of grad school left. I have a new position that I'm fairly excited about, but I'm not exactly committed to sticking for life. We both love trying new places out, so it's plausible that we'll be in a new place before long. If we bought, my inclination would actually be towards a downtown duplex; I have some property management experience and the numbers work out great for owner occupied duplexes.

Yeah, I've tried a few different sizes out. I started in a place with a population of less than 700 in the village, and we lived a couple miles outside the village. I moved to Buffalo, which is 300,000 people, about a million in the metro area. Now DC, which is legitimately big. Next, Madison, which is ~250,000 people also. That's about my speed, that size feels like home to me the most.
    My current city is Cheyenne, which is ~50k. I previously lived in the Emerald Triangle (Humboldt county CA, Eureka, Arcata, McKinleyville) which was about the same but much more spread out and an absolutely horrid place to live. Before that was Monterey, one of the most ridiculously overpriced areas in California, and then prior to that Bakersfield which is just a general dump.

I could go a little bigger than I am, maybe cap at 100k. But I wouldn't want to go further than that. I live close enough to Fort Collins and therefore Denver to know that's just way too damn crazy...or that might just be the Coloradoians.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    You want your children to become academics? Stay the fuck away from rural areas.

Is there like any reason to live in the rural areas unless you enjoy spending time with grannies or have an emotional connection to underdeveloped areas?
    I call BS on that study. I have 3 children. One is a major in the Army, has a degree in Criminology from Ohio State. Another is the Deputy Director of Informational Services for the Department of Transportation of Ohio and has 2 degrees from Ohio University and my daughter trains horses and dogs. All 3 were raised out in the country on the 14 acres I own. They all 3 had to work hard as kids and helped around here. All 3 are very responsible and very well educated.

Living out where I do is quiet, gorgeous scenery and a lot less crime. I have a paved road to town 12 miles away, natural gas , central air , a spring for water and high speed internet connection. What would the city have to offer me?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I call BS on that study. I have 3 children. One is a major in the Army, has a degree in Criminology from Ohio State. Another is the Deputy Director of Informational Services for the Department of Transportation of Ohio and has 2 degrees from Ohio University and my daughter trains horses and dogs. All 3 were raised out in the country on the 14 acres I own. They all 3 had to work hard as kids and helped around here. All 3 are very responsible and very well educated.

Living out where I do is quiet, gorgeous scenery and a lot less crime. I have a paved road to town 12 miles away, natural gas , central air , a spring for water and high speed internet connection. What would the city have to offer me?

That will only count as anecdotal evidence because it does not support the misconception that cities are far, far better then everything else and anyone living in the country is a bumpkin.
    You're a towel.

I bet she'll love it too.
    She won't care one way or the other, to an unbelievable extent. We love each other completely, but we're super-duper unromantic people. Not to take away from the experience of people with diagnosed disorders, but picture a really compatible, but borderline Aspergersy couple. A lot of, "oh, OK, that makes sense" when it comes to thinking about marriage paperwork rather than getting real romantic. We're lucky to have found each other! Most people are really put off by it.

My current city is Cheyenne, which is ~50k. I previously lived in the Emerald Triangle (Humboldt county CA, Eureka, Arcata, McKinleyville) which was about the same but much more spread out and an absolutely horrid place to live. Before that was Monterey, one of the most ridiculously overpriced areas in California, and then prior to that Bakersfield which is just a general dump.

I could go a little bigger than I am, maybe cap at 100k. But I wouldn't want to go further than that. I live close enough to Fort Collins and therefore Denver to know that's just way too damn crazy...or that might just be the Coloradoians.
    Ha, Fort Collins and Boulder have both been on her radar as potential places to live in the long run. Since I don't really care, I'll basically go wherever she'd want. I'm against the megalopolises, but aside from that, I'm good. She's an LA girl originally, but thankfully doesn't want to live there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ha, Fort Collins and Boulder have both been on her radar as potential places to live in the long run. Since I don't really care, I'll basically go wherever she'd want. I'm against the megalopolises, but aside from that, I'm good. She's an LA girl originally, but thankfully doesn't want to live there.
    Ft. Collins is almost a Denver suburb at this point. There's almost no distinction between where Denver begins and FoCo begins.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    The largest city I could see myself living in is a city like Duluth, MN. Somehow every time I got there it maintains its small city charm, despite its size and such.I think it has just under 90,000 people at the moment, and it is where I went to college.

Also the mayor there is a rising politician, I've never seen someone so beloved in his town lol :P I think he has like a 90% approval rating and ran unopposed last election. Don Ness is his name, if you see him in the senate (or higher) someday, don't be surprised!
    You're a towel.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    That will only count as anecdotal evidence because it does not support the misconception that cities are far, far better then everything else and anyone living in the country is a bumpkin.
    Lol. I have a Romanian army rifle with a bayonet attached. I should take a pic of that with me in my bib overalls, straw hat, and beard. With a statement at the bottom..." Typical rural Ohioan."

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol. I have a Romanian army rifle with a bayonet attached. I should take a pic of that with me in my bib overalls, straw hat, and beard. With a statement at the bottom..." Typical rural Ohioan."
    Don't forget a stalk of wheat or something chilling in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    You want to be close to work? Live in the city.

You want to have access to services 24/7? Live in the city.

You want to get an education? Well, schools at distance are becoming more common but most people prefer to be in the cities and that's where the education facilities are.

You want your children to become academics? Stay the fuck away from rural areas.

Is there like any reason to live in the rural areas unless you enjoy spending time with grannies or have an emotional connection to underdeveloped areas?
    You couldn't possibly be more arrogant. Your life must be pretty pathetic.

Make sure you either go wifebeater or shirtless with those overalls, smear dirt on you, and have a 24 pack of booze near you.

To me, cities are fine to visit, not to live. I get really uncomfortable around loads of people as well. I do get tired of the smug superiority complex many city dwellers have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    To me, cities are fine to visit, not to live. I get really uncomfortable around loads of people as well. I do get tired of the smug superiority complex many city dwellers have.
    I think the smugness is partially related with a lot of the career paths that a city attracts, lawyers for one, I've only ever met less than a handful of lawyers in my life that seemed like genuinly nice people...

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    I think the smugness is partially related with a lot of the career paths that a city attracts, lawyers for one, I've only ever met less than a handful of lawyers in my life that seemed like genuinly nice people...
    While I do not like the profession as a whole, I've found that people are pretty good at divesting themselves of their work when they're at home. I have a pretty couple pretty awesome friend/acquaintances (folks I'm not that close to, but hang out with) that are in law.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I do not like the profession as a whole, I've found that people are pretty good at divesting themselves of their work when they're at home. I have a pretty couple pretty awesome friend/acquaintances (folks I'm not that close to, but hang out with) that are in law.
    One of the most awesome, silly guys I know is a lawyer. Probably compensates for the fact he works in divorce, which is incredibly depressing.