when it comes to swtor vs the real world, which side is democrat and republic?

For example the democrats believe in democracy while the republicans push for a republic setting, since the US republicans are like the galactic republic, does that mean democrats are like the sith empire? cus the empire isn't really a democracy when you think about it :S

also it was confusing in episode 1 phantom menace when the senator guy was like "we are a democracy, the people have decided" - so its like a huge loop whole in the story lol - is that why they say swtor is non cannon? or did the galactic republic turn to democracy between swtor and episode 1?
    Last edited by Tesket; 2014-08-20 at 05:21 PM.

A republic can be a democracy, regardless of the names of the parties in the U.S. The Empire is also just that, an Empire, where the emperor chooses who leads, and all seats of power are chosen from within, with no say on the common people.

Leave the real world shit in the other forums so the morons there can have a bitch fest with each other. There is no need to make real world comparisons with U.S. and swtor. Not trying to be mean but I can see it taking a turn for the worse. Also I find the Sith empire more of a Dictatorship for the most part as one person controls all the marbles and delegates his power out to underlings that delegate their power out to more underlings. If that makes any sense lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesket View Post
    , does that mean democrats are like the sith empire? cus the empire isn't really a democracy when you think about it :S
    I can give you my answer to that but xuros is right and this isn't the best place.

george lucas gave anakin his line "if you are not with me, you are against me" and obi wans answer "only a sith deals in absolutes" as a a clear reference to george w. buchs rhetorics in the irak war. so I think at least george lucas' definitions are clear.

The Republic more or less represents any capitalist democracy, though it seems more like a confederation in some of the source material (planets/sectors have a lot of individual power, the central gov doesn't even have a serious military half the time).

The Sith Empire is basically Iran/Saudi Arabia - a theocracy ruled by the high priest and and a handful of his underlings.

American political parties are a poor fit for anything in Star Wars, the setting isn't really that nuanced most of the time.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    The Sith Empire is basically Iran/Saudi Arabia - a theocracy ruled by the high priest and and a handful of his underlings.
    I would disagree with this. The Sith Empire is closer to feudal, aristocratic society a la medieval Europe. Chains of powerful lords owing personal loyalty (and betrayal) up to the Emperor.

The Republic and the Republic.

The Empire is a theocratic autocracy. Authority is derived from their religion (the Force).
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    The Empire is a theocratic autocracy. Authority is derived from their religion (the Force).
    No. Authority is derived from the fact that a single force user can electrocute you or choke you to death arbitrarily. Raw, individual power. The Emperor rules because his innate power is significantly greater than the other Sith.

In a theocracy, authority derives from the fact that the leaders can convince the "faithful" masses to follow their commands.

That's just a quibble with semantics because religion in a fantasy world has actual, tangible power. Obviously the ayatollahs can't hurl Force lightning.

But the government is still run by the priesthood, which makes it a theocracy (which can also be feudal, aristocratic, and authoritarian at the same time).
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Lucas has already stated that the idea of the Empire was based around the Nazis. It's a pure dictatorship. The Emperor only uses advisers to keep him abreast of things. Anybody who expresses an opinion that is contrary gets dealt with harshly (Episode 4 with Vader choking out Admiral Motti).

The Republic is just that, a Republic made up of different planets.

As for which party aligns with which side, the Empire aligns with neither. It's based around gaining and holding power through terror and force.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tesket View Post
    also it was confusing in episode 1 phantom menace when the senator guy was like "we are a democracy, the people have decided" - so its like a huge loop whole in the story lol - is that why they say swtor is non cannon? or did the galactic republic turn to democracy between swtor and episode 1?
    No. Naboo is a democracy, which is what you are referencing. The Galactic Federation of Planets is a Republic. Similar to the way that the United States works. Each state elects their representatives democratically. But the representatives each represent one vote when voting on laws. In the same way that the President is voted upon democratically in each state, but then each state votes based upon the democratic vote, giving all of their votes to the winner, which is representative of a Republic.

The only thing that even closely relates - at least for me - is that the Senate of the Republic - seems pretty much as effective as the US Congress - ruled and run by special interest groups, never really accomplishing anything!

No clue how this slipped by, but closing this down. Let's keep real world politics out of these forums, it rarely ends anywhere friendly : /