You like this for the next 3 years?

I had a $100 gift card that I won in a raffle for Costco. So my effective price was $799 + tax, + $29.99 shipping. I ordered it today. Basically I will play WoW, The new Civ game, and Tropico..... other than that, basic computer stuff, with some light video editing. Maybe some games from Steam, and now I can actually probably play Diablo 3 ( my current computer couldn't even come close to handling it ).

This is a Dell machine:

Processor & Memory:

Intel® Core i7-4790 Processor 3.6GHz
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz RAM

Drives:

1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
    DVD-RW (Writes to DVD/CD)

Operating System:

Microsoft® Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Graphics & Video:

4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 Graphics

Communications:

Dell 27" LCD IPS Full HD (1920 x 1080) Display
    Dell Wireless-N 1703 + Bluetooth® 4.0

Audio:

Integrated 7.1 with Waves MaxxAudio® Processing

Keyboard & Mouse:

Dell Wired Multimedia Keyboard & 6-Button Laser Mouse

I/O Ports & Slots:

6x USB 3.0
    4x USB 2.0
    Multi-Media Card Reader

AVI Ports:

Combination headphone / microphone jack
    RJ-45
    HDMI
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/WarcraftStroies/

Come share your favorite Warcraft Stories! Please read the description of the page before posting.

Graphics card is (genuinely) rather weak. The rest looks fine.

We've not moved far in the last 3 years but that's not to say this will last the same sort of time. New console generation generally pushes the PC to improve.

Is that an all-in-one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

swap the 16gb for 8 and swap your i7 for an i5. You do not need an i7, nor will you probably need 16gb of ram. Turn these deductions into a better graphics card.

edit: rather, just realized you said you already ordered it. so nvm.

I guess it will suffice for 3 years, however you may want a GPU upgrade around that time, which was why I was suggesting to cut the costs in other excessive parts to get a better gpu now.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's honestly a pretty poor deal, all things considered. We can't advise you much since you already ordered it. I would recommend returning it and starting from scratch. You can't upgrade the video card (assuming it is in fact an all in one) and... well. Yeah.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    Graphics card is (genuinely) rather weak. The rest looks fine.

We've not moved far in the last 3 years but that's not to say this will last the same sort of time. New console generation generally pushes the PC to improve.

Is that an all-in-one?
    No not an all in one.... I have never seen an all in one with a dedicated video card..... have you? And this one came with a 27" monitor, which I needed a monitor anyway, as I am replacing an all in one.

Come share your favorite Warcraft Stories! Please read the description of the page before posting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VeganHunter View Post
    I have never seen an all in one with a dedicated video card..... have you?
    Many.

And this one came with a 27" monitor
    It was assumed it was an all-in-one because it "Comes with a 27" Display" as opposed to "X Model Monitor"

Can you provide more info, a link, or something?

The price is good for the parts, but the parts are meh.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

http://www.costco.com/.product.923093.html

Put it in perspective.... I am running an i3 all in one without a video card, and 4GB ram... 2.10Ghz.

So for me, whether it is "meh" to you hardcore PC folks, this should seem like greased lightning.....

I currently get 15 FPS in PvE when only questing. I can't even come close to raiding, and struggle even in 5 man dungeons. Before WoD, I was getting 30 FPS, and about 24 FPS in 5 mans. I did a 5 man MoP dungeon yesterday to help someone, and I was getting about 5 FPS most of the time.
    Last edited by VeganHunter; 2014-11-29 at 04:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paying a lot of money for a very mediocre computer just because its better than your previously crappy computer is not an excuse to pay a lot of money.

For that kind of money you can get something a lot better and still probably fit a 27" screen. Also keep in mind, you'll be paying about $100 in tax as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I'm looking at it right, that's an S2740L. Which is about $250. It's an okay glossy monitor.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2740l.htm

Monitor $250
    4790 is about $300
    16GB at lowest is $120~
    OS $100
    M+K ?
    HDD $50
    WiFi $15
    Card Reader $50~
    Tax is $70~. This can be ignored depending on where you purchase your parts online. For example if I buy from newegg in CA I get taxed because it is in the same state. Bonus is their 3 day shipping is pretty much 1 day.

It isn't too bad. It's the graphics card that's the main issue. That and you may need to change case and PSU if you want to upgrade.

Agree with the above - cancel it and build a real machine for less. I'd never own a dell even if ya paid me too. Overpriced pieces of junk that you can't even upgrade components in. That's how they make money - you have to buy a whole new system.

Building a computer is as easy as building with Legos and its fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, I have been researching pre-builts all day and that, part-wise for prebuilts, seems like a pretty good deal to me! I think everyone is critical of it because 1) it's a Dell and 2) you can usually get a much better computer for less if you build your own. I currently was sort-of able to play WoW (5+ FPS) on this shared laptop (i5-460M, 2.53GHz; GeForce GT 425M; 4 gb ram), but then I updated the driver and it gets about one frame a second? I am able to log in and chat, so I was able to say hi to old friends after reactivating for the 10 year mark. Anyhow, I understand how a bad computer for one guy might be an upgrade for the next. I'd be thrilled with 10-20 FPS! I still don't know what I'm getting, and it's 1am... don't know if I should build my own (never done it and I'm now a busy adult versus student with free time), buy a cheapie for $350-400 that someone else posted about here, or something in the range you posted...

Anyhow, I hope you like your new computer!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wndy View Post
    <snip>
    Definitely build your own. Newegg has a fantastic series on how to build a pc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIF43-0mDk4 All you need to do is set aside 2-3 hours once you get the parts and just follow the guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    It would appear the world is retardeding at a pace much more rapid than previously anticipated.

Its not a terrible machine, just a little overpriced. If you factor in dells warranty, it's not a great deal but not bad. At least you got a good cpu. If you stick in a better graphics card it will be a good machine. Let's hope sell didn't screw you with a cheap 350w power supply with no 6 pin.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

The fact that you are playing on a computer that couldn't "even come close to handling" Diablo 3 speaks volumes.
    You could have purchased a Truck, and it would be an upgrade.
    This machine will last you at least 3 years if you treat it right, and if your expectations are as low as you prefaced things with, then there is no debate.
    Enjoy your Christmas present man!
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelbak-Illidan View Post
    Definitely build your own. Newegg has a fantastic series on how to build a pc ...All you need to do is set aside 2-3 hours once you get the parts and just follow the guidelines.
    Thanks for the link! Yeah I was going to build my own 4 years ago, and then a few things changed, and I never ended up buying a computer (been sharing one for three years), but now I use the computer for work & WoD came out... so it would be good to have my own. Spending some time on these forums lately has made me reconsider my decision to buy premade... might end up building my own for the first time!

Well, I have to say, I am 52 years old and a technophobe when it comes to computers..... No matter how easy you say it is, I won't be building one...

I pretty much expected that the people in this forum wouldn't like it, and that is OK.... but I still wanted an opinion on whether it will run WoW OK for 3 years. Personally, I can't see how it won't. I'm happy as a pig in mud, and just waiting for it to arrive.

Deleted
    It isnt a bad deal considering there is a monitor in there as well. It is just like remilia said.

Thing that I would replace in time would be the GPU and with it a new PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    It isnt a bad deal considering there is a monitor in there as well. It is just like remilia said.

Thing that I would replace in time would be the GPU and with it a new PSU.
    I agree, and will likely do that at some point, but my wife spent a ton on a kitchen remodel, and funds were limited after that....