Poll: What do you Hate Most about Mainstream Games Nowadays?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Pretty much everything EA does in a nutshell.

Day 1 DLC

Fixing a game months after it comes out, leaving it broken

Paying 60 dollars for a game thats six hours long and feels rushed.

DRM.

Ign and others Like game informer that give the game a perfect score when its shit or average at best.

Mainstream games like COD and Creed also have 20 sequels now and incoming.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sith View Post
    Pretty much everything EA does in a nutshell.
    did you know EA lets you get a refund for a digital purchase now though? Valve still doesnt have anything like that for steam.

I've no problems with violence in violent games, be it as a Tarantino/sociopath simulator like GTA games or one where you take on more a heroic role.

It does irk me in games like Tomb Raider, particularly the jarring way Lara went from first-kill to Rambo so quickly. I wouldn't call the combat sections purely filler as a lot of the set-pieces seemed quite well though out, I just felt a lot of that thinking could have gone into more exploration/puzzley game-play.

If I can add a couple options that beat anything in the poll

--Unwarranted long release cycles. Many games are really straightforward, and we get annual releases of Battlefield and Call of Duty while waiting years for quality games to come out. On that note

-- Underuse of good IPs. Many of these series could just have old games ported repeatedly, look at Metroid, Mega man side scrollers, even the main Final Fantasy series actually saw yearly or every-other year releases in the 90's, now its up to 3-4 years between main titles, and the games are actually worse.

Linear plot with handholding thrown in with it. Mainly every FPS's campaign mode. One could say the Bioshock games did it too, but at least they did it well with the storytelling added in.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

10+ Year Old Account
    Day one DLC, for sure. Even if I love the game, I don't like that I feel like if I spend ~$80 for a brand new game that I'm not getting the full package.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    DLC and season passes. I will not be buying another EA title over it. I love the Battlefield franchise but BF4 has pissed me off to no end. First I pay $60 for the game then I have to fork out another $60 to get the season pass with all the expansions that should be included in normal game. Then they make it so you have to buy packs to get unlockable upgrades for weapons at $3.50 a pack or you are stuck grinding forever.

Non RPG games are too short.

If I can beat a game in one sitting, it's not a game, it's a demo.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

#1 hate - STEAM.

Used to be I bought a game I didn't like, I could give it to a friend.

5 games - total of 90 minutes played across them all, and they just sit there rotting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not on the list, and I may be playing the wrong games. What I don't like is how long games are these days. Some games took me two weeks to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Not on the list, and I may be playing the wrong games. What I don't like is how long games are these days. Some games took me two weeks to beat.
    The hell..

so you like spending 60 bucks for a game you're done with in a day?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    The hell..

so you like spending 60 bucks for a game you're done with in a day?
    I don't recall saying that. I do recall saying I don't feel like taking 2 weeks to beat a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I don't recall saying that. I do recall saying I don't feel like taking 2 weeks to beat a game.
    Games now are way too short I'm sorry you either aren't very good at the games you are playing but most I have played lately take a few hours max and I feel ripped off when this happens. Like Halo took what 3-4 hours? Not worth the money for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow. I, on the other hand, can't play games I can beat in a week - they are too short for me, I feel like I only started and - bang! - I am watching credits. That said, most games today don't give even that: I remember "trying" Modern Warfare 3 and that "trying" ended up beating the whole game in 11 hours or so - I thought I was only playing a tutorial, and suddenly I saw credits and heard terrible music.

Mass Effect trilogy, on the other hand, usually takes me 160 hours to complete on a completionist run, with all DLCs, side quests, conversations, exploration, etc., and that is something I consider great design. It takes me a month to complete the whole trilogy, and, after I am done, I am full of impressions and can't get my mind out of Mass Effect universe for a couple of weeks, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Wow. I, on the other hand, can't play games I can beat in a week - they are too short for me, I feel like I only started and - bang! - I am watching credits. That said, most games today don't give even that: I remember "trying" Modern Warfare 3 and that "trying" ended up beating the whole game in 11 hours or so - I thought I was only playing a tutorial, and suddenly I saw credits and heard terrible music.

Mass Effect trilogy, on the other hand, usually takes me 160 hours to complete on a completionist run, with all DLCs, side quests, conversations, exploration, etc., and that is something I consider great design. It takes me a month to complete the whole trilogy, and, after I am done, I am full of impressions and can't get my mind out of Mass Effect universe for a couple of weeks, at least.
    I do love my long games. The Witchers are good games well worth the 60 bucks due to the time you can get from em.

Shooters in general are short, which I understand it's hard to make a shooters story compelling for any measurable length of time, I still wish it could be done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why wasn't this a multiple option poll? Like seriously, I would tick 5 of the options that I all hate the most equally. :X

The problem with mainstream games is that sheep (like you guys) keep buying them, providing mega-corporations with more money to make more shitty games.

QTE during cutscenes; Just use gameplay or a cutscene, not a mix of both. 9/10 times I died in Tomb Raider was because I missed a QTE event.

Pre-order; Good for business, bad for consumers. "In return for you money in advance, you'll get some cool outfits."

So many different versions; Collector's Edition, Digital Deluxe, retail exclusives, regional exclusives etc. Of course all of them need some half assed cosmetic stuff to entice people.

Excessive DLC; If they'd offer fair priced mini expansions, it would be fine. Instead games come with more and more overpriced cosmetic items.

Console exclusives; Good for business, bad for consumers.

Excessive cutscenes; Diablo fight in Diablo III takes the crown. It's all skippable, but just so annoying.

Edit:
    (Non-skippable) tutorials; The basics tutorial should always be skippable. I know by now that I can look around by moving the mouse and that WASD moves me around. Tutorials should also be a one-time thing. I hate having to use mods in Skyrim, Oblivion etc just so I can skip having my controls constrained, again.
    Last edited by Delaios; 2014-09-19 at 07:39 AM.

I'm the only one who picked trailers?

Boycotting hurts consumers too.

My 2 biggest pet peeves would be on 3rd party games with exclusive content (PS4 gets extra level, XB1 get dlc sooner, etc) and big IPs being taken for granted. Subpar games end up being made with big IPs like SW, Warhammer, and the devs/publishers figure "well the fans will love it".