Deleted

Why are so many people banned?

Ok, first off, I hope asking this is not against the rules but I've noticed a lot of posters, most of them with over 1000 posts getting banned. Now I'm totally fine with abusive people getting removed who never add anything constructive and just blatantly break the rules but most these infraction seem to be handed out for completely trivial things like someone making a harmless joke or things that were never actually said and maybe not even hinted but got an infraction anyway because the mod "read between the lines".

So um.. whats up with that?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I notice the exact opposite. The same people that create flame bait topics/post looking for an argument. They might get the stick, but a week or two later, and they are back in rare form. It kinda reminds me of gold farmers in MMOs and TPTB allow it to go.
    You cared enough to post.

You don't see everything that they do, infractions stack up.

Whenever I have gotten infracted, it has been well deserved. Same goes for the rest. In fact, I wonder why some posters are still around considering how often they create flamebait topics or resort to petty insults and outbursts of rage in threads.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are always going to be mods that will ban and infract because you say something they strongly disagree with under some feeble excuse of a rule that wasn't actually broken. Even with that though, I don’t know myself how some people get banned so often. I haven’t gotten banned once, and I’m not the least controversial poster around. I don’t know how some people seem to be banned once a month either even with some mods being less than dutiful in moderating.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

From what I've gathered of my numerous infractions: There's a point system, getting infracted on these boards is incredibly easy if you know which buttons to push in which threads. If someone gets banned it's because they're a raging asshole who can't even stay clean enough for these forums(and that is saying a LOT), it's just a one fuck-up, or you piss off a mod on their period, it's something you have to really work towards.

Example: Most of my infractions are 5 points, but some time ago I got nailed with a 10 pointer for the statement "That's a bit of an oxymoron". Just need to be careful of what you say in which thread.

E: I'll probably get another infraction for mentioning a past infraction, hah!

Deleted
    I got an infraction once for telling someone asking relationship advice to grow a pair, and to man up and not take the abuse off his g/f or something along those lines...

Another sure fire way to get an infraction these days is to disagree with Enders' politics in general off-topic - I have seen some ridiculous infractions there.

Surprised that other more senior moderators haven't taken him to task over it, but hey, that's only my opinion.

Some of it does seem heavy handed, others completely warranted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's not forget that people just don't bother to read up on the rules. For example, every post in this thread could potentially receive an infraction for discussing moderator actions. Do a little light reading and actually see what infractable offenses there are.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Let's not forget that people just don't bother to read up on the rules. For example, every post in this thread could potentially receive an infraction for discussing moderator actions. Do a little light reading and actually see what infractable offenses there are.
    Do not listen to this madman! Reading forum rules? that's like reading the ToS when you buy a new game or software.

On a serious note, it's not hard to not get banned without reading the rules. It's just that some (or most) people don't care that they get banned just to prove their point.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    Do not listen to this madman! Reading forum rules? that's like reading the ToS when you buy a new game or software.

On a serious note, it's not hard to not get banned without reading the rules. It's just that some (or most) people don't care that they get banned just to prove their point.
    It's not such a big deal to get banned if all you lose is your postcount and maybe your nickname.

I might point out:

Discussing moderator based actions

Actions taken against a member of the community are not to be discussed in public on the forums. Opinions about specific moderators or moderator actions (locking, deleting threads, etc) are also not to be discussed in posts or threads.

If you have questions, remarks, suggestions or complaints about moderating in general or specific moderators, please contact our website admin through a private message.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Even then I don't see how some people get banned so often. I never read the rules myself (reading instructions... lol) and somehow never got banned.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I might point out:

Discussing moderator based actions

Actions taken against a member of the community are not to be discussed in public on the forums. Opinions about specific moderators or moderator actions (locking, deleting threads, etc) are also not to be discussed in posts or threads.

If you have questions, remarks, suggestions or complaints about moderating in general or specific moderators, please contact our website admin through a private message.
    Apparently admins are asleep though... POST PONIES!!!
    Last edited by DEATHETERNAL; 2014-08-23 at 09:55 PM.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by TheFuse View Post
    From what I've gathered of my numerous infractions: There's a point system, getting infracted on these boards is incredibly easy if you know which buttons to push in which threads. If someone gets banned it's because they're a raging asshole who can't even stay clean enough for these forums(and that is saying a LOT), it's just a one fuck-up, or you piss off a mod on their period, it's something you have to really work towards.

Example: Most of my infractions are 5 points, but some time ago I got nailed with a 10 pointer for the statement "That's a bit of an oxymoron". Just need to be careful of what you say in which thread.

E: I'll probably get another infraction for mentioning a past infraction, hah!

...I doubt that has been a reason EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    ...I doubt that has been a reason EVER.
    Once after i got a mod edit on my post i wanted too say "yay i got a mod butthurt Bring it ..." but i diden't
    and You say i woulden't be banned for pissing off Mods?

It doesn't matter if someone has 25 posts, or 25,000 posts: people get infractions/bans for breaking rules. A majority of the time the bans are temporary.

If you'd like to know how our infraction/ban system works, it's laid out HERE in our rules.

If anyone has any questions or concerns regarding their own infractions or bans, please don't hesitate to contact a global moderator (like myself).