Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire Larsadius Rex's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Biggest forum pet peeve?

A forum is essentially an on-line community where every member is anonymous. In normal communities, pet peeves can be met with face-to-face and fixed, but on the internet, you will be subjected to seeing the same person (or type of person) constantly do something that makes your teeth grind, and theres *nothing* you can do about it. What's yours? What's your forum pet peeve? Doesn't have to be about gaming

Mine is when people judge and analyze things they know nothing about. This happens a lot when discussing current events, but where I see it most is in discussions about music. A lot of people claim their opinion on music to be the right one, and don't take no for an answer. Having opinions about what type of music you prefer is ok, but when you start stating that someone else's choice in music is terrible, or their favorite band "sucks", when you yourself don't have the first clue on what basic music theory is, that just sends shivers up my spine.
    -----------------------------------------------
    “It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end… because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing… this shadow. Even darkness must pass.”

People are reluctant to post when the post count is 38 cause they know no one will read the fortieth post so you wait around until some posts and theirs a new page.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    People are reluctant to post when the post count is 38 cause they know no one will read the fortieth post so you wait around until some posts and theirs a new page.
    Haha oh I know that feeling xD
    “It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end… because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing… this shadow. Even darkness must pass.”

People with big signatures with their characters in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    People with really stupid looking avatars that post a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Don't we get this thread every month ro so and every month it gets locked because people just use it to thinly veil attacks against other posters:

e.g. My pet peeve is when the topic gets twisted into being about Swedish immigration despite it having nothing to do with Sweden or imigration at the get-go.

Naming no names ofc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    People using "yourlogicalfalacies" as a discussion go-to-guide because they lack the actual intellect to converse with others in a normal manner.

"Appeal to emotion!! Your argument is invalid! ad hominem!!!!! AD HOMINEM!"

It annoys me beyond comprehension. So bad in fact that I have to get out of my chair, walk to the window and stare into nothing for 5 minutes just to recuperate.

The generally poor post formatting and inability to understand nuance in replying to fluid conversation-by-post is somewhat irritating to me. In particular because I take forum posting quite seriously as a new communication form and have a keen interest in the linguistic culture of new communication outlets.

Quoting an entire post to reply to one segment or with just a single sentence or two is probably the poorest use and greatest display of posting ignorance. It's part of MMO-C guidelines actually to not use the quote button as a reply button. But few moderators enforce modern online post formatting within these guidelines if at all.

The inability to properly discern in-line posting, in-thread posting and direct reply is more cumbersome than irksome. Though the mistake is often rooted in a lack of rigor for new communication.

Generally poor English on a English only forum is sloppy, sometimes confusing, but it can be worked around if you wish to take the time to explain yourself a little. Which is fine, honestly.

Just not knowing how to post is what grinds my gears. Haha.

Deleted
    People who start forum threads for every little question that pops into their noodle, no matter how idiotic

Deleted
    The little grudges people hold. Seems like people will argue anything someone says if they don't like the person who posted it, and agree with anything someone says if they like the person who said it.

Deleted
    Team Putin pisses me off. Always the same 3 or 4 guys (I can name each and every one of them but that would be flaming) who slither into every thread about US, Russia or just global politics and start justifying each and every shady action Russia ever took and defend Putin as if he's God's gift to Humanity, with more or less logical arguments and when they have no arguments whatsoever they resort to saying "No u" and "The Simps...America did it!".

I'm not even american and they piss me off.

People who obviously hate WOW, and no longer have an account but post here in every thread that "Blizzard ruined the game and it's going to die!" every week for years.

15+ Year Old Account
    i´m very balanced and frankly don´t give enough fucks to let the people posting here get under my skin

yep
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    i miss Jayburner

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by markus0i View Post
    People who obviously hate WOW, and no longer have an account but post here in every thread that "Blizzard ruined the game and it's going to die!" every week for years.
    Oh lawdy amen

@Bantokar: That's what a forum is for

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    ... In particular because I take forum posting quite seriously as a new communication form and have a keen interest in the linguistic culture of new communication outlets. ....
    Oh you poor, poor lady.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killyo View Post
    People using "yourlogicalfalacies" as a discussion go-to-guide because they lack the actual intellect to converse with others in a normal manner.

"Appeal to emotion!! Your argument is invalid! ad hominem!!!!! AD HOMINEM!"

It annoys me beyond comprehension. So bad in fact that I have to get out of my chair, walk to the window and stare into nothing for 5 minutes just to recuperate.
    Absolutely this. I'm all for logic and reason, but either ignore a post or respond to the content. Responding to grammar or pretending the opinion is invalid because the post contains a fallacy is just incredibly annoying.
    Last edited by Revi; 2014-10-22 at 01:53 PM.

Nothing really does, I have the 3 or 4 people that are obvious trolls, and post a lot, on my "ignore" list, so there goes the one thing that could get under my skin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Certain troll posters who post threads regarding the most random bullshit and get heaps of attention simply because they already have this status of being a famous, trolly bullshit poster. People know who I'm talking about. I tried putting one of them on ignore, but unfortunately that does not prevent me from seeing their stupid threads posted.

Deleted
    Any thread regarding gender issues.