Nice. Been wondering this myself every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by everday View Post
    I really dislike sef. It got implemented out of no where because monks were doing bad cleave damage. Now blizzard claim it's an iconic ability. I say it's boring and/or annoying game play. Boring when you are fighting Twin Ogrons and annoying when you are fighting Thogar. Press it once, continue with your life. Or when its quick aoe, pre sef boss, sef one add, target another add, tigerpalm buff sefs, rsk debuff, chi burst, spin spin spin, remove sef on boss. If you are playing with people that know how to aoe you usually never get further than chi burst.

I feel that sef cements a design problem blizzard have with their game. If a class like monk should be a viable dps class, it has to have the same capabilities as a pure dps class like mage and rogue. And clearly we are a good cleave, bad aoe class*. So why take monks when you need aoe? All classes need to be competent at all types of things or we will never have a bring the player not the class raid environment. There can't be rogues that can soak damage forever, there can't be balance druids hitting everything with mega aoe. Raids needs to be punished for bringing too much melee or too much ranged on every single fight. My guild press down the number of melee down to bare minimum on every single fight. They are almost always punished way more than ranged, either with damage taken or downtime on boss.

* we can do good aoe damage, but the delivery is slower than most other classes.
    For SEF, personally, as someone who has learned/been learning WW myself after main switching in WOD from Mage, I love the ability. I felt like WW was all over the place in terms of what I needed to use/watch/react to when I first started learning a few months ago. SEF made it that much easier to pick up on, since it was an easy to use ability. Although as was mentioned I wasn't terribly sure how to do my best DPS with SEF up. Was I supposed to just continue my ST rotation? Was I supposed to build chi only with SCK? I'm still not positive, though I basically continue ST and use anything I can that hits multiple targets as it comes off CD, while spamming SCK in between. Seems to work fine, probably not the optimal usage but i'm still learning, and until someone posts a guide about how to use SEF 100% optimally will continue to do this.

As for "Bring the Player Not the Class"... this is my absolute least favorite thing about the game now. Classes don't really seem to have an 'identity' anymore, other than the color of the spell effect of their ability and its name. Not a fan, but how do you stop people from saying "full on Roge" when they have 0 Rogues in their group, and just don't want one because they are not good for 9/10 encounters in the raid? For me it hasn't mattered because my guild has a strict "Play what you want to play" mentality. We have enough people that are willing to use more than 1 role on their character to fill in when needed that it doesn't effect us for the most part. Although when someone is gone for the night it's usually interesting to see 3 people swap roles to get them filled. IE one of our main healers is taking a break to meet deadlines for work, so a Tank switched to his healing OS and a DPS swapped to their tanking OS. Raid still functions quite well. Moral of the story: play what you want, and find a group of people that doesn't give a shiz.

Anyways, back on topic: I didn't realize that this is how FOF functioned, with regards to its damage, thank you for the info. I thought it was doing 100% to the main target and then 100% divided between the other targets. Meaning it always did 200% dmg on more than 1 target. Seems though that it actually does more dmg the more targets their are but never quite 200%. Also, SEF guide plz!

PS Babylonius, last time I looked at Chi-burst it seemed that the last post had been made in like 2013, is it still a functioning website? If it is getting updated for WOD I will start checking it out more.
    Last edited by Qraziness; 2015-05-04 at 06:47 PM.
    I put on pants, FOR THIS?!?!?!

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qraziness View Post
    Anyways, back on topic: I didn't realize that this is how FOF functioned, with regards to its damage, thank you for the info. I thought it was doing 100% to the main target and then 100% divided between the other targets. Meaning it always did 200% dmg on more than 1 target. Seems though that it actually does more dmg the more targets their are but never quite 200%. Also, SEF guide plz!

PS Babylonius, last time I looked at Chi-burst it seemed that the last post had been made in like 2013, is it still a functioning website? If it is getting updated for WOD I will start checking it out more.
    I spent some time working on a SEF "guide" on my blog last night here: https://walkingthewinds.wordpress.co...of-cx-and-you/

There have been some new posts on Chiburst.com, but its a slow process getting it back to functioning. Its not going to become howtopriest.com or tankspot overnight, the more people who use it and make suggestions in the necessary forums, the faster it will reach the level we all want it to be at.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

Deleted
    Does anyone know if simulationcraft is broken for windwalkers?

I just got a mythic 2h from oregorg and changed my 2x BH hc swords for it. Simcraft tells me that i will lose 50 dps doing that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajmonk View Post
    Does anyone know if simulationcraft is broken for windwalkers?

I just got a mythic 2h from oregorg and changed my 2x BH hc swords for it. Simcraft tells me that i will lose 50 dps doing that..
    Make sure you have the latest version of simcraft, there was a version that broke something for WW but it has since been fixed.

Deleted
    There is something I would like to ask regarding Fists of Fury.
    I think everyone knows (and hates) these situations where a knockback interrupts FoF. Someday I was jumping around while FoFing and got knockbacked, but it wasn't cancelled. I tried that out a few times in BRF (Gruul, large Add outside Blast Furnace, huge Adds when you head to Darmac) and while questing. It looks like FoF won't get interrupted while jumping.
    I don't know if it's known so I decided to post it here, because I didn't read about it anywhere. Does it really work or did I have some sort of unusual ultra-luck?
    Last edited by mmoca8f7f51f2d; 2015-05-05 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loewenherz View Post
    I think everyone knows (and hates) these situations where a knockback interrupts FoF. Someday I was jumping around while FoFing and got knockbacked, but it wasn't cancelled. I tried that out a few times in BRF (Gruul, large Add outside Blast Furnace, huge Adds when you head to Darmac) and while questing. It looks like FoF won't get interrupted while jumping.
    Someone else commented that moving also avoids being interrupted, earlier. So this is consistent with their claims. I cannot personally confirm or deny this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loewenherz View Post
    There is something I would like to ask regarding Fists of Fury.
    I don't know if it's known so I decided to post it here, because I didn't read about it anywhere. Does it really work or did I have some sort of unusual ultra-luck?
    If you're already moving when you get knocked back, then its just like you moved backwards and you continue to channel. I can't speak for if you move a little then stop then get knocked back, but I always make sure to wiggle a little during Oregorger if I think the knockback is coming soon.

Pretty sure you have to be moving as the knockback hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Talimar View Post
    Pretty sure you have to be moving as the knockback hits.
    You do. I tried it on Oregorger this week, and whenever I was moving when the crystal spawned, it kept channeling just fine, but if I stopped moving for just a moment before it spawned or hit a movement key too late(as I was already getting knocked back), the channel got interrupted.

They should really just fix it so external movement doesn't interrupt FoF at all. I mean, that way if you have it glyphed(Butterfly), you could just run back to the target and continue channeling it, while if you get knocked back while channeling without the glyph, chances are you need to move to get back into range anyway, which would interrupt the channel too. So basically I just don't see any benefit to it getting interrupted, because knockbacks would already effectively interrupt it by forcing you to move back into range, while it just causes problems when you have it glyphed.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Ah, hell yes. I had noticed sometimes FoF wasn't interrupted by knockbacks, now I know why. Just have to dance while its channeling! I love you guys, you make my class feel so much cooler.
    I put on pants, FOR THIS?!?!?!

Strangely enough, I have had little luck dancing in Heroic and below, but it seems to work in Mythic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakie View Post
    Strangely enough, I have had little luck dancing in Heroic and below, but it seems to work in Mythic.
    There isn't anything about non-mythic that would change this, just weren't moving at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    You do. I tried it on Oregorger this week, and whenever I was moving when the crystal spawned, it kept channeling just fine, but if I stopped moving for just a moment before it spawned or hit a movement key too late(as I was already getting knocked back), the channel got interrupted.

They should really just fix it so external movement doesn't interrupt FoF at all. I mean, that way if you have it glyphed(Butterfly), you could just run back to the target and continue channeling it, while if you get knocked back while channeling without the glyph, chances are you need to move to get back into range anyway, which would interrupt the channel too. So basically I just don't see any benefit to it getting interrupted, because knockbacks would already effectively interrupt it by forcing you to move back into range, while it just causes problems when you have it glyphed.
    Someone likely posted this, but this is an unfortunate bug with the type of glyphs that allow you to move while casting certain spells. I think there's a similar... warrior?... glyph that has the same interaction.

Also, we are going to be pretty okay in HFC. Opinion here, but the fights I've tested so far - so much cleave. Not happy with our new "RoRO", but even without it I seemed to do fine. And that's with no UI so my uptime on everything was completely awful.

Once we figure out the BiS TMog, I think we should be okay. There's even a fight where, at least on normal/heroic, you tank them apart. Take that, fire mages!

Quote Originally Posted by Callimonk View Post
    Opinion here, but the fights I've tested so far - so much cleave.
    Streaming any of the testing?

This drives me crazy

What's the safe spot on Tigereye for your AOE rotation? Do you just hold off until you're around like 4-5? Do you do some different order?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranguto View Post
    This drives me crazy

What's the safe spot on Tigereye for your AOE rotation? Do you just hold off until you're around like 4-5? Do you do some different order?
    What do you mean safe spot?

Use TEB during cleave the same as single target, any time you have procs or can fit FoF into the 15s buff. You should also pop it if there's a period of increased damage or increased number of targets in range, such as Mythic Maidens when Sorka is in range as opposed to running away for tornadoes.

15+ Year Old Account
    To add to that comment, If I know I need to help burst down a large set of adds (such as the adds that appear on Thogar or the hands on Kromog) I hold onto my TeB stacks until they appear, pop 10 stacks of TeB and spinning crane kick them to death.

I just rescued my old lvl 90 monk from ages ago and I've been reading some guides on windwalker. There are 4 things that keep bugging me though. Would appreciate if anyone could help me out.

1: If my fists of fury is off cd but my TEB is not on 10 stacks yet, what should I do? Say my TEB is at 7 stacks. Should I wait on fists of fury so that I use it when I hit 10 on TEB? Should I pop TEB at 7 so I can use fists of fury asap with the buff even if not from 10 stacks? Should I use fists of fury without TEB?

2: Is it worth to use storm earth and fire on trash mobs that won't last long? Think 5 man dungeons trash pack. They aren't completely deleted but they don't last long either.

3: On what kind of situations should I use TEB with lower stacks than 10? Or should I never ever do that?

4: Should I do any kind of preparation when I know my TEB is reaching 10 soon? For instance, trying to accumulate chi so that when I pop TEB I'm at full chi ready to spend. Is it wise to do such things or should I not bother?

No need to wait for 10 stacks, just line TEB up with things like FoF, serenity, procs when you have resources to put out damage during it, or just save for times where your raid needs burst on priority targets. There's a WA string around here somewhere that helps with using it in combination with procs and FoF coming off CD.

Important thing to get used to compared to last expac is pooling energy/chi for procs since our resource generation is fairly slow even with good gear.