Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

The Most Legendary, Legendary!

In terms of looks, lore, and even how much power it gave you at the time how do you rank the legendary items? Kael'thas items and such don't count.

Warglaives of Azzinoth - among the most dramatically awesome looking weapons, I mean they were the blades that Illidan had the audacity of brandishing in front of you and yelling "You Are not Prepared"......"well I got your weapons bra guess I came pretty stacked" They did wonders for the gearcheck against Brutallus in the Sunwell.

Thunderfury - still the largest one hander in the game, it was an item so powerful that it still had it's uses at level 70. Having to kill the Prince Thunderaan made it feel special, if there was more lore behind it though it would be my number one due to it's power, but Illidian is Illidian sorry.

Val'anyr - not to familar with the background of this one but it get's points for being a healing legendary. It also did wonders for Heroic guilds to be able to shield their allies. I'm not sure however if this Legendary ever became a victim of the high item inflation of the ICC epics.

Dragonwrath, Taragosa's Rest - Let me first say I'm being bias since I was around much for Cata to properly judge their legendary's, perhaps they should be higher. The quest chain for this was awesome, you see Malygos become to new Aspect of Magic, the capital city filled with blue dragons with a silloute of Taragosa, and transformed you into a freakin dragon. I also heard that it made casters become extremely powerful. Looked amazing also.

Fangs of the Father - probably should be higher since their created from parts of Deathwing I believe. I have no idea how strong they made you, but I know they gave you batwings like awesome!

Sulfurnas Hand of Ragnaros - Not to sure just how much more powerful this item made you, but the name is just so awesome to me and back then Ragnaros was just such a badass having his weapon was just so awesome.

Shadowmourne - The one legendary I actually acquired during Wrath, to be honest though I always found the model underwhelming, while it's design reflecting Frostmourne was cool, the axe itself just seemed far too small, almost like a hachet. Those purple swirlies you got though made you look so freakin pimp though. It's power spike though I don't think was as dramatic as other legendarys.

Legendary Cloaks - well since everyone and their mother seems to have this it kind of makes it less awesome, however seeing the Celestials appear behind you is sweet. The power spike is quite incredible also.

Thori'dal Stars of Fury - by far the worst imo, absolutely no lore behind it, just a legendary the final boss of the expansion drops therefore it ruins the purpose of the powerspike you receive. Also have no idea how much stronger it made you.
    Last edited by Kahmal; 2014-08-23 at 07:40 PM.

Out of curiosity, what class were you for your Shadowmourne? If you used ARP and had it capped, you turned into a complete monster with the weapon.

Inb4 ppl scream that u missed the naxx40 staff!

Oh and Thunderfury is my no1 without any contest. Our MT used it well into TBC raiding... No2 is Sulfuras, simply coz a shammy in WSG would wipe my whole team with that and windfury without even trying, crazy OP weapon. No3 goes to the glavies, they look fugly but damn they were nice.. too bad we got like 328957 mainhands and not a SINGLE offhand during the whole expansion!
    Last edited by Dawon; 2014-08-23 at 07:42 PM.

Thunderfury was awesome as it required a huge group effort to get, and gave a large boost to your tanks ability. Unfortunately, while it was a huge group effort it went to one person you hoped would stick around. If it was tied to a guild, or it created a buff that anyone who was there when it was completed could grant to their tank it would have been a better reward.

Warglaives of Azinoth were awesome as they were something you were familiar with from the lore. Random drops are it's biggest downfall.

I didn't play MoP, but I like the idea behind the cloaks, other than them being cloaks anyway. The seem like they were a reward for people willing to do at least a little bit of everything the game had to offer, which I think is brilliant.

So, something between these three, probably Thunderfury as it's a reward that focuses on rewarding a group and acquiring it opened up an additional boss (though sadly not really a loot boss nor repeatable)

10+ Year Old Account
    glaives are the best.

Thori'dal and Val'anyr are tied for the most legendary legendary because they are brought up so little their existence has become akin to legend.

I think Dragonwrath was the only one that actually rewarded the guild for helping someone through the Lil Taragosa pet, so it gets points for that.

Although out of the ones I've experienced, speaking JUST from the quests, and not "Who has it", I'd have to say it's a tie between Shadowmourne and the Capes. Ignoring the fact that "everyone has the capes", it was a pretty great quest line overall, especially the trials of the Celestial part.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love this staff, this for me is the most legendary legendary

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Out of curiosity, what class were you for your Shadowmourne? If you used ARP and had it capped, you turned into a complete monster with the weapon.
    Well tbh my guild broke up before I could finish it so I had to do GDKP runs to get the final shards, so I suppose I never truly tested it's full power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Easily the greatstaff of the guardian. Only legendary that has ever been useful an expansion later(I mean, my guild tanks still used tfury in black temple and hyjal, but I doubt many others did cause wtf), since it came with a built in portal to the bc starting raid
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

7+ Year Old Account
    Val'anyr did indeed become a victim of ilvl inflation. :\ But, due to the nature of WOTLK healing, it was still situationally useful in ICC because of how OP absorbs are in that healing environment.

If I split the concept of "legendary" between the definition "having myth and lore from long ago attached to it" and "containing aspects of power or desirable traits that go beyond human ability" my list is kind of torn.

On the first definition, Ashbringer would have to win for being able to turn the tides of wars in moments by simply being wielded by someone who can use it, but seeing as no player can use it, it has to be left out. In that case I'd have to say its somewhere between Sulfuras and Glaives. Both have existed for thousands of years and are feared in their own right.

In the second, the Legendary Cloaks win pretty much by default. It was originally created by taking a fragment of power from four demigods (The strength, wisdom, fortitude and hope of beings seemingly created by the Titans) and a tiny portion of the power of The Last Black Dragon. (Who may very well be the Earth Warder.) Then, seeing that the cloak was not enough, Wrathion used essense derived from an unstable timeway in order to "safely" imbue enough of his own power into that cloak to allow you to take on the aspect of one of the demigods in battle.

Close second for the second definition, though? Shadowmourne. While not nearly as complicated and epic (traditional definition) as the cloaks, there was a deep-seated emotional journey inside that weapon to allow those wronged by the Blade of the Lich King to match his power in some small way in order to transfer that hate and misery back at him. I wish I would have been playing a class that could have gotten it back in the day but that wasn't to be.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no doubt, Atiesh.
    "Ubi sementem feceris, ita mettes."

Quote Originally Posted by Deffry View Post
    There is no doubt, Atiesh.
    I forgot to name Atiesh, but besides the portal to Karazhan which wasn't even a raid in Vanilla how much power did it give. It had no special procs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Uhm?

They removed ARP pretty quick during ICC, I remember because I turned my hunter into a glass tank and then poof. So idk if there were very many with arp focusing SM wielders. Of course, that was years ago though.

Edit: Ohp nvm, now I remember and found out, it was 4.1 removal, and i switched form hunter to ret pally late ICC, that's where the confusion was, makes sense though.
    Last edited by Realsykes; 2014-08-23 at 08:17 PM.

Shadowmourne was my favorite. I actually got it on my warrior when it was relevant content, so there was a little more sense of accomplishment vs getting the other legendaries when I was 85 and could solo steamroll the content.

And yeah, warriors could wreck shit with that thing. If you popped your cooldowns with it, something was going to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal View Post
    I forgot to name Atiesh, but besides the portal to Karazhan which wasn't even a raid in Vanilla how much power did it give. It had no special procs.
    No procs, but it still had some pretty ridiculous stats if I remember right. It gave a nice group buff of spell power/spell crit (depending on what "version" of the staff you had). It was still really damn good all the way through level 70's T4 content. The portal to Karazhan was more of a "coolness" thing that I don't think had any practical use before BC came out.

Also it is by far the most rare legendary you'll see in the game. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone with it.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-08-23 at 09:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of quality:

Thunderfury wins by default. Unique look. Unique stats. Unique proc. Nerfed throughout the game's lifepsan, even with MoP. Even with WoD it will receive nerfs.

In terms of effort:
    Black Qiraji Resonating Crystal and Atiesh are the most legendary legendaries. The amount of total work and cost it took to make was mind-numbing (including rep and attunement with Naxx/Argent/etc)

Shadowmourne, Sulfuras, and Thunderfury are profession-walled legendaries. (Granted there is some negligible reputation walls)

Val'anyr, Dragonwrath, and Fangs of the Father are grind-walled legendaries.

Glaives and Thoridal are welfare legendaries (and arguably Talisman of the Binding Shard). They're handed out to "the lucky few".

The class-quests (Quel'Serrar, hunter staff/bow, warlock mount, etc) Original 0.5 Tier and AQ rep/turnin gear sets are legendary on their own right. While not in color, but effort.

HWL/GM were cheesed and required little effort other than time. Getting exalted BG rep was a higher honor
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Oh my, this just reminded me of playing my 3's cleave with my warrior with Shadowmourne and heroic Deathbringer's Will...

how glorious....

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    Shadowmourne was my favorite. I actually got it on my warrior when it was relevant content, so there was a little more sense of accomplishment vs getting the other legendaries when I was 85 and could solo steamroll the content.

And yeah, warriors could wreck shit with that thing. If you popped your cooldowns with it, something was going to die.

No procs, but it still had some pretty ridiculous stats if I remember right. It gave a nice group buff of spell power/spell crit (depending on what "version" of the staff you had). It was still really damn good all the way through level 70's T4 content. The portal to Karazhan was more of a "coolness" thing that I don't think had any practical use before BC came out.

Also it is by far the most rare legendary you'll see in the game. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone with it.
    Ret pallies won by far in terms of mourne usage.

Popping wings when you stocked up SM, and then you have LoH and a bubble? Done.