Criticize My Log - How Can I Improve?

Is this the right place to post this, or would it get more attention somewhere else?

I'm doing my best before WoD hits to get the rust out. Coming back to the game just now, and planning on doing some serious raiding. Want to be in top shape.

The log (weird link because I can't post links until after a few posts..sorry):
    www warcraftlogs com/reports/WxwGHdK9zvR2gJ6j

Am I doing anything wrong? Should I be casting something more often? Not timing trinket with abilities well? Have at it.

You can see I'm wasting about 15% chi, and I've been trying to work on that. I've compared myself to a few other monks at my skill level and I see quite a few that waste about 10%, give or take a little. I'm not sure how to approximate the DPS loss on this. I feel like I have pretty good uptime on my Tiger Palm/RSK. Looking forward to some feedback.

Thanks.

Link to your logs: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/WxwGHdK9zvR2gJ6j

15 casts of Tiger Palm. Only needed 12 to keep up buff. If you get a CB proc and have nothing else to do for a GCD, using the extra TP is better than nothing. Otherwise, you could have done something more constructive for a few GCDs.

You let Tiger Power drop off a few times during the fight. With the number of casts of TP you had, you should have had 98% or more uptime.

21 RSKs. Could have used 27.

You had 9 uses of FoF. That puts your usage of FoF at once every 24 seconds. I'm not sure what the CD on FoF is with your version of AoC, but I have a feeling you missed a cast or two.

16% wasted chi. You should strive for single-digits percent of chi waste on IJ.
    You didn't waste much energy from energy capping, which is good. Just keep in mind that wasted chi is essentially the same thing as wasted energy and vice versa.

Your TeB usage is poor. http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...4false%2432182
    Your first three TeB usages weren't lined up with any trinkets or FoF casts. Your fourth use was perfect. The last two uses were with BL, so they were fine.
    It's a good idea to use TeB at the start of the fight, right before you use your first FoF, while all your trinkets and whatnot are up. So, working on your opener would be a good place for improvement.

In total, you're doing fairly well. Tightening up your rotation, improving your opener, and working on TeB usage are the big things you need to concentrate on. The thing holding you back the most right now is your gear. You should strive to get your 2pc T16 bonus, and that PvP trinket hurts my brain.

On a side note: Healing Elixirs isn't all that great. You could have taken Diffuse Magic to mitigate a Shock Pulse, which would be far superior to the 52k healing that your Healing Elixirs did over the course of the whole fight.
    Last edited by Jocias; 2014-11-04 at 04:05 PM.

Thank you, what a great analysis. Exactly what I was looking for. It's extremely helpful to get feedback like this.
    I've always wondered about casting Tiger Palm just because CB is up while I have Blackout Kick available. Can see how inefficient that is now. I do miss RSKs sometimes. The wasted chi is something I'm really trying to improve on/watch myself, I've considered taking Ascension but Chi Brew is just better. I feel like if I can stop wasting Chi, it'll just make it easier on the rest of my rotation..

For TeB, well TeB was a mess honestly. It was that entire run of SoO it didn't work right. I honestly think something was bugged, because I had used my Chi Brew to stack to 10 before the boss(es), and when I entered combat it mysteriously vanished. Frustrated the hell out of me, because I was doing my best to do stuff like that specifically for the logs. Regardless, you're right, and I do neglect it at times anyway so gotta improve there for sure..

I'll make sure to remember Diffuse Magic, have hardly used it. Nice to hear "the thing holding you back most right now is your gear". That's a very fixable problem, heh. Shows you how little I've actually bothered to raid this expansion! The PvP trinket makes my brain hurt as well, more infuriating is how Siegecrafter and Shamans just. won't. drop. the. damn. trinket. So much gold!

Here's something I've always wondered and would really help to be clear on...
    About 15sec into any given fight (maybe a little more), I'll have a situation like this:

Just used Jab and got 2 Chi, out of energy so I can't jab again, Chi Wave/Energizing Brew/Chi Brew on CD, FoF just came off CD or is about to (17.9 sec CD with my AoC), and RSK is about to come off CD. Jab won't be up in time for me to get the chi needed to cast FoF without allowing some of what I feel is fairly serious dead time where I could've cast RSK. I've always thought FoF as being the better option here, as long as the RSK debuff won't fall off. Yet this means delaying my RSK, which I feel causes me to miss 2-3 RSKs because this'll happen a few times per fight.

Am I doing something wrong to the point where it just shouldn't go like that? Or when I hit that point, what's the best option - FoF or RSK then FoF when I have the chi?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by owlie View Post
    Thank you, what a great analysis. Exactly what I was looking for. It's extremely helpful to get feedback like this.
    I've always wondered about casting Tiger Palm just because CB is up while I have Blackout Kick available. Can see how inefficient that is now. I do miss RSKs sometimes. The wasted chi is something I'm really trying to improve on/watch myself, I've considered taking Ascension but Chi Brew is just better. I feel like if I can stop wasting Chi, it'll just make it easier on the rest of my rotation..

For TeB, well TeB was a mess honestly. It was that entire run of SoO it didn't work right. I honestly think something was bugged, because I had used my Chi Brew to stack to 10 before the boss(es), and when I entered combat it mysteriously vanished. Frustrated the hell out of me, because I was doing my best to do stuff like that specifically for the logs. Regardless, you're right, and I do neglect it at times anyway so gotta improve there for sure..

I'll make sure to remember Diffuse Magic, have hardly used it. Nice to hear "the thing holding you back most right now is your gear". That's a very fixable problem, heh. Shows you how little I've actually bothered to raid this expansion! The PvP trinket makes my brain hurt as well, more infuriating is how Siegecrafter and Shamans just. won't. drop. the. damn. trinket. So much gold!

Here's something I've always wondered and would really help to be clear on...
    About 15sec into any given fight (maybe a little more), I'll have a situation like this:

Just used Jab and got 2 Chi, out of energy so I can't jab again, Chi Wave/Energizing Brew/Chi Brew on CD, FoF just came off CD or is about to (17.9 sec CD with my AoC), and RSK is about to come off CD. Jab won't be up in time for me to get the chi needed to cast FoF without allowing some of what I feel is fairly serious dead time where I could've cast RSK. I've always thought FoF as being the better option here, as long as the RSK debuff won't fall off. Yet this means delaying my RSK, which I feel causes me to miss 2-3 RSKs because this'll happen a few times per fight.

Am I doing something wrong to the point where it just shouldn't go like that? Or when I hit that point, what's the best option - FoF or RSK then FoF when I have the chi?
    TeB isn't bugged. Stacks always reset on boss pull. Just thought I'd throw that out there for clarification!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Brolibear!
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Ladies know and love his caaaaaause! It is the Panda with the Chainsaw claaaaaws!

Damn now I really feel like a baddie. Haha. I think what I used to do was stack to 10 and then just pop the 10 stacks before the fight. I'm just coming back to the game so I guess it's stuff like that I forget.

Being in that situation basically means you pushed BoK when you shouldn't have. You want to start that sequence with 2 chi, so you can jab to 4 and FoF right as it lights up. By the time FoF finishes you should regen enough energy to Jab again and then RSK.

My suspicion is that your mental sequence is going something like this:
    GCD #0: I have 2 chi, 30 energy, and none of my rotational CDs are available yet. Guess I should BoK for this GCD.
    GCD #1: I have 0 chi, 40 energy, so jab <-- this is where your description starts
    GCD #2: I have 2 chi, 10 energy, and both FoF and RSK are coming off CD soon but I won't have chi to cast them both... uh.... what do I do???

What you need to do here is to just sit on your hands for GCD #0 and do nothing. Or better, use a CB:TP proc, move into a better position, or anything else that's even slightly useful as long as it doesn't use chi. You need to be planning like 5s ahead so that you have the chi available to use it, which is easy to say in a forum post but takes practice and skill to actually execute well. (And I'm certainly not claiming to be great at it myself, just, that's the goal.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockets View Post
    Being in that situation basically means you pushed BoK when you shouldn't have. You want to start that sequence with 2 chi, so you can jab to 4 and FoF right as it lights up. By the time FoF finishes you should regen enough energy to Jab again and then RSK.

My suspicion is that your mental sequence is going something like this:
    GCD #0: I have 2 chi, 30 energy, and none of my rotational CDs are available yet. Guess I should BoK for this GCD.
    GCD #1: I have 0 chi, 40 energy, so jab <-- this is where your description starts
    GCD #2: I have 2 chi, 10 energy, and both FoF and RSK are coming off CD soon but I won't have chi to cast them both... uh.... what do I do???

What you need to do here is to just sit on your hands for GCD #0 and do nothing. Or better, use a CB:TP proc, move into a better position, or anything else that's even slightly useful as long as it doesn't use chi. You need to be planning like 5s ahead so that you have the chi available to use it, which is easy to say in a forum post but takes practice and skill to actually execute well. (And I'm certainly not claiming to be great at it myself, just, that's the goal.)
    You could also use your Chiwave here at GCD #0, if it is off CD that would be the best time to use it.

Deleted
    In general your best position is to be between 2 and 4 chi or 1 and 3 chi, unless you used 3 chi to hit FOF you shouldnt really get to 0 chi in the fight (Exceptions are when bloodlust or energizing brew are active)

Quote Originally Posted by Jocias View Post
    16% wasted chi. You should strive for single-digits percent of chi waste on IJ.
    You didn't waste much energy from energy capping, which is good. Just keep in mind that wasted chi is essentially the same thing as wasted energy and vice versa.
    First of all, impressive analysis!
    I know it's a little off-topic in this thread, but since I cannot write PMs now b/c of post-counter, I'd like to put the question here. Could you maybe tell me how to find out about wasted Chi using Warcraftlogs? I've taken a look at it yesterday, but couldn't seem to find it. Currenty I'm at work, but I'll take a closer look again, once I get home. I know how to look at most stuff, but the Chi-thing is a mystery to me
    You can also write me a PN, if you don't wanna go too off-topic in this thread.

thx

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperhyve View Post
    I know it's a little off-topic in this thread, but since I cannot write PMs now b/c of post-counter, I'd like to put the question here. Could you maybe tell me how to find out about wasted Chi using Warcraftlogs? I've taken a look at it yesterday, but couldn't seem to find it. Currenty I'm at work, but I'll take a closer look again, once I get home. I know how to look at most stuff, but the Chi-thing is a mystery to me

thx
    If I had to guess it would be how much chi generated from Jab/Expel harm to how much chi was spent during the fight (i.e. Full Chi but used jab/eh effectively wasting the Chi).

Quote Originally Posted by hyperhyve View Post

thx
    Before you can do analysis of Chi or Energy, you have to have Advanced Combat Logging enabled in WoW. You can do this by going to Settings > Network and clicking the checkbox next to Advanced Combat Logging.

With Warcraftlogs, you select the character you want to analyze. Click Resources from the array of options at the near the top of the window. Click Chi from the menu on the left side of the window. Divide Wasted by Raw Gain. In Owlie's case, he wasted 23 chi from a Raw Gain of 142. 23 / 142 = 0.162 or about 16% waste.

For energy, just click on Energy in the menu on the left. In the menu toward the top of the screen, click Graph. Then click Show Graph from the dropdown.

You can look at the graph of Chi usage in the same way, though it's far more informative for Energy.

Quote Originally Posted by owlie View Post
    Damn now I really feel like a baddie. Haha. I think what I used to do was stack to 10 and then just pop the 10 stacks before the fight. I'm just coming back to the game so I guess it's stuff like that I forget.
    Yeah you probably did, I think it wasn't until 5.2 that they added the reset on pull thing because everyone was spamming Expel Harm/SFB to build TEB. It would get extremely annoying on progression with very tight DPS checks because raids would have to sit there for like 3 minutes waiting for the WW to build and spend chi. That wasn't actually changed until later, and isn't exactly stated anywhere in the game that this is supposed to happen, so it's pretty easy to think that it's a bug.

and i don't think anyone's mentioned it, but the buff if you use your stacks before the pull will disappear the same way your stacks did, so you don't wanna try that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocias View Post
    Before you can do analysis of Chi or Energy, you have to have Advanced Combat Logging enabled in WoW. You can do this by going to Settings > Network and clicking the checkbox next to Advanced Combat Logging.
    Ha! And here I've been trying to figure out where the setting was in the Warcraftlogs client >< Never occurred to me it would be a setting in wow. This is what happens when I take an entire expansion off ><
    Last edited by Arlee; 2014-11-06 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Double post ><

The wasted Chi at WarcraftLogs had a few bugs last time I checked it (2 months ago). Especially after using FoF.
    Someone noted this issue too? It's aready corrected? Can I now really trush in this information?