Page 1 of 2
LastLast

CBA with Garrisons, what am I missing?

I just can't be bothered. I dragged followers into the zzz missions last night and thought NOPE. Screw this, it's too boring.

Am I missing anything important if I completely ignore Garrisons?

Gear, legendary quest items, bonus roll tokens, gold, vanity items.

Otherwise nope.

EDIT: Oh and if you mean garrison as a whole, profession progression and extra mats.

Not really, its optional, you can get some epic gear from some missions when you have geared up some followers to very high ilvl. But it won't affect gameplay much.
    Proffesion buildings are quite important though if you want to be able to craft as much as possible.
    Some buildings are quite fun and useful to have, like Gladiator's Sanctum for Highmaul Arena if you like to PvP.

if you have enough money and don't plan on crafting anything big - ye, you can ignore the profs (well, not completely - pressing a button once a day to use your daily profession CD isn't much effort) and the profession related garrison buildings .. exception is I suppose alchemy and maybe JC/enchanting if you want to be able to gem/enchant your own gear and make your own flasks and pots for raids .. if not - just buy them from AH

if you get your epix and legendary stones from raids - ye, you can ignore the corresponding garrison missions, they won't give much compared to what a full raid clear (much less on multiple difficulties) gives

they support you and give you things, but they're not MANDATORY

some exceptions would be Stables for mount lovers and Gladiators building for PvPers .. and maybe Inn for those that love to run 5-mans .. aand Menagerie for pet lovers, fishign shack - for fishers

Deleted
    if it is fun you're looking for then you're not missing anything

Deleted
    Probably the only performance increasing factor are the garrison missions for raid gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Missions can - rarely though - yield 665 ilvl gear.. 645 is more common, but also rare enough.
    Plus stones for the legendary quest, seals.
    All in all, garrison offers some alternatives. You can go entirely without it, after you've set yours up for level 1... But they sure help you getting along a bit easier. Plus the allure of revenues from them, cannot be ignored.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Missions can - rarely though - yield 665 ilvl gear.. 645 is more common, but also rare enough.
    Actually once you have at least 2 ILevel 645 followers you will get a raid Mission every approx 2,5 weeks granting you raid gear one Level above your current raiding Level (e.g. Normal if you raid LFR...up to Mythic if you raid HC).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    Make the entire world one big raid. Everyone huddles in cities until they can find 19 other adventurers to group with. Then they gradually trash pull their way through the zone

Luke Skywalker was an angry young male from the desert, who was indoctrinated by a religious fringe member, and joined a terror plot to blow up a major military installation. Luke is a 9/11 pilot...

You're missing out on one mythic 685 item every 12 days. Which is even worse then completely ignoring your bonus rolls each week (1 coin=15% chance). Anyone serious about progression will not skip a free mythic item every 12 days. Just to show the impact:

For a 7/7 mythic guild:
    - Mythic drops 4 items, 7 bosses, 28 items per week, 48 per 12 days, 2.4 items per member
    - Bonus rolls provide ~5 coins per 12 days, so that 0.75 item per member
    - Mythic missions provide 1 guaranteed mythic item per 12 days per member

For a 3/7 mythic guild:
    - Mythic drops 4 items, 3 bosses, 12 items per week, 20 per 12 days, 1 item per member
    - Bonus rolls will again provide around 0.75 item per member
    - Mythic missions provide 1 guaranteed mythic item per member

As you can see the impact from every guildie ignoring the garrison is HUGE. The mythic mission is an extremely important part of gearing, even more important then the bonus coins are. Most guilds are currently limited by gear, so 20 players getting a free mythic item is HUGE. Especially considering you can get sick trinkets from the last boss on MYTHIC difficulty (which most guilds wont even come close to killing). Not spending time in your garrison is a HUGE mistake.
    Last edited by willemh; 2014-12-16 at 01:06 PM.

that item is not guaranteed, you need success on the mission as well .. and you only have 3 followers to cover as much out of 6 threats as possible .. ideally you need to have the perfect counter pairs combinations in all 3 followers, which will never happen .. you can hope to counter 4 threats generally, maybe 5, no matter how many ilvl 645 epic followers you have .. other bonuses increase the chance, but it will not likely be 100%

the mythic mission will also only start showing up after you have been fully clearing heroic for a few weeks at least, not right after raids open

and finally the item and its slot is completely random - you may get a mythic item for a slot where you already have a mythic item for

also I'm pretty sure I read somewhere garrison missions will not give epic (or maybe just mythic) weapons

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by onedirection View Post
    if it is fun you're looking for then you're not missing anything
    Missions are fun actually, especially with a Salvage Yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    that item is not guaranteed, you need success on the mission as well .. and you only have 3 followers to cover as much out of 6 threats as possible .. ideally you need to have the perfect counter pairs combinations in all 3 followers, which will never happen .. you can hope to counter 4 threats generally, maybe 5, no matter how many ilvl 645 epic followers you have .. other bonuses increase the chance, but it will not likely be 100%
    Clearly, you do not have a lot of followers.

In any case, you have up to 9 traits to futher help the success chance. Not very hard to get 100%, especially with the the probably to be-nerfed stacking of racial bonuses.

the mythic mission will also only start showing up after you have been fully clearing heroic for a few weeks at least, not right after raids open

and finally the item and its slot is completely random - you may get a mythic item for a slot where you already have a mythic item for

also I'm pretty sure I read somewhere garrison missions will not give epic (or maybe just mythic) weapons
    Please dont spread misinformation if you dont know how it works.

1) The item is guaranteed if, as I said before, you spend some effort into your garrison. Currently I can do every single highmaul raid mission with 100% chance (there are only 4 missions btw, they are not random, they can be found here: http://www.wowhead.com/item=118531).

2) The mythic mission doesnt require you to fully clear heroic raids at all. The only requirement is that you've kill 15 heroic bosses. You can kill the first boss on heroic 15 times (I killed the first 5 bosses twice, and kargath 5 times and got the mythic mission 3 days ago, never even touched the last boss). So now I'm running around with mythic gear while we havnt even started mythic progression yet. So yes, you could get the mythic mission before mythic was even available to raid if you did it right.

3) All loot in the game is random, the same is true for raid boss drops and bonus coin rolls.

4) You're correct garrison missions wont give weapons, luckily this game doesnt only revolve around weapons and you have ~15 other item slots to fill.

Now, if you can double the amount of items you gain during the first weeks of mythic progression (or even get mythic gear before you even start mythic progression) by just doing some garrison stuff, im pretty damn sure its worth it.

The mythic mission doesnt require you to fully clear heroic raids at all. The only requirement is that you've kill 15 heroic bosses
    would like to see a source on this

The item is guaranteed if, as I said before, you spend some effort into your garrison. Currently I can do every single highmaul raid mission with 100% chance (there are only 4 missions btw, they are not random
    guaranteed means 100% no matter what you do .. that is not the case here, you need to have RNG luck on your followers as well, that means it isn't guaranteed

also I'm not sure why we're talking about mythic gearing (??) at all, OP doesn't look like a mythic raider to me at all, based on the links in his sig, as well as this question

mythic raiders obviously utilize everything available to them (doesn't matter how good/bad mythic mission is, so long as it gives some boost that is >0 - they will do it) .. but casual players need not bother with that and if the OP doesn't like garrison/mission stuff then I don't see why he HAS to force himself to do it, I hardly think a shot at 1 normal (or even heroic) piece every 2 weeks is that big of a deal - especially if you aren't a progression raider

seems to me like OP needed to know what kind of rewards missions can give, he got that in this thread, now it's up to him to decide if it's worth it

for me personally I loved decking out my garrison/follwoers on my first WoD char, currently it has a bunch of 645s and such and it was/is fun ... but when I think about doing all of that (especially the followers - getting them, leveling, gearing) AGAIN from SCRATCH for a second or a third char ... my enthusiasm vanishes
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2014-12-16 at 02:02 PM.

guaranteed means 100% no matter what you do
    That word describes more things than just death and taxes...

would like to see a source on this
    Source is my armory I guess. As you can see I only killed heroic imperator yesterday, and got my mythic belt before that kill. Plus there are about 3 topics about the subject on this very forum.

guaranteed means 100% no matter what you do .. that is not the case here, you need to have RNG luck on your followers as well, that means it isn't guaranteed
    As I said, its guaranteed given you spend the effort. Everyone should have 25+ epic followers by now if they've been starting their missions properly, the chances you cant clear the highmaul raid missions with those with very high succes chances is extremely low and you would have to be extremely unlucky, but as I said RNG is an integral part of this game and you can easily get fucked by RNG in raids aswel so its a really bad argument in the first place. Yes some extremely unlucky individuals might not be able to reach 100% and fail their 98% succes chance mission, but this really is a silly point.

also I'm not sure why we're talking about mythic gearing (??) at all, OP doesn't look like a mythic raider to me at all, based on the links in his sig, as well as this question

mythic raiders obviously utilize everything available to them (doesn't matter how good/bad mythic mission is, so long as it gives some boost that is >0 - they will do it) .. but casual players need not bother with that and if the OP doesn't like garrison/mission stuff then I don't see why he HAS to force himself to do it, I hardly think a shot at 1 normal (or even heroic) piece every 2 weeks is that big of a deal - especially if you aren't a progression raider
    As I showed before, it doesnt give you 'some' boost, it gives you a very significant increase in loot income, more then bonus rolls give you, and can increase your total loot income per week by 30-80%. This is HUGE and not just 'some' increase. Your point about the OP not being a progression raider is rather silly aswell. You only require some heroic boss kills, which can be pugged by ANYONE at this point. Kargath heroic is a complete and utter joke. So even a very casual player can easily obtain mythic gear through missions, and that gear is arguably even more valuable to them then for a mythic raider because it cannot be obtained through any other means for them since they arnt raiding mythic. Basically a 636 geared casual player who never did more then some heroic dungeons can pug the first few heroic bosses a few times and obtain a mythic warforged socketed trinket from Imperator mythic from his garrison mission. This is quite insane when you think about it.

seems to me like OP needed to know what kind of rewards missions can give, he got that in this thread, now it's up to him to decide if it's worth it
    The rewards are clear, mythic gear for everyone, 1 piece every 12 days. Ontop of all the resources/gold etc. This is huge and hard to ignore even for a very casual player. Arguably the garrison game is very suited for casual players anyway, it doesnt take a whole lot of attention, all it takes is to start a few missions every once in a while.

possible mythic gear for those that have spent a good amount of time and effort to get a bunch of 645s in the garrison, as well have spent some time raiding heroic
    fix'd

Everyone should have 25+ epic followers by now if they've been starting their missions properly, the chances you cant clear the highmaul raid missions with those with very high succes chances is extremely low and you would have to be extremely unlucky, but as I said RNG is an integral part of this game and you can easily get fucked by RNG in raids aswel so its a really bad argument in the first place.
    .. except they also need to be 645 ilvl

and can increase your total loot income per week by 30-80%
    1 possible piece in 2 weeks= by 80% ? bs

.. except they also need to be 645 ilvl
    I'll post a screenshot of my bags when I get home . I literally have enough upgrade items in my bag to lvl 10 followers to 645. Also you don't need to make all followers 645, just 2.5 to begin with (2 to 645 and 1 to ~637) and start getting the highmaul mission. When it pops you then decide which other followers you need to gear to complete that specific mission. By now you should have obtained plenty of gear to gear up like 15-20 followers to 645 anyway.

1 possible piece in 2 weeks= by 80% ? bs
    Could even go as far as saying its increasing your chances for mythic gear by an INFINITIVE AMOUNT if you dont raid mythic since its your only source of mythic gear 1/0=infinitive! Anyway for the numbers check my first post, I showed the numbers there. You really seem to underestimate how big of a deal one piece per raid member is when bosses only drop 4 items each.

You are missing professions, gold, mounts, pets, achievements. Whether it's a lot is up to you. For me, it's a lot, achievements are half the reason I am playing at all (the other half is PVP), so I can't skip garrisons, even though I don't like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    Clearly, you do not have a lot of followers.

In any case, you have up to 9 traits to futher help the success chance. Not very hard to get 100%, especially with the the probably to be-nerfed stacking of racial bonuses.
    Which is all RNG based on the abilities/traits you actually get. Preparing for these missions require a lot of work too. It will get easier sure since you'll level up more epic followers but it's hard for people who haven't had the time/didn't understand to get salvage yard level 3 and war mill early as well as spam missions. Maybe it was easy for you but you were probably also prepared for all of this (or just very lucky).