Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Why Dedicated Raiding guilds priorize a specific UI?

So i have tried to apply to 2 different guilds who cleared Heroic SoO back on 5.4 five months after the raid got released with my dk dps/tank to several guilds but i got rejected due to screenshot, While praising my Logs (since i use blizz's basic UI). But i have all i need for raiding,dbm,recount,omen,etc.

Anything and even have lot of keybind for my different bars to quickly manage all i have on raiding.

i even joined a raid group back on 5.4 and went from 2/14Heroic to 11/14Heroic in a single night even besting the other tank many times, but it got disbanded really quick. I kept trying some guild groups, either rejected due to UI or the group was literally so bad it made me want to hit my own head against the desk.

I did manage to get 13/14heroic eventually but due to no luck with groups i gave up and only Finished progress after patch 6.0 landed.

So exactly WHY its so relevant to not have Blizz's basic UI for a decent group? I'm not asking to join blood legion,blood runs cold,paragon,method or anything like that, but i do want to join a group who will clear content in several months and finish before next patch drops on Mythic and i usually can raid from 8 PM EST onwards. And i don't mind waiting 4-5 months to fully clear raids on Mythic as long as its done before next tier drops,but this UI thing keeps really getting so annoying...

Someone explaining me about this and giving me a hand about what is so relevant about UI(and how it should look like) to be considered ''decent'' for raiding will really help me
    Last edited by ferseba18; 2014-12-01 at 03:05 AM.

Many people find the default UI inefficient, because it lacks the ability to show very important information. People see you, the one with default ui, as someone who wont strive to takes steps necessary to improve their performance due to being set in your ways.

You can argue that you are as good as any player with the default ui until your fingers bleed. But that doesn't mean you are as good a player as you CAN be if you had addons to help improve your performance with streamlined efficiency.

Any guild that rejects a player based on their ui if they meet all other criteria and isn't a blood legion or paragons is shooting themselves in the foot trying to be elite when they arent.

Deleted
    Generally, it's looked at as

"If you can't take the time to set up a UI, how much effort are you really going to be putting in to raids?"

A customized UI is, almost by definition, going to be better than the default UI. Even if you like the default UI, there could always be one tiny tweak which is going to improve your performance.

It might sound silly to some, but as an officer you could be getting many applications. This is often just one small way to weed out those who aren't as likely to be putting the effort in. It really doesn't have to be anything special, but as long as you're showing that you're tracking proccs and CDs with WeakAuras or whatever, you should be good to go.
    Last edited by mmoc7c5925fb1b; 2014-12-01 at 03:11 AM.

Well, look at the default UI this way: your health and resources are in the far top left. Buffs and debuffs in the top right. Cooldown timers at the bottom of the screen, and your character in the middle. This means that tracking everything that happens in a raid-- say, your cooldowns, your mana bar, and watching for both a debuff and fire-- requires you to be looking at every part of your screen. Unless your screen is rather small, this means your eyes are darting all over the place.

Centralizing your important information makes tracking what's going on MUCH easier.
    Last edited by Dawnshadow; 2014-12-01 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Dyslexia?

Quote Originally Posted by Erto View Post
    Generally, it's looked at as

"If you can't take the time to set up a UI, how much effort are you really going to be putting in to raids?"
    how do you figure someone wouldn't put much effort into raiding because they don't use a specific UI? Im so confused

Addons are helpful enough that guilds see it as a sign of putting in effort to better your character [like, just having some addons at least]. Not as important as having good logs though.

Deleted
    You have the top end guilds then the guilds that think they are top. (The kind that advertise being top 20 US, when that's like top in the world top 100 etc..) So they already have that elitist mentality thinking they are better than they are.
    Its unfortunate that people judge by the UI you use, (I know I use to when I looked over applications in previous guilds) but its something you gotta deal with. Either change your ui a little or try other guilds
    For god sake just make sure you don't have parchment omen skin, unlocked and recount unlocked so that those triangles are visible in the corners. Little tricks to help with the presentation of the ui.. XD
    But if you're not getting positive responses lower your expectation, since it doesn't seem like you want cutting edge raiding anyway. Aim at lower ranked guilds and then gradually work up.

I would also add that a person using the default UI while being good enough for heroic mode probably appears like a player that might up and quit at anytime (or has done so repeatedly and doesn't bother redoing the UI). A player that puts in the time to set their UI for maximal efficiency probably won't flake out as often as a player using the default

Yes, it's a generalization and might not apply to you. But they have nothing else really to go off of. If you really want to get into one of those guilds, spend a little extra time on the UI. It might even improve your game a little, who knows

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeCreeper View Post
    I would also add that a person using the default UI while being good enough for heroic mode probably appears like a player that might up and quit at anytime (or has done so repeatedly and doesn't bother redoing the UI). A player that puts in the time to set their UI for maximal efficiency probably won't flake out as often as a player using the default

Yes, it's a generalization and might not apply to you. But they have nothing else really to go off of. If you really want to get into one of those guilds, spend a little extra time on the UI. It might even improve your game a little, who knows
    This is pretty much the key part.

There's two very clear indicators of why you're getting declined.

The first is the mentality of the stock UI is "All you need". What you're really saying is "This is all I want." What you need is what the guild tells you you need. It's no different than needing Mumble/Vent/etc and/or a mic, or an addon like DBM. Out right refusing that you need them sets up a couple red flags, the least of them being that you don't want them. Any one can function without addons, but if encounters could be cleared by everyone simply "functioning", then the content wouldn't be that interesting enough to do in the first place.

The second is you want to be carried. You're applying to mythic raiding guilds and want to put in the most minimal effort possible. I'd bet money you went from 2-11/14 doing it with a group of people that was already doing it for months. It honestly is very telling the kind of person you are, when you complain "Why do people require a certain UI", then in the same post shit on people who were "bad", as if your "Impressive" logs were due to your skill, and not just because the people you played with played worse than you did.

People can be picky when going from 25 to 20 man raids. There's legitimate raiders out there who are willing to put more effort than you into their apps and impressing guilds for a core spot. In either case, this really isn't a "Interface and Macros" topic as much of a "Guild requirements" topic
    Last edited by Monstercloud; 2014-12-01 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ferseba18 View Post
    So i have tried to apply to 2 different guilds who cleared Heroic SoO back on 5.4 five months after the raid got released with my dk dps/tank to several guilds but i got rejected due to screenshot, While praising my Logs (since i use blizz's basic UI). But i have all i need for raiding,dbm,recount,omen,etc.
    Seems most of the posters here missed this.

If a guild is so leet default UI with important addons isn't good enough, why are they not in world top 3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

How are you tracking your auras? Are you watching them in the top right corner next to the minimap? Then you'd be looking somewhere that isn't your cooldowns or your feet, and that's an issue for a top end raider.

How are you tracking your cooldowns? Are you looking at the bottom of your screen where the default UI bars are? Then you won't be able to watch your auras and the rest of the fight mechanics as effectively, and as a result your reactions and performance will suffer.

A custom UI allows you to keep track of information in a more convenient way without moving your eyes all over the screen.

For example, all of my toons use bartender and weakauras. My hunter uses a bigger focus bar addon and my boomkin uses a bigger eclipse bar addon. My performance would definitely take a dive without any of these mods. If you want to push mythic progression in any semi-serious guild then a default UI is a red flag for any competent recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Monstercloud View Post
    The second is you want to be carried. You're applying to mythic raiding guilds and want to put in the most minimal effort possible. I'd bet money you went from 2-11/14 doing it with a group of people that was already doing it for months. It honestly is very telling the kind of person you are, when you complain "Why do people require a certain UI", then in the same post shit on people who were "bad", as if your "Impressive" logs were due to your skill, and not just because the people you played with played worse than you did.
    How is getting useful addons(dbm, omen, weakauras, bartender etc.) and setting them up properly less effort than downloading some UI pack and doing nothing else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

grab one of the full ui packs like elv or lyn and just take a SS of it in a random, then get rid of it

i played with the default UI in most of cata and it worked fine. started using elv during DS and my numbers didn't go up at all, it just became easier to monitor certain things. now of course, i couldn't play without it, but to each his own

Quote Originally Posted by mercylolk View Post
    How are you tracking your auras? Are you watching them in the top right corner next to the minimap? Then you'd be looking somewhere that isn't your cooldowns or your feet, and that's an issue for a top end raider.

How are you tracking your cooldowns? Are you looking at the bottom of your screen where the default UI bars are? Then you won't be able to watch your auras and the rest of the fight mechanics as effectively, and as a result your reactions and performance will suffer.

A custom UI allows you to keep track of information in a more convenient way without moving your eyes all over the screen.
    You realize that all depends entirely on just how people process information, and not everyone does it the same way.

I know a lot of people insist they have to put their health bars on the bottom of the screen, but I can't play like that because it gets in the way. That's the part of the screen I need clean more than anything. Anyone that suggests that not playing like that means you're bad at what you're doing is someone who's been looking at an interface like that all the time and likes it without considering some people don't have it that way because they don't want it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    Seems most of the posters here missed this.

If a guild is so leet default UI with important addons isn't good enough, why are they not in world top 3?
    Recount/Omen contribute next to nothing to your performance. Recount is also not as accurate as logging and uploading combat logs. The only time I've worried about threat as a tank is when I'm trying to deal damage while off-tanking, and in danger of pulling of the tank and taking and errant stack. The only other time is the rare occasion that the boss is untauntable. So with the exception of DBM, I'm really curious what the "etc" are that he so conviently left out, but listed two (mostly) useless addons.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    How is getting useful addons(dbm, omen, weakauras, bartender etc.) and setting them up properly less effort than downloading some UI pack and doing nothing else?
    He didn't mention weakauras. Weakauras is a big one, right next to DBM. I'd highly doubt he has weakauras, or addons like TMW. Saying he has either of those is conjecture, and I would HIGHLY doubt that he has them, if what he's saying about having "impressive' logs is true.

As to your actual "point", UI packs are made up of addons, even if they are highly customized. Some people like the look of a pre-made UI, others like to make their own. Personal taste is rarely accounted for when judging someone's UI, unless it's super cluttered.
    Last edited by Monstercloud; 2014-12-01 at 03:34 AM.

I have to admit I somewhat doubt that's the whole story. If it is be grateful to not have landed with retards. Unless your ui is one of the first finds searching with google for "worst wow ui" or something similar I highly doubt that people get rejected for not using the right addons. Maybe they saw you didn't use keybinds for half your shit or whatever but I have a hard time believing people get rejected for not using dominos and shadowed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    Many people find the default UI inefficient, because it lacks the ability to show very important information. People see you, the one with default ui, as someone who wont strive to takes steps necessary to improve their performance due to being set in your ways.

You can argue that you are as good as any player with the default ui until your fingers bleed. But that doesn't mean you are as good a player as you CAN be if you had addons to help improve your performance with streamlined efficiency.
    most addons are a crutch. people rely on them instead of thinking for themselves, so they dont learn how to adapt, or how to react to new situations unless an addon tells them to.....

Addons are useful, if you want them. They are not required by any means.

The amount of times I've heard the line "but dbm did not tell me..>" when people die, or when people can quote their dps but cant move out of fire.....
    Addons can get in the way of performance just as much as help it. Personally I used to use loads, then went to games with no addons, got used to it and found I am actually better with a minimal set.

other than a healer needing a decent mouseover/clique addon (or sets up their own macros), nothign is required.

omen? no longer necessary
    recount? not needed, indeed should be banned. use logs, much more useful. Only person who needs recount in raid is raidleader to see if group has overall dps, and ot check deaths etc.
    DBM - not needed, bosses telegraph obviously nowadays, if you know the fight its not needed.
    WA etc - if you need them fine, but dont assume everyone does.

use addons if you want, but dont assume others need them to perform.
    Last edited by mmoc3f25629bd0; 2014-12-01 at 03:52 AM.

Deleted
    Personally, I find that using UI packs is even more lazy than using the standard UI with a couple of addons. Get Pitbull, Quartz, TMW/WeakAuras, DBM, MSBT, Recount/Skada, bartender, Grid and any other addons you like and customize and learn how to customize them. At first, it seems impossible to customize an addon like Pitbull but I guarantee that once you learn it, you will love what you can do with it. I've been using a custom UI for years now and it fits every single requirement I need for both PvE and PvP.

Packs like ElvUI look pretty and do have the basics to perform well but you still need a level of understanding to fully customize it to your whim.

A custom made UI is very impressive if it fits the right criteria for raiding. This shows that you have a deep understanding of the requirements of raiding, the complexities of mod customization (addons like Pitbull are very difficult for new people to learn without spending quite some time on it) and a willingness to both learn and maximise your efficiency at a fundamental level. It also shows that you (if you enabled it) that you have keybindings enabled. A UI is not only "whether or not this guy is a noob" its much more than that.
    Last edited by mmocd786cabdc9; 2014-12-01 at 03:40 AM.