Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Your PC is crashing because your temps are literally hitting the max safe temps of the CPU (98 degrees celcius is the TJMax IIRC). It's probably crashing to save you from frying the chip. What cooler are you using and have you not bothered reapplying the heatsink after cleaning the paste off and reapplying some new paste?
    This is my PS: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/cool...-rs550sppad3us
    "have you not bothered reapplying the heatsink after cleaning the paste off and reapplying some new paste" I don't know what you're talking about...

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rejure View Post
    This is my PS: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/cool...-rs550sppad3us
    "have you not bothered reapplying the heatsink after cleaning the paste off and reapplying some new paste" I don't know what you're talking about...
    Not the PSU, the CPU cooler. The metal thing with a fan that sits on top of your CPU (or maybe a block with tubing leading to a radiator if it's a water cooler). Is it the stock one that it came with? An aftermarket cooler? Whichever it is, it isn't working properly. The CPU is getting too hot because of it and it's causing it to crash.

if it's stock you may just be better off buying a new one to be honest.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-12-16 at 07:26 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

no ones mentioned this; but you should test your hard drive. download crystaldiskinfo and it should give you a green Good. someone also mentioned hard disk sentinel has a trial download; that would be cool it has a disk/ self test on it.

over heating; make sure your fans are working. reapply thermal paste between your CPU and cooling fan sitting on top of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skitszo View Post
    no ones mentioned this; but you should test your hard drive. download crystaldiskinfo and it should give you a green Good. someone also mentioned hard disk sentinel has a trial download; that would be cool it has a disk/ self test on it.

over heating; make sure your fans are working. reapply thermal paste between your CPU and cooling fan sitting on top of it.
    Green on both!
    Not the PSU, the CPU cooler. The metal thing with a fan that sits on top of your CPU (or maybe a block with tubing leading to a radiator if it's a water cooler). Is it the stock one that it came with? An aftermarket cooler? Whichever it is, it isn't working properly. The CPU is getting too hot because of it and it's causing it to crash.

if it's stock you may just be better off buying a new one to be honest.
    Never heard of it, so it should be the stock one

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you able to take pictures. If so, could you take one of the inside please?
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Deleted
    Are you able to take pictures. If so, could you take one of the inside please?
    Link: Image

Deleted
    Looks dusty.

Get some compressed air and clean your CPU heatsink!

those fins on your CPU heat sink look really crudded out....its acting like insulation and it can't cool your CPU well.....as zeara noted compressed air....

- - - Updated - - -

might want to turn your compouter one real quick and make sure the fans actually spinning...never know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Link: Image
    I can see from the photo that the heatsink on your CPU is completely filled with dust. Clean it with an air duster and give us another snapshot. If need be remove the heatsink and wash it thoroughly. Remove the old thermal grease with rubbing alcohol. Go to Bestbuy or RadioShack and buy new thermal compound and apply it. If you need help with this just ask.

You may also want to clean the entire case. Looks pretty bad in there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I can see from the photo that the heatsink on your CPU is completely filled with dust. Clean it with an air duster and give us another snapshot. If need be remove the heatsink and wash it thoroughly. Remove the old thermal grease with rubbing alcohol. Go to Bestbuy or RadioShack and buy new thermal compound and apply it. If you need help with this just ask.

You may also want to clean the entire case. Looks pretty bad in there.
    those fins on your CPU heat sink look really crudded out....its acting like insulation and it can't cool your CPU well.....as zeara noted compressed air....

- - - Updated - - -

might want to turn your compouter one real quick and make sure the fans actually spinning...never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Looks dusty.

Get some compressed air and clean your CPU heatsink!
    Folder with new pics: link
    These two parts don't fit (a bit broken), but it seemed fine anyway: link
    New test: here
    When I stopped Prime95, it kept on burning... and still burning. And still... this

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Folder with new pics: link
    New test: here
    When I stopped Prime95, it kept on burning... and still burning. And still... this
    You don't need to power that computer running those temps. You're going to fry the hardware. Honestly. It's trying to throttle to avoid frying out and eventually crashing and you just keep pushing it. I already told you 98 degrees was dangerous and you just keep letting it sit there on that lol.

Assuming the pictures are in order it seems that you took the heatsink off and the thermal paste was dryer than a mother fucker which is a bad thing. Now either you tried to place it back on and likely without a new thermal paste like we mentioned which is also bad, or you used it after claiming it was broken (the clips usually break from trying to push them in incorrectly) which is also bad since it won't make good contact. A CPU NEEDS a cooler to dissipate the heat and cool it off. A cooler isn't there for looks. It needs to have a firm even contact to the CPU with a thin layer of thermal paste as a conductive compound to transfer the heat. If you halfway placed it on well then it's almost like not having it on there at all. If you placed it on without fresh thermal paste...yea same ordeal.

If the CPU Cooler is broken, you need to buy a new one. I'd recommend the Hyper 212 but we already had this discussion and it won't fit in your case. I recommended something like an H60 to you previously but someone might know of a good cheap lower profile cooler worth picking up.

I'm going to recommend you to shut that PC down, Buy a new cooler as well as some compressed air cans, and do a full cleaning to that PC. Remove the dust from the fans, GPU, etc. Use alcohol to clean the old thermal paste off. Once done, follow the instructions to install the new cooler that you buy.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-12-17 at 02:13 PM.

Deleted
    You don't need to power that computer running those temps. You're going to fry the hardware. Honestly. It's trying to throttle to avoid frying out and eventually crashing and you just keep pushing it. I already told you 98 degrees was dangerous and you just keep letting it sit there on that lol.

Assuming the pictures are in order it seems that you took the heatsink off and the thermal paste was dryer than a mother fucker which is a bad thing. Now either you tried to place it back on and likely without a new thermal paste like we mentioned which is also bad, or you used it after claiming it was broken (the clips usually break from trying to push them in incorrectly) which is also bad since it won't make good contact. A CPU NEEDS a cooler to dissipate the heat and cool it off. A cooler isn't there for looks. It needs to have a firm even contact to the CPU with a thin layer of thermal paste as a conductive compound to transfer the heat. If you halfway placed it on well then it's almost like not having it on there at all. If you placed it on without fresh thermal paste...yea same ordeal.

If the CPU Cooler is broken, you need to buy a new one. I'd recommend the Hyper 212 but we already had this discussion and it won't fit in your case. I recommended something like an H60 to you previously but someone might know of a good cheap lower profile cooler worth picking up.

I'm going to recommend you to shut that PC down, Buy a new cooler as well as some compressed air cans, and do a full cleaning to that PC. Remove the dust from the fans, GPU, etc. Use alcohol to clean the old thermal paste off. Once done, follow the instructions to install the new cooler that you buy.
    I was just doing the tests...
    Anyways yes, I put it back without the thermal paste and I'm gonna buy a new one today. It seems the CPU cooler is working (at least just by looking at it)
    Again yes, this is getting crazy. I'm here now after trying to power it up for 10 or more times without success (shut down instantly after a few seconds)
    Compressed air again? It seems pretty clean now... not perfectly clean, but cleaner at least. "fans" ?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anyways yes, I put it back without the thermal paste and I'm gonna buy a new one today. It seems the CPU cooler is working (at least just by looking at it)
    Again yes, this is getting crazy. I'm here now after trying to power it up for 10 or more times without success (shut down instantly after a few seconds)
    Compressed air again? It seems pretty clean now... not perfectly clean, but cleaner at least. "fans" ?
    If we can easily see the dust on the entire surface of the PC, it honestly needs a cleaning. Wipe the case down, blow the GPU out with canned air, making sure theres no dust built up on the GPU fans/Case fans, etc. And using a CPU heatsink with no thermal paste is near useless. That's why it's going to shut down.

As for "just doing the tests", it's good to try and get the required information, but if you already know it's got a temperature problem then the last thing you want to do is stress test it to full loads considering you're having temp issues even without full load. If you fry something it's your money not ours so I'm just trying to look out for your hardware. I would avoid using that computer until you've got it all fixed. because a $20-40 fix could easily turn into a $200+ fix.

Deleted
    You need the thermal paste/grease/compound. That is why your temps are stupidly high. Clean the heatsink and CPU of compound, reapply (using either the pea or line method is best), seat the heatsink properly after cleaning it of crap, and you should be sorted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know what's broken but the heatsink usually needs some pressure on the CPU for adequate cooling. If it's broken then go buy a new CPU heatsink.

STOP! STOP right there. Don't turn that machine on without the paste. That's like having the heatsink not connected to the CPU. This is what happens when you remove the heatsink or apply no thermal paste. Get some thermal paste and use the pea method to apply it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anyways yes, I put it back without the thermal paste
    *jaw drop* If you did this and had read all the previous advice, perhaps you shouldn't even try, and just get a new computer.

poor cpu...lol awe....it had a bad day....

AMD chip would of fried...lol...probly.. I'd be impressed if you didn't fry your chip out.

10+ Year Old Account
    poor cpu...lol awe....it had a bad day....

AMD chip would of fried...lol...probly.. I'd be impressed if you didn't fry your chip out.
    AMD chips depend on the motherboard to shut it down before there's damage. Though admittedly I've accidentally damage a AMD cpu from not setting the shut down temp fairly low. The memory controller tends to damage a lot on AMD chips. An HP with a AMD chip also had it's memory controller damaged from just not enough cooling. It's nice to have the CPU slow down to prevent damage like on Intels.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    AMD chips depend on the motherboard to shut it down before there's damage. Though admittedly I've accidentally damage a AMD cpu from not setting the shut down temp fairly low. The memory controller tends to damage a lot on AMD chips. An HP with a AMD chip also had it's memory controller damaged from just not enough cooling. It's nice to have the CPU slow down to prevent damage like on Intels.
    I know this isn't pertaining to the OP, but AMD motherboards don't set that shut down temp to the specified max safe temp of the CPU? I believe my 2500k was set automatically to that point, but then again I've never even come close to that number to even bother realizing if it's set to that or not. Don't AMD CPUs generally have a max safe temp of something like 70 degrees?

Deleted
    If we can easily see the dust on the entire surface of the PC, it honestly needs a cleaning. Wipe the case down, blow the GPU out with canned air, making sure theres no dust built up on the GPU fans/Case fans, etc. And using a CPU heatsink with no thermal paste is near useless. That's why it's going to shut down.

As for "just doing the tests", it's good to try and get the required information, but if you already know it's got a temperature problem then the last thing you want to do is stress test it to full loads considering you're having temp issues even without full load. If you fry something it's your money not ours so I'm just trying to look out for your hardware. I would avoid using that computer until you've got it all fixed. because a $20-40 fix could easily turn into a $200+ fix.
    I came here now because yesterday, as you told me to, I've shut down my PC, went to buy the thermal paste and I've applied it like another user posted above here (but I couldn't see it yesterday so I just had a look before shutting down my PC).
    It didn't turn on since now (it didn't connect mouse/keyboard/display), but now it works fine.
    I've run hwmonitor, pretty fine temps.
    Then prime95 again, it lagged quite a lot but got to 75*C gradually in one minute or so. (image)
    Last edited by mmoc871db91128; 2014-12-18 at 04:58 PM.