Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Phantasy Star and FF Series

Is there any talk of them making new Phantasy Star or FF games like the turn based classics instead of the Online Universe crap?

New Phantasy Star? Sadly, it's probably never going to get a single-player RPG outside of rereleases.

But Squeenix has been talking about a return to the classic style of RPGs, so that is probably going to happen soon.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    New Phantasy Star? Sadly, it's probably never going to get a single-player RPG outside of rereleases.

But Squeenix has been talking about a return to the classic style of RPGs, so that is probably going to happen soon.
    Really?! Do you have links?

Come to think of it, any plans for Dragon Warrior aka Dragon Quest?

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Come to think of it, any plans for Dragon Warrior aka Dragon Quest?
    Some titles out for the 3DS and Wii U in Japan, I don't believe they've been localized but they I think they are planning to at some point. Hopefully.

Also, some really good entries on the DS if you can find some copies. I really enjoyed Sentinels of the Starry Skies, felt like a legit old school turn base RPG. With some new elements added as well.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2014-07-05 at 07:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's from an interview after Bravely Default's worldwide success: link
    I personally took it as that they are going to continue to make 'traditional' JRPGs like Bravely Default. I doubt they are going to change the action direction FF is taking.

Dragon Quest XI is currently in development.

New Phantasy Star based on original Sega series will be cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmUguq-jfl8

I know it's not "official" but it still looks like a fun throw back if you enjoy the originals. Send him some support if you'd play.

Quote Originally Posted by mikepic View Post

I know it's not "official" but it still looks like a fun throw back if you enjoy the originals. Send him some support if you'd play.
    Ty for link,its great and funny)

Quote Originally Posted by mikepic View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmUguq-jfl8

It looks awesome! Isn't he afraid of being sued though?

Last classic Phantasy Star was released 20 (!) years ago. There is just no way that Phantasy Star V will ever be released.

Final Fantasy on other hand... FF XV will be more like Action game, so the only way we will see return to classic Final Fantasy will be with FF XVI, which will be released minimum in 5 years from now.

Deleted
    The great thing about FF is the differentiation between the Main Series and Spin-offs. you probably wont see a new Main title with the old mechanics, but there is place for such things in the franchise. I think the last FF title with a 'classic' system was FF: 4 heroes of light for the DS. Bravely Default is a true representation of the classic turn-based formula, and a FF title in all but name.

I wouldn't expect a game of this kind with modern day graphics released for the new consoles for full price though. the main audience doesnt want top-notch graphics anyway, because they are looking for something else in these games (as well as a bit of retro nostalgia)

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    my favorite final fantasy combat system was X. im a big turned based stratagey game guy so being able to plan out members turns and order was fun for me.

they keep coming back to ATB system but i dont care for it. we'll see how FFXV turns out. i think u either have a complete action RPG(like dragon age 2, kingdom hearts) or random encounter turn based fights (like the older final fantasys and ffx)
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    [...] FF XV will be more like Action game, so the only way we will see return to classic Final Fantasy will be with FF XVI, which will be released minimum in 5 years from now.
    This makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Corros View Post
    The great thing about FF is the differentiation between the Main Series and Spin-offs. you probably wont see a new Main title with the old mechanics, but there is place for such things in the franchise. I think the last FF title with a 'classic' system was FF: 4 heroes of light for the DS. Bravely Default is a true representation of the classic turn-based formula, and a FF title in all but name.

I wouldn't expect a game of this kind with modern day graphics released for the new consoles for full price though. the main audience doesnt want top-notch graphics anyway, because they are looking for something else in these games (as well as a bit of retro nostalgia)
    Using Dragon Quest to tide me over doesn't cut it. It's wierd to aoe for 45 dmg each at lv 60 when mobs have 900 hp.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    my favorite final fantasy combat system was X. [...]
    I'm obsessed with summons but hated X's system.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Some titles out for the 3DS and Wii U in Japan, I don't believe they've been localized but they I think they are planning to at some point. Hopefully.

Also, some really good entries on the DS if you can find some copies. I really enjoyed Sentinels of the Starry Skies, felt like a legit old school turn base RPG. With some new elements added as well.
    They aren't planning on localizing any of the 3DS games, if they were there would have been release dates announced at E3. Square Enix is an arrogant company run by ignorant fucks who don't understand what gamers want. For almost a decade they have pumped out mediocre RPG's that hardcore fans don't want and have ignored the constant complaints from the fans that every Final Fantasy game since 9 has been shitty in some way and taken away from the classic feel of the franchise. Dragon Quest has been getting terrible treatment from them since they acquired Enix and it only gets worse as the months roll by. They care more about porting all the old games to Android and iOS then they do to translate games that 3DS owners have been begging for internationally since they were announced. Dragon Quest Monsters 1 and 2 have both had remakes as well as the remake of 7, none of which will never see the light of day outside of Japan so long as Square Enix holds the rights to the franchise because they are holding the series hostage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    It's from an interview after Bravely Default's worldwide success: link
    I personally took it as that they are going to continue to make 'traditional' JRPGs like Bravely Default. I doubt they are going to change the action direction FF is taking.

Dragon Quest XI is currently in development.
    It would be in their best interest for them to fix Final Fantasy because as far as I am concerned the last good games in the franchise were FFTA2 for the DS and FF10 for the PS2. Kinda pathetic that they have only made two great games that one could consider recent and both are almost 10 years old already.

I'd love to see another 'classic' Final Fantasy complete with a world map, loads of side quests, turn based combat, a solid story and interesting characters. I loved Final Fantasy 9 and 12, so something similar to them would be brilliant as well. I want a large, non-linear world to explore and lose myself in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It would be in their best interest for them to fix Final Fantasy because as far as I am concerned the last good games in the franchise were FFTA2 for the DS and FF10 for the PS2. Kinda pathetic that they have only made two great games that one could consider recent and both are almost 10 years old already.
    Until they see a decline in sales they'll keep doing what they're doing. While I thought FFXIII and it's sequels were the epitome of terrible design people ate them up. We've got no one to blame but the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    They aren't planning on localizing any of the 3DS games, if they were there would have been release dates announced at E3. Square Enix is an arrogant company run by ignorant fucks who don't understand what gamers want. For almost a decade they have pumped out mediocre RPG's that hardcore fans don't want and have ignored the constant complaints from the fans that every Final Fantasy game since 9 has been shitty in some way and taken away from the classic feel of the franchise. Dragon Quest has been getting terrible treatment from them since they acquired Enix and it only gets worse as the months roll by. They care more about porting all the old games to Android and iOS then they do to translate games that 3DS owners have been begging for internationally since they were announced. Dragon Quest Monsters 1 and 2 have both had remakes as well as the remake of 7, none of which will never see the light of day outside of Japan so long as Square Enix holds the rights to the franchise because they are holding the series hostage.
    I don't know why they wouldn't translate them, especially after ff 14's screw up. It can't be that difficult or expensive. They wanted to restore their good name but chose to deny international fans of good titles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caesius Baelthar View Post
    I'd love to see another 'classic' Final Fantasy complete with a world map, loads of side quests, turn based combat, a solid story and interesting characters. I loved Final Fantasy 9 and 12, so something similar to them would be brilliant as well. I want a large, non-linear world to explore and lose myself in.
    I hated everything about 9, and 12's combat.

Until they see a decline in sales they'll keep doing what they're doing. While I thought FFXIII and it's sequels were the epitome of terrible design people ate them up. We've got no one to blame but the players.
    Lightning Returns hasn't sold well at all. 13 sold about as well as a mainline FF game should, and 13-2 sold pretty decent for a low budget sequel reusing all the assets of 13.

But let's be honest here, FF13 has a lot in common with FF10 and nostalgia glasses hide it. It was clear they tried to make the game like FF10, and tried to make the combat system similar to 10-2.

FFX and FFXIII linear... check
    X and XIII hallway simulators with way too many cut scenes... check
    X and XIII both have over the top either whiny or annoying characters. The only ones even tolerable are Auron, Lulu, Sahz and Fang.
    X and XIII both have a large open area that opens up 25ish hours into the game, and is the only such place in either game.
    X and XIII both have a retarded boss who you don't even have a clue of what he is actually trying to accomplish and keeps reappearing in Barthandelous and Seymour.

Both games suck the hard one and 13 tried to mirror 10 in most aspects, but at least XIII had a fun battle system and wasn't the easiest main line FF game ever(that being X).

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Lightning Returns hasn't sold well at all. 13 sold about as well as a mainline FF game should, and 13-2 sold pretty decent for a low budget sequel reusing all the assets of 13.

But let's be honest here, FF13 has a lot in common with FF10 and nostalgia glasses hide it. It was clear they tried to make the game like FF10, and tried to make the combat system similar to 10-2.

FFX and FFXIII linear... check
    X and XIII hallway simulators with way too many cut scenes... check
    X and XIII both have over the top either whiny or annoying characters. The only ones even tolerable are Auron, Lulu, Sahz and Fang.
    X and XIII both have a large open area that opens up 25ish hours into the game, and is the only such place in either game.
    X and XIII both have a retarded boss who you don't even have a clue of what he is actually trying to accomplish and keeps reappearing in Barthandelous and Seymour.

Both games suck the hard one and 13 tried to mirror 10 in most aspects, but at least XIII had a fun battle system and wasn't the easiest main line FF game ever(that being X).
    I haven't played 13, only watched some on youtube. Between the countdown and bonuses for quick combat, doesn't the game feel rushed? Cool concept though.

They're targeting a completely different audience at this point in time. It certainly appears that way, at least.