Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why are the forums "dead"?

I have been playing some GW2 again for the last couple days, and while there seem to be plenty of people logged in, the forums are desolate. People seem to post on this forum very sporadically, and even guildwars2guru forums are dwindling. Some of the class forums on that site haven't seen a new post in several months. People post on the official forums, so why are the fan site forums so sparse? I would never use the official forums, personally. They are hideous and obnoxious to look through (all that damn white). Besides, I don't want my account name showing up on there at all. Anyone have any ideas?

Forums are used for different reasons.

1. Theorycrafting
    2. Tactics discussion
    3. New content

The issue is that
    1. There are no theorycrafters left (most quit a long time ago)
    2. The tactics are always the same
    3. There hasn't been new content for a while which you can discuss at length

An example, let's say you want to discuss PvP, the problem is that the only thing worth mentioning are problems, which nobody expects to get fixed, and which everybody knows of by now. This means it's pointless to start discussing it again, we've been talking about them for months already.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

If you are talking about this forum, also take into account the wow centric focus of this site.

You can always try the official forums but that is really a crap shoot. Most official game forums are a cesspool.
    The best forum or community that I've found is actually guildwars2 reddit

Usually when a game is dead, the forums associated with it may become so as well.
    Jk I'm sure its a great game.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

There might just be a lull in the content currently so there is less to discuss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    If you are talking about this forum, also take into account the wow centric focus of this site.
    This.

This subforum is mostly a farce, a stagefront for certain, um, shall we say vested? parties to bash the game.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    This.

This subforum is mostly a farce, a stagefront for certain, um, shall we say vested? parties to bash the game.
    We don't really see non-GW players come in and do that, though. We have those who play it who are critical of the game, most certainly. But we still play.

Excuse me? Would you care to elaborate? Because I'm terribly confused.

a stagefront for certain, um, shall we say vested? parties to bash the game.
    Kind of a dubious claim. Everyone is welcome to their opinion on these forums. We do not restrict people disliking or criticizing any game in the respective forum/topic.

What we [Mods] don't usually tolerate are personal attacks of users and disruptive posting in topics- i.e. "trolling". If you feel MMO-C is allowing such feel free to PM an administrator with your grievances.

However, do keep in mind these forums are open for anyone to express their views on video games. Regardless of what sub-forum one may be posting within as long as it is civil and within the MMO-C posting guidelines, naturally.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-12-31 at 12:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This.

Levels of victimization reaching an unprecedented high. This forum is open for any1 to discuss long as its GW2 related.

People just tend to focus more on the bad than the good. I usually keep an eye on all forums in this site of games i play/take a break/played and in GW2 i've seen some incredibly detailed and constructive posting that are "bashing" the game.

From what i've seen its usually people that come out and dismiss these posts with "nothing is wrong, lalalala" that then attract more people to bash on the game and then we get an overall picture that these forums are for .. how you put it? Vested parties to bash GW2.

Deleted
    I disagree. Yes, we're seeing a lot of complaints but they are explained and well, to be honest, justified. I rarely see any real non-constructive criticism aka "bashing" here and if that happens, Mods infarct the poster.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can never keep track of everything that's going on in GW2. The last thing I actually remember happening was the introduction of laurels. I still have no clue what those are/do. I also don't know what Ascended gear is, or why people are mad about it. Because of this, I am likely "out of the loop" with regard to any content droughts, since everything is more or less new to me. Thanks for the insights.

And look above at the "jk I'm sure it's a good game" response if you want some ammo for your "this sub forum is a lightning rod" argument.

Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post

And look above at the "jk I'm sure it's a good game" response if you want some ammo for your "this sub forum is a lightning rod" argument.
    you get those responses in every non-wow game subforum here on this site

10+ Year Old Account
    We sure do.

and the WoW ones, really.

- - - Updated - - -

This.

I think the only folks that get infracted/banned in this subforum are the people that come here to bash the game, so I can't see how fits at all. You're probably the biggest GW2 fan, how often do you get infracted for bashing people with complaints?

It's really not that complicated, there's a 3 or more page thread with every new addition to the game. Lack of posts because lack of content to discuss.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

lack of content is part of it but the biggest reason is that there are only a few of us players that post here

I mean WoW had what, 14 months without any content additions? But they still talked a shitload due to the number of players that post on this site (probably a lot of inane shit they talked about but whatever).

Should have seen them when it was the good old days, back in beta.

WoW didn't have an expansion for a year yet still added new raids, dailies etc and lost like 5 million players. its just that still left it with like 6 million. GW2 has had only meager additions for a full two years and somehow still has signs of life. That's not that bad of a community, right?
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    It's a game that doesn't really have anything going for it. What should people discuss? PvE progression? PvP competition? However, it's a non-subscription MMO by a major developer, so it draws some players by virtue of that alone. It's also just about the only big name MMORPG where you can have a "perfect character," i.e. the best gear in the game etc., without any real effort or skill. This attracts people who couldn't accomplish that in games like WoW, FFXIV and Wildstar but still feel like they need to have a maxed out MMO character to feel satisfied about. However, GW2's gameplay is completely bereft of any substance or discussion-generating content.
    Last edited by mmoc2a274d6a6c; 2014-12-31 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishoj View Post
    It's a game that doesn't really have anything going for it. What should people discuss? PvE progression? PvP competition? .
    I do not agree with your post in total and the spirit of what I am quoting here may not be what you intended, but I think there is a degree of [intnetional or not] truth to this part.

Let me explain more broadly.

I do think GW2 has a lot to offer. Though I do not think GW2 has a lot to discuss deeply. Content lull or not. GW2 is a game that is very accessible, it's goals are mostly free-form after satisfying the relatively "low hanging fruit" of character goals outlined by the gameplay.

There is not a lot to talk about in GW2. What is there to say really after initial impressions of new content or features? Even the content itself is only tenable discussion for a few days it seems as it is again too, highly accessible content without any strongly required goals.

The gameplay is shallow in it's discussion depth. How one plays the game is also not too rigorous or necessarily conducive to discussion. The basic goal of firing off a rifle, bow, ice missile or chromatic sphere of death is roughly the same process as an Engineer, Ranger, Elementalist or Guardian.

None of which is truly a negative in the context of GW2. Though I do think there is a pretty sharp contrast in the thoughtfulness of gameplay operation between [ex] Path of Exile or The Old Republic where one might spend days reading on a single facet of gameplay/class vs. a few hours in GW2 if at that. Or where the former can have people actively viewing a discussion on Sunday night about the mechanisms of shield blocking vs. "major" GW2 streams in sub-100 persons range.

It too is reflected in the kinds of topics that are discussed heavily and popularly in GW2; what class do you want to see? look at my character! check out this waterfall screenshot! what do you think about living story [part XX]??

These are somewhat soft topics, if you will. Especially when you might find vigorous internet throwdowns about the state of Charge in World of Warcraft complete with third party coverage in media, independent podcasts discussing Charge and so on. Or a flurry of youttube video on what people think of Cast on Damage Taken Immortal Call, Arsenal in SoR, etc.

There is just not a lot to say about GW2 for the most part other than what one enjoys (check out my [blanky] finally!) or what they don't [dailies are poop].

In summation I feel it begs rehashing as old critique of Skyrim as applicable to Guild Wars 2: The width of an ocean, the depth of a puddle.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-01-01 at 12:48 AM.