Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

WoD Start; Alts - how many is enough?

Heyya people

I've been pondering about this for a few months now. Wondering how many alts (and garrisons to come with them) should I bother with at the start of the expansion. I am by no means, looking to get burnt out too soon, so how many alts should be enough to make some cash, you reckon?

Deleted
    The more the better since daily cooldowns.

so i need more than 52?

Deleted
    What you need is proportional to how much gold you want to be making.

Don't need alts to make some gold.

This is actually a tough decision. The biggest problem you're going to run into is if you have too many alts you could run out of resources for work orders. I'm going to get my main to 100 fairly quick and then 4 alts to 96 in a moderate amount of time. Giving me skinning, 2 enchanting, 2 tailors, 2 alch, Blacksmith. As Jabu said it's all about getting to those cooldowns. They're huge. And things like enchants, flasks, food, etc can take some time to make. Gear especially! lol

Quote Originally Posted by chewie49 View Post
    so i need more than 52?
    Definitely not unless you plan on gold capping several times over + will be shuffling around gold between several accounts.

Deleted
    im the kind of guy that will see a nice looking hunter with great transmog in shrine then i log out make a hunter then level it to 90 and never play it again, 14 alts later it still happens.

7+ Year Old Account
    Seeing as garrison stuff is account wide like level 3 plans and gathering work orders i'd say it's worth it to have a total of 7 or more toons one can be your mats gather even if not main and even lumber toon to unlock plans etc so yeah the stradigy going in if you like one of each roles: dps/tank/healer i suggest go test run on the PTR.
    My main melee will most likely be my death knight my caster of course seeing as the class is fun warlock healer I haven't decided yet rather priest or druid regardless remember it's a fun game play it all and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by laumex View Post
    im the kind of guy that will see a nice looking hunter with great transmog in shrine then i log out make a hunter then level it to 90 and never play it again, 14 alts later it still happens.
    I think you're my long lost twin.

Quote Originally Posted by VKP View Post
    Heyya people

I've been pondering about this for a few months now. Wondering how many alts (and garrisons to come with them) should I bother with at the start of the expansion. I am by no means, looking to get burnt out too soon, so how many alts should be enough to make some cash, you reckon?
    To get all buildings and all achievements without rebuilding anything, you need 4, I think.

If you are after an alt army to invade the AH, there's no limit, but I'd note that every alt is going to eat significant time just in daily maintenance, even if we ignore time required to level to 100.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    To get all buildings and all achievements without rebuilding anything, you need 4, I think.

If you are after an alt army to invade the AH, there's no limit, but I'd note that every alt is going to eat significant time just in daily maintenance, even if we ignore time required to level to 100.
    Yeah, that's what I am wondering about exactly - how much time does 1 char with garrison daily chores usually take? With my part-time job and a rather demanding wife - I don't think I'll be able ti play excessively.

Also another question while we're at it. is it better to level main to 100 or should I like level 4 alts to 92 or smth just for the sake of daily cds at the garrison? (I have no raiding plans whatsoever)

Quite a bit of time actually. If you ignore missions, gearing all together, garrison missions, etc. and only focusing on professions you could cut your time down a lot. But, you're still going to need resources of various kinds to get any real kind of production going which either requires times spent in the world or the AH.

Quote Originally Posted by VKP View Post
    Also another question while we're at it. is it better to level main to 100 or should I like level 4 alts to 92 or smth just for the sake of daily cds at the garrison? (I have no raiding plans whatsoever)
    To 96 at least. It's either 90, or 96, or 100, 92 is a bad point to stop.

I think it might be best to just spend the first week of the expansion simply leveling your main to 100 and looking at how things are, without worrying about alts at all - then decide what exactly to do on alts. Daily CDs are fast, yes, but they require mats, and you likely won't be able to get the required amount from garrison garden / mine (plus harvesting garden / mine also takes time, and even 3-4 min per char per day does add up really fast, and you'd have to queue orders too). Plus there's also kind of an issue with followers - if you don't have followers supporting your profession buildings, you are getting basically half of the output from your professions (OK, maybe 60%) - and getting the right followers and then leveling them up requires non-negligible time as well, and missions require garrison resources, and that's again on each alt. So, again, I suggest you take the first week of the expansion lightly, forget about alts and just do things on your main. It's all too easy to overinvest into alts only to see that they are eating all your playtime while all the gold that they generate basically goes back into their garrisons, which aren't fully upgraded yet.

Quote Originally Posted by laumex View Post
    on multiply races...
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    To 96 at least. It's either 90, or 96, or 100, 92 is a bad point to stop.
    Agreed. 96 for the herb garden, 100 for lv 3 garrison and such.

Plus there's also kind of an issue with followers - if you don't have followers supporting your profession buildings, you are getting basically half of the output from your professions (OK, maybe 60%) - and getting the right followers and then leveling them up requires non-negligible time as well, and missions require garrison resources, and that's again on each alt.
    There's a garrison resource (GR) cache that seems to refill over time (on the Beta) that tops out at 500 GR. If you're really concerned about followers, the Inn provides a way to recruit (1/week) specific traits or abilities once you level it to lv 2. Those two combined should provide initial boost to followers. Later you'll also want the Dwarven Bunker (or Horde equivalent) so that you can upgrade lv 100 followers with better weapons/armor (which is needed for lv 100 follower missions).
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does anyone have the link to a guide for this? Would be extremely helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanesca View Post
    Does anyone have the link to a guide for this? Would be extremely helpful.
    Here is a good thread that i have been following.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-your-Garrison

He is maintaining a great guide. Also read through the comments from other people who have been on beta and their experiences. For alts the biggest race it appears is getting your Barn to level 3 for Savage Blood for crafting. However, they have added some other means of getting it. It also can be traded so it will be a hot commodity on the AH i'm guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by steve1234567890 View Post
    Here is a good thread that i have been following.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-your-Garrison

He is maintaining a great guide. Also read through the comments from other people who have been on beta and their experiences. For alts the biggest race it appears is getting your Barn to level 3 for Savage Blood for crafting. However, they have added some other means of getting it. It also can be traded so it will be a hot commodity on the AH i'm guessing.

From this topic, i asked aswell how long it takes and the answer was:

"-At 100, to start all missions and to gather herbs / ore and work orders takes 20mins. Afterwords to simply log every once in a while over the day to finish and start new missions takes 5mins"
    Quote Originally Posted by Misume View Post
    The day the Mythic Progression Thread isn't 95% trolling is the day Prime comes back to power.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    How anyone has time for more than 2 characters is beyond me. Must be real nice living with no/very little responsibilities ^^