Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Need help on new pc

Hello guy's,

I need your help. A week ago I decided to buy a new pc. So i searched on forums and websites to get the best possible components in order to let it build for me.

Specs:

CPU

Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler

Board

ASRock Z97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory

Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage

Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Seagate Barracuda ES.2 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card

Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card

Power Supply

SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Case:
    Bitfenix Pandora

Dimension of the case:
    DIMENSIONS: 160(W) x 420(H) x 465(D)

Compatibility: CPU Cooler: 134 mm

GPU: 350 mm

PSU: 180 mm

link http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ynx8xr

Monitor
    Asus MX239H

- - - Updated - - -

So my first question is will everything fit with a matx case.
    Secondly what's the different between:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-...board-h97mpro4

And
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asro...97manniversary

- - - Updated - - -

Any recommendations on the specs?
    Last edited by mmoc63e0538ce4; 2014-10-29 at 10:05 AM.

Deleted
    First, let's start with the obvious.

1.Do you plan on overclocking anything ? You have a OC ready motherboard (Price premium) and a non-OC cpu
    2.Instead of 1x8gb of ram , get 2x4gb kit , if you plan to have 1x8gb and add another one soon , it's all good. Dual Channel Memory is simply faster
    3.The SSD you selected is sub-par. Right now the best value for your money is a Samsung 840 Evo 250 Gb,they are cheap and some of the fastest consumer grade ones.
    4.The Bitfenix Pandora is a good looking case, a fingerprint magnet, it gets stained ( so only touch it with gloves ) , and it has limited cable management. Everything you've selected should fit in it.

Lastly , the difference between a H97 and Z97 is the chipset. The Z series are higher specced, can overlock a Intel K-series Cpu, more usb 3 ports and more features on short. If you don't plan on getting a K cpu, there is little to no point on paying the extra money for a Z97, unless you need some of its features.

That's all i can think of about on this silly grey day.

Deleted
    - i'd reckon get the i5 4690k with an h60-h80i cooler to overclock if you wanna stick with this case.

- As the poster above said, you want to get 2x 4gb DDR3 sticks (1600Mhz is good 1866 to 2133 is preferable).

- The ssd you picked is fine, don't listen to the above. On the contrary it seems the samsung's got some problem lately, i am sure it will be fixed with a firmware but just saying. Unless its less than 15euro/bucks difference stay withthe MX100.

- Seasonic makes good psu's along is not one of those low 300-400w ones. It would be usefull to get a semi or fully modular psu with a case like this.

- I have no experience with the case, looks very good would be nice if it has decent room at the back for cable management (seems very slim).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    - i'd reckon get the i5 4690k with an h60-h80i cooler to overclock if you wanna stick with this case.

- As the poster above said, you want to get 2x 4gb DDR3 sticks (1600Mhz is good 1866 to 2133 is preferable).

- The ssd you picked is fine, don't listen to the above. On the contrary it seems the samsung's got some problem lately, i am sure it will be fixed with a firmware but just saying. Unless its less than 15euro/bucks difference stay withthe MX100.

- Seasonic makes good psu's along is not one of those low 300-400w ones. It would be usefull to get a semi or fully modular psu with a case like this.

- I have no experience with the case, looks very good would be nice if it has decent room at the back for cable management (seems very slim).
    So this would be fine aswell?
    Intel i5-4460
    ASRock H97M
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asro...97manniversary

- - - Updated - - -

Bump anyone?
    Last edited by mmoc63e0538ce4; 2014-10-29 at 06:32 PM.

Deleted
    You don't need to bump, you will get answers if and when ppl can help you out.

Personally i wouldn't recon the i5 4460, its not worth to me, up to you. Pairing a gtx970 with a i5 4460 is a non go.

Deleted
    If you're asking for this kind of advice, then you probably shouldn't be overclocking. So stick with the original CPU and lose the 3rd party cooler. Intel stock coolers are more than capable of keeping their CPU's at a reasonable temperature, especially at factory clock. You're just throwing money away spending money on a 3rd party one.

And as others have said, go for 2x4GB sticks instead of 1x8GB. There will be a noticeable performance dip if you don't run dual channel. and the slight extra cost should be offset by losing the unnecessary cooler.

Oh, and the Crucial MX100 is absolutely fine for gaming/home use. You seriously wouldn't notice any performance gain going for a faster model. It's one of these "omg but the benchmark says..." things.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally i wouldn't recon the i5 4460, its not worth to me, up to you. Pairing a gtx970 with a i5 4460 is a non go.
    Care to explain why?
    Last edited by mmoc290cb72e4b; 2014-10-30 at 11:51 AM.

Deleted
    You should make sure the GTX 970 fits in the case. I personally ordered the ASUS GTX 970 and a Corsair Air 240 (which has a little less CPU cooler clearance/depth = 128mm) but the side panel no longer fit on the case with the GPU in there.

So make sure the case has enough room to house the 140mm wide gpu.

Deleted
    You don't need to bump, you will get answers if and when ppl can help you out.

You don't need to come here and even answer in this topic if you don't want to. The door is that way -->> if you don't like it. Also the difference between the I5 4460 and I5 4590 is marginal, according Tomshardware so why would i pay more if you don't notice it at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aedain View Post
    You should make sure the GTX 970 fits in the case. I personally ordered the ASUS GTX 970 and a Corsair Air 240 (which has a little less CPU cooler clearance/depth = 128mm) but the side panel no longer fit on the case with the GPU in there.

So make sure the case has enough room to house the 140mm wide gpu.
    True but the width of the case is 160mm. Shouldn't that been enough?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    If you're asking for this kind of advice, then you probably shouldn't be overclocking. So stick with the original CPU and lose the 3rd party cooler. Intel stock coolers are more than capable of keeping their CPU's at a reasonable temperature, especially at factory clock. You're just throwing money away spending money on a 3rd party one.

And as others have said, go for 2x4GB sticks instead of 1x8GB. There will be a noticeable performance dip if you don't run dual channel. and the slight extra cost should be offset by losing the unnecessary cooler.

Oh, and the Crucial MX100 is absolutely fine for gaming/home use. You seriously wouldn't notice any performance gain going for a faster model. It's one of these "omg but the benchmark says..." things.
    I'm not going, just trying to pickup the right components before buying it. This is the current setup. So you say remove the external cooler and then the setup is fine?
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Z3TXhM
    Last edited by mmoc63e0538ce4; 2014-10-30 at 12:35 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Achillias View Post
    You don't need to come here and even answer in this topic if you don't want to. The door is that way -->> if you don't like it. Also the difference between the I5 4460 and I5 4590 is marginal, according Tomshardware so why would i pay more if you don't notice it at all.
    I don't understand why people come to this forum asking for help and then giving such attitudes. That attitude isn't tolerated by anyone on this forum and isn't deserved by the people assisting you with problems you clearly don't have the confidence in doing optimally yourself. Kost willingly gave you advice (and good advice at that) from the start and he's right, there is no reason to bump a thread when it was still on the top page. You just need to learn to be more patient and stop being so damn rude to the people helping you. "bump anyone?" comes off as you being a huge impatient dick.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    I don't understand why people come to this forum asking for help and then giving such attitudes. That attitude isn't tolerated by anyone on this forum and isn't deserved by the people assisting you with problems you clearly don't have the confidence in doing optimally yourself. Kost willingly gave you advice (and good advice at that) from the start and he's right, there is no reason to bump a thread when it was still on the top page. You just need to learn to be more patient and stop being so damn rude to the people helping you. "bump anyone?" comes off as you being a huge impatient dick.
    The only dick on here are you, you bonehead. No cursing or offending language has been used. Till your delusional post. You seems to have mental issues. If you have comprehensive reading or interpretation problems find help. Also bumping a thread after 24 hours is not against the rules. So keep crying and use a baby teat,you idiot.

Infracted - Insulting people is unnecessary. Bumping threads is not allowed, per the forum rules. While I understand if someone needs attention on an issue if it is pushed down below viewing range, this was still on first page, as others pointed out. Please be civil when trying to get help.

Do not remove mod edits.
    Last edited by chazus; 2014-10-30 at 02:49 PM.

Deleted
    True but the width of the case is 160mm. Shouldn't that been enough?
    I saw the case width is 160mm, assuming that's the outside dimensions this means that it's gonna be extremely tight. I can't confirm that it will or will not fit, just something you should be aware of. Judging from reviews on youtube it doesn't have a whole lot of cable management behind the motherboard tray, so if you add a few mm for that + thickness of the motherboard tray + the motherboard standoffs and the actual motherboard, you might just be ok. However, it does mean all of that can be max 2cm, which isn't a whole lot.

Edit: seems some reviews state you can add a 980, not sure if that's reference card or something with heatpipes sticking out left and right like the asus.

everyone mentioned the k series chip and your spending extra on OC motherboard....insulting someone that has 2000 posts in trying to help others?....lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skitszo View Post
    everyone mentioned the k series chip and your spending extra on OC motherboard....insulting someone that has 2000 posts in trying to help others?....lol
    Did you actually read the topic properly, i suppose not. Here in case you can't find it http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Z3TXhM So where is the k proccesor. Or are you trying to get the same amount posts.
    Last edited by mmoc63e0538ce4; 2014-10-30 at 06:13 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did you actually read the topic properly, i suppose not. Here in case you can't find it http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Z3TXhM So where is the k proccesor. Or are you trying to get the same amount posts.
    oh my god...worse attitude I have ever seen on these forums. For the sake of making you look like more of an ass, I'm going to explain something to you and then I sincerely hope you receive no further help from anyone. We're fully aware of your subpar build that you put together. That's why you're here asking US for help. You came to US. You are also the one who seems to not be able to read since you didn't read Kost's post helping you.

You have a locked CPU with a motherboard intended for overclocking which means you have 3 options. Waste your money on the motherboard, save you're money by getting a cheaper motherboard, or upgrade to the 4690k which can be further overclocked when you take the time to learn how. Kost kindly recommended the third option since it's not much more money to have an option to increase performance later because we typically recommend that kind of option unless the OP is dead set on not overclocking EVER...of course just before you decided to insult him after you broke the rules and bumped the thread WHILE it was still on the first page.

We help countless of amount of people coming here who seek help on getting the most for their money. All the way from the part ordering process to any problems or questions they may have about the build process itself. I don't know where you came from, but that type of attitude isn't tolerated here. We do this with our free time at no charge because we care enough to help people get the most for their dollar.

I'm sorry that people cared enough to try and not have you waste your money.

Infracted - Please don't incite the issue further by throwing insults.
    Last edited by chazus; 2014-10-30 at 08:36 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    oh my god...worse attitude I have ever seen on these forums. For the sake of making you look like more of an ass, I'm going to explain something to you and then I sincerely hope you receive no further help from anyone. We're fully aware of your subpar build that you put together. That's why you're here asking US for help. You came to US. You are also the one who seems to not be able to read since you didn't read Kost's post helping you.

You have a locked CPU with a motherboard intended for overclocking which means you have 3 options. Waste your money on the motherboard, save you're money by getting a cheaper motherboard, or upgrade to the 4690k which can be further overclocked when you take the time to learn how. Kost kindly recommended the third option since it's not much more money to have an option to increase performance later because we typically recommend that kind of option unless the OP is dead set on not overclocking EVER...of course just before you decided to insult him after you broke the rules and bumped the thread WHILE it was still on the first page.

We help countless of amount of people coming here who seek help on getting the most for their money. All the way from the part ordering process to any problems or questions they may have about the build process itself. I don't know where you came from, but that type of attitude isn't tolerated here. We do this with our free time at no charge because we care enough to help people get the most for their dollar.

I'm sorry that people cared enough to try and not have you waste your money.
    Listen bonehead, the only one with a terrible attitude are you. You might don't see it because of your lack of brain cells but you are the one who came here with a big mouth and a shit behaviour. Nobody in this thread was actually insulting or misbehaving except for you. I wonder how that moderator actually missed that point. Secondly you don't own this forum neither can you speak for someone else. You are not able to read or think properly.

The motherboard which you are mentioning was already replaced before you even came to this topic. You probably missed the subject comprensive reading on the primary school. You should take the time to learn how to do that, but you probably never will. You lack any kind of sense or cells to be able to do that.

Also how hard is it actually for you to understand that you are not forced to double your posts in every thread on this forum. You act like a jackass, which you probably are.

Infracted - Insults and further provocation are not tolerated. Be civil, stop focusing on people, and focus on the topic.
    Last edited by chazus; 2014-10-30 at 08:37 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thread Warning

In addition to the infractions, I'm going to go ahead and throw a thread warning in here. Let's stop with the petty insults to each other and just focus on helping and informing. It's perfectly possible to inform someone without insulting them.

In the words of some well-known philosophers: Be excellent to each other.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wooo, I just have to chime in. Lol

Kost was correct in saying that buying a Z97 mobo is pointless if your not going to buy a K series cpu, as the Z97 is made for overclocking. So if you are going for a non overclock you could save money by buying a cheaper motherboard like a H97, etc. He merely suggested buy a K series chip so that if you decided to take a OC plunge it would be there to do so. Why you came back with the i5-4460 though I can only assume you just dont know or understand the differences.

Point is, the system you specced out is fine, minus the use of a Z97 motherboard unless you plan on buying a K series later. SSDs? We all have our choice, I personally use the MX100 and the Samsungs, I cant tell a difference unless I bench them so either will be fine, the MX100 is a good one and very affordable. As far as the Video Card, it most likely will fit, there is a small chance, only because its so close that it might not.

Arbiter and Kost always give some good solid advise, and I think everyone has a bad day, I know I do. Kostatto goes out of his way to price parts and has patience to help others and I think he was merely trying to point out that your post was on the front page still, bumping it was pointless, maybe he could of said it a different way, thats the bad thing about the internet, you cant see our facial expressions and sometimes things are taken the wrong way, happens to me all the time.

@skitszo, forum posts do not make you a genius at giving out sound advice on forums, just because someone doesn't have a volume of posts doesn't mean they cant drop in some good advice.

Now lets all be friends again and Achillias, forget about the negative parts of this topic, Arbiter and Kost are both very qualified at giving out some good advice on PC builds and I think they did if you look at it in a positive way.

I'm not sure why your saying that moremana... shrug. I'm not here to inflate my forum posts....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skitszo View Post
    I'm not sure why your saying that moremana... shrug. I'm not here to inflate my forum posts....
    I don't think I said you were. Maybe I am misreading what you said here ...
    What does his post count have to do with it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Wooo, I just have to chime in. Lol

Kost was correct in saying that buying a Z97 mobo is pointless if your not going to buy a K series cpu, as the Z97 is made for overclocking. So if you are going for a non overclock you could save money by buying a cheaper motherboard like a H97, etc. He merely suggested buy a K series chip so that if you decided to take a OC plunge it would be there to do so. Why you came back with the i5-4460 though I can only assume you just dont know or understand the differences.
    I do know the difference. Otherwise i wouldn't mention the H97M board because of the I5 4460 choice. And also the reason for choosing I5 4460 instead of the 4590 is first of all based on money and the performance difference between those 2 chips. And that's marginal, in daily use, so no point to get it.

Arbiter always give some good solid advise
    Don't agree on that.

Anyway http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RMbnNG going to order this next week.