Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    75% of workers are doing a job they do not like.
    sounds accurate. most people hate their jobs. if you're doing something you enjoy you should stick to it and try to find ways to move up the progression ladder.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    That is such stupid advice. For majority of people working for money allows you to live more relaxed outside of your job. You don't necessarily have to do a job you enjoy, just make sure you don't do something you hate as those lead to depressions and indeed an unhappy life.
    If you have to live uncomfortably for 3 years to achieve something that may make you comfortable and happy for 20+ with pension, sans police like OP mentioned I'd say its worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Working 40-50 hours a week, getting paid 3k per month. How's that good?
    Better than working 40-50 hours at minimum wage (in California it's 9.50) making 1520-1900 before taxes. If I got paid 3k a month I think I would be the happiest person in the world right now.

If I were OP I'd stay at the security job and go to school for whatever it is you decide to do. You said you'd have time to study while you're at work which is perfect and if someone tries to call you an underachiever you can say "well I work full time and I'm a student." I feel the same way you do - I'm only 23 but I'm not like some of my class mates who already have BAs and are living it up. I'm putting myself through school since mommy and daddy couldn't pay for it so it makes all of my achievements that much sweeter. The cook job sounds good simply because it is in the military and you have some job security but I think in the long run you'd end up hurting yourself more taking that path.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    judging 25man raiding by LFR standards saying it requires no coordination, is like saying 5mans require cheese sandwiches because i like turtles.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    If a chimp ever complains then I will apologise.
    It's not the chimp's fault, he came from an impoverished background and the fact that he can make a grilled cheese is an achievement for this beautiful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    It's not the chimp's fault, he came from an impoverished background and the fact that he can make a grilled cheese is an achievement for this beautiful thing.
    I know a cook that for the life of her, she cant make one without burning it. Can make an intercate meal, cant make a fucking sandwhich.

Then there is my boyfriend, who is a junior sous, and cant cook anything at home. Blames electric shit stoves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    I know a cook that for the life of her, she cant make one without burning it. Can make an intercate meal, cant make a fucking sandwhich.

Then there is my boyfriend, who is a junior sous, and cant cook anything at home. Blames electric shit stoves.
    Imagine when she makes a grilled cheese without burning it? It'll be the greatest thing to grace the world and cure cancer, world hunger, and the wealth inequality in one fell swoop.

As for the other guy I dunno what to tell him. It's not the equipment that's bad most of the time and you can make a dinner over a campfire and it'll be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    Imagine when she makes a grilled cheese without burning it? It'll be the greatest thing to grace the world and cure cancer, world hunger, and the wealth inequality in one fell swoop.

As for the other guy I dunno what to tell him. It's not the equipment that's bad most of the time and you can make a dinner over a campfire and it'll be good.
    Nah, grilled cheese always end up black with her. its been 60 years, it wont change. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Nah, grilled cheese always end up black with her. its been 60 years, it wont change. lol
    Maybe it's a metaphor for something about her life.

I would stick with your current job while working on doing what you really want to do, such as going back to school or learning a trade.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Well in my case, I worked at a job I did not like at all. But it paid well and allowed me to have a better retirement. Which I am enjoying immensely. So I stuck it out because I had a goal to reach at the end of the hassle. I once read a article which said 75% of workers are doing a job they do not like. And it is not always about money. I once quit a job which paid well and then took one with a 30% cut in pay because it had much better retirement offers, benefits and security. I enjoyed the higher paying job, but have never regretted quitting it.
    Tbh, I don't want to work with only my retirement on my mind, its so predictable and final:
    -go to school
    -get a job
    -work for your entire life
    -retire (if you're lucky, you'll be able to enjoy it for more then 15 years of being old and energyless)
    -die

But that might be my overly progressive hippy early twenties mindset. I don't want to wake up each morning for the following 40 years and think "time to go to my boring job, gotta pay those bills"

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Tbh, I don't want to work with only my retirement on my mind, its so predictable and final:
    -go to school
    -get a job
    -work for your entire life
    -retire (if you're lucky, you'll be able to enjoy it for more then 15 years of being old and energyless)
    -die

But that might be my overly progressive hippy early twenties mindset. I don't want to wake up each morning for the following 40 years and think "time to go to my boring job, gotta pay those bills"
    It shouldn't be the only thing on your mind and it wasn't for me ether. One reason I quit smoking at age 25. But the truth is retirement should be a part of your long range plans and early steps to prepare for it is important. Because , unless you win big time in the lottery or inherit a fortune, the great majority of us will reach a time when they can no longer do a lot of the things they want to physically and will be ready to retire. Being financially ready for it makes the transfer to retirement a lot less painful.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    I got poisoned by eating a fucking sandwich made by a chimp at work only last week, how can you poison someone with a plain cheese sandwich?
    Maybe your employer shouldn't hire chimpanzees as cooks. They should hire people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Working 40-50 hours a week, getting paid 3k per month. How's that good?
    It is good because I know there are a lot of people who are unemployed looking for any kind of job, and there are a lot of people working their ass off to make minimum wage. Yes, it is not a perfect job, and there are a lot of jobs that would pay more, but I still consider it fairly good at this stage in life.

To everyone else, thanks for the feedback. I think I will stay at my current job (which is the way I was leaning either way).

Also, cooking at home and at work is vastly different, when I did cook in the army I was pretty dam good at it, but at home it is definitely not as good. It has a lot to do with being spoiled in a professional kitchen (a ton of cool gadgets and equipment), compared to at home.

WHAT?! a cook is easy? you not going to sit here and tell us its the hardest job you ever had?! oh man that must just be waiting tables, yeah i forgot that is hard stuff there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crenz View Post
    It is good because I know there are a lot of people who are unemployed looking for any kind of job, and there are a lot of people working their ass off to make minimum wage. Yes, it is not a perfect job, and there are a lot of jobs that would pay more, but I still consider it fairly good at this stage in life.

To everyone else, thanks for the feedback. I think I will stay at my current job (which is the way I was leaning either way).

Also, cooking at home and at work is vastly different, when I did cook in the army I was pretty dam good at it, but at home it is definitely not as good. It has a lot to do with being spoiled in a professional kitchen (a ton of cool gadgets and equipment), compared to at home.
    Sounds like you have a nice gig where you are at right now anyways. You are still young so you have time to take in different experiences. If you are curious still maybe try a few part time jobs every now and again on the weekends or whenever you have off if you want. As long as you maintain your full time job then you don't have to explain why you quit 10 different part time jobs. Maybe not the most effective way of finding what you like but who knows. Sometimes windows of opportunity open when you don't even expect them too. Security sounds pretty laid back anyways so you're right, it's a great time to study and whatnot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampz View Post
    inb4 "flying is a major part of the reason I have fun in wow!"
    Buy a fucking flight sim then

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    WHAT?! a cook is easy? you not going to sit here and tell us its the hardest job you ever had?! oh man that must just be waiting tables, yeah i forgot that is hard stuff there.
    A line cook, or a cook in most restaurants, can be a very demanding and thankless job. You have to cater to each individual, deal with complaints, and are always rushed for time.

A military cook is easy, you have a set job determined at the start of the day, people can not bring back food (unless its something extremely serious, which has never happened when I did it for four years), and you cook in bulk, not individual meals. So its not cooking 20+ items individually off a menu, its cooking 700 chicken quarters for a meal, or making enough mashed potatoes for 700 meals.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crenz View Post
    A line cook, or a cook in most restaurants, can be a very demanding and thankless job. You have to cater to each individual, deal with complaints, and are always rushed for time.

A military cook is easy, you have a set job determined at the start of the day, people can not bring back food (unless its something extremely serious, which has never happened when I did it for four years), and you cook in bulk, not individual meals. So its not cooking 20+ items individually off a menu, its cooking 700 chicken quarters for a meal, or making enough mashed potatoes for 700 meals.
    Even when you find pubes in the mashed potatoes, they just offer you more mash.

1) Yes change job
    2) Yes change job
    3) No don't change job
    4) Yes change job
    5) No don't change job
    6) No don't change job

Roll a D6 and let the fates decide

If you need convincing to take a new job then it's not a job you want, or should, take.

Deleted
    It sounds like you have the perfect job for someone who wants to go back to school. You could start by enrolling part-time or taking online courses, since you could easily do your homework at work.

I know you said you're interested in police work, but I wonder if there aren't more lucrative opportunities in the security business, like working your way up the ladder or eventually running security for a company or estate.