View Poll Results: Do you use adblocker / noscript to browse the web?

Voters
128. This poll is closed
  • Yes

121 94.53%
  • No

7 5.47%
Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Do use adblocker and noscript?

Every now and then I accidentally use chrome to browse the web (I don't have noscript or adblocker installed on Chrome) and I always regret it within seconds; this site especially. The ads are so annoying, I'm trying to read the front page and there's some stupid video playing on the bottom of the page -- it drives me nuts.

Some websites I will visit without adblocker because that's obviously how websites make money but mmo-c has the most annoying ads and I will always use firefox to block out that garbage.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Deleted
    Yes, because I hate audio adds with a passion.

10+ Year Old Account
    i run adblocker regardless of what site i visit. i wasnt gonna buy your junk anyway. so i dont need to see your commercials. this is a problem between owner of site and companies trying to advertise on it, not me. owners should renegotiate to include being paid even if people run adblocker. it should be the companies who take the risk not the owner of the site.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Has it really been a week already? Seems like only yesterday we had the weekly adblocker thread.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Yeah, at least add blocker. Some of the adds, especially on this board, lound, intrusive, downright disgusting, yeah I mean you, "totally not pedophile korean anime mmo with almost naked children" ...

I haven't bothered with NoScript since Firefox forced an update. I use Flashblock to stop video/audio from automatically playing when a site loads.

Yes to both. They are a good first-line defense for malware. You'd be surprised how many unwanted things you can get from hidden scripts and those darn banner adds....
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

OP, on a forum largely based on gaming and e-things, what you think ?

This thread will turn into a hate and defend for addblock by thread 3-4.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Has it really been a week already? Seems like only yesterday we had the weekly adblocker thread.
    It seems I missed the party.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Yes to both. They are a good first-line defense for malware. You'd be surprised how many unwanted things you can get from hidden scripts and those darn banner adds....
    This was the reason I installed them in the first place, the ad-blocking came as a bonus.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Yup, ads. Ads everywhere. Can't stand it.

On specific sites yes.

I use both.
    The recent issue with wowhead, though not of their doing is showing exactly what one of the issues of flash-based advertising is.
    An easy route for malware.

The other element which I am more vocal about is just downright annoying tactics such as auto-playing video/audio, increased page loading times, interference such as pop-ups over other content.

When ads stop fighting for your attention, and actually become an advertisement again rather than a full-blown presentation in their own right, then I will consider disabling adblock more regularly.

If any website feels they are losing revenue, then stop mindlessly bashing the users and look at the real cause.
    Put pressure on those serving the ads, and tell them to go follow the guidelines that even adblock by default allows through.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Adblocker. Never will I ever go to a website without it. I don't care if a site gets ad revenue. If you want me to pay for using your site, charge me. Because you raping my ears and eyes with crap that I don't want to see or hear is unexceptable.

Yes, because my bandwidth is limited and cutting out wastes of time and Kb is just smart, plus the added PC health of stopping invasive scripts and malware bullshit.

of course I use them.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I use Ad-blocker and I don't whitelist any sites. Mostly because I am lazy and cbf'd when I can just not worry about ads ever.

Before the inevitable thread poop spiral, I'd like to inform you that AdBlock Plus has a built in whitelist of acceptable ads (completely optional if you want to enable this feature).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    interesting topic - finally someone brave enough to broach the subject on this forum.

anyhoo: adblock ftw

I do have AdBlock installed, but I whitelist several sites I prefer to support, including this one. However, I also have FlashBlock installed, so Flash ads get blocked anyway, but non-Flash ads will still show.

Originally, i did'nt have a problem with adds. Generally i still dont see a huge problem in most of them.
    BUT... when they started to make noise with em. Not pleasent sounds if you are stupid enough to click em but genuine noise, that was where i went from nuissance to extreme annoyance.
    If they would be kind enough to stop making my ears bleed, ill gladly disable my add blocker again. But since i doubt that will happen, add blocking it all.