Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    You're talking about this machine?

It seems pretty loud...
    This was the machine used, a nippy 3.

Pretty quiet apart from that frog breathing thing.

Here you can't hear anything else but the 100.000 decibels from the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    This was the machine used, a nippy 3.
    Sounds like the issue might have been loud breathing or the machine malfunctioning then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I'm curious why people think it's more likely for it to be malfunctioning or louder than normal. It's necessary for their survival. It would stand to reason it is well maintained because failure would be a serious problem...

I know, assumptions blah blah...but people find this to be more probable? This dude, with a caregiver, is zipping around town with a malfunctioning respirator. A machine vital to his survival...?

huehuehue
    Malfunctioning doesn't necessarily mean barely functioning. It could be that it was fitted improperly or had a leak that did not prevent it from performing its primary function, and as a result it may have been making noise outside of its normal operation. The point is that multiple people complained that it was a disturbance so I have little reason to doubt that it was in fact making a lot of noise rather than jumping to the rather absurd conclusion that several random people and staff just decided they don't like disabled people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry if this was discussed already -- I realize this likely didn't happen in the US but don't most countries have some sort of ADA like clause that means that businesses have to, in general, attempt to accommodate disabled people?

I realize this sort of situation is tricky -- on one hand a person who pays for a ticket should have a reasonable expectation of being able to enjoy a movie with minimal distraction -- and in any sort of typical scenario someone being disruptive would be ejected. But on the other hand someone with a disability should have a reasonable expectation to be able to watch a movie without being humiliated.

The movie theater was put in a really awful place when the complaints started rolling in.

I feel that I can safely state, however, that the people complaining are pretty awful people. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Malfunctioning doesn't necessarily mean barely functioning. It could be that it was fitted improperly or had a leak that did not prevent it from performing its primary function, and as a result it may have been making noise outside of its normal operation. The point is that multiple people complained that it was a disturbance so I have little reason to doubt that it was in fact making a lot of noise rather than jumping to the rather absurd conclusion that several random people and staff just decided they don't like disabled people.
    No clearly it was still working. But this isn't like the A/C in your car or something where it's "malfunction" is just a minor nuisance and you'll get it fixed when you can. It stands to reason that if they require it for daily use to survive, a malfunction, even minor, would be addressed quickly and not allowed to persist. Especially when it's apparent they have a caretaker. Judging from its normal operation (in the video above) there's almost no reason if under normal function it should have been a problem and if it were malfunctioning to the point where it was causing enough noise to actually bother people, it stands to reason it would be dealt with.

And it's not a matter of them not liking disabled people, I never said that. But a matter of empathy or more importantly, acting like decent (presumably) adult human beings and not letting something like this bother them, certainly not to the point they need to make a big stink about it and embarrass them half way into the movie...

The theatre staff, their fuck up wasn't necessarily addressing the complaints, but in how they handled it. People bitch, people get kicked out that's how it is. But to just send him off without offering compensation up front is just a dick move.

for added context on this, most who know, know that I'm not even remotely a politically correct type and even I can understand that this is Top-Shelf, AAA, Horse-Fuckery.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2015-01-16 at 08:23 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    You are a legend thats why.

Pirating facilities exist for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Warrior View Post
    So you go to russia/china every time you need a movie rip? That is dedication man...

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Warrior View Post
    More appropriately, he could get the machine fixed and/or go see a movie during a time that the theatre wasn't packed...I saw Wild last night with a friend, there were maybe 7 people in the entire theatre.

No clearly it was still working. But this isn't like the A/C in your car or something where it's "malfunction" is just a minor nuisance and you'll get it fixed when you can. It stands to reason that if they require it for daily use to survive, a malfunction, even minor, would be addressed quickly and not allowed to persist. Especially when it's apparent they have a caretaker. Judging from its normal operation (in the video above) there's almost no reason if under normal function it should have been a problem and if it were malfunctioning to the point where it was causing enough noise to actually bother people, it stands to reason it would be dealt with.
    If it was working normally as far as keeping the guy alive but was still making noise it may not have been a priority for him to get it fixed right that moment. Maybe he was going to get it fixed later that day after the movie, or sometime the next day? Just because the normal operation of the unit in the posted video was quite does not mean his was, and apparently it wasn't hence the complaints.
    And it's not a matter of them not liking disabled people, I never said that. But a matter of empathy or more importantly, acting like decent (presumably) adult human beings and not letting something like this bother them, certainly not to the point they need to make a big stink about it and embarrass them half way into the movie...
    Empathy goes both way. He could just as easily empathized with the other people that his device was causing a problem for and voluntarily left, or talked with the management about the situation who in my experience would have probably given him some free passes so he could come back another time to multiple shows. Instead he goes to the media/online and made a big deal out of this situation so he could say poor me look how bad I was treated all the while trying to make others look bad all for crime of doing their job or having the nerve to complain about a crappy situation.
    The theatre staff, their fuck up wasn't necessarily addressing the complaints, but in how they handled it. People bitch, people get kicked out that's how it is. But to just send him off without offering compensation up front is just a dick move.
    He got a refund when asked for. Was he being an ass with the manager because he felt wronged, or was he being reasonable? How one acts often plays a roll in how accommodating people are going to be. The details of how it all went down are rather lacking, and are from one side of the story so you will have to forgive me if I don't take his version of events as flawless insight.

My local theater asked a group to leave who had a mentally disabled young adult who was screaming incoherently on and off during Rage, but rather than just kick them out, they put them in an unoccupied theater and let them watch the movie privately. They also gave everyone in the original theater free passes to come back to another movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    If it was working normally as far as keeping the guy alive but was still making noise it may not have been a priority for him to get it fixed right that moment. Maybe he was going to get it fixed later that day after the movie, or sometime the next day? Just because the normal operation of the unit in the posted video was quite does not mean his was, and apparently it wasn't hence the complaints.
    Empathy goes both way. He could just as easily empathized with the other people that his device was causing a problem for and voluntarily left, or talked with the management about the situation who in my experience would have probably given him some free passes so he could come back another time to multiple shows. Instead he goes to the media/online and made a big deal out of this situation so he could say poor me look how bad I was treated all the while trying to make others look bad all for crime of doing their job or having the nerve to complain about a crappy situation.
    He got a refund when asked for. Was he being an ass with the manager because he felt wronged, or was he being reasonable? How one acts often plays a roll in how accommodating people are going to be. The details of how it all went down are rather lacking, and are from one side of the story so you will have to forgive me if I don't take his version of events as flawless insight.
    You're missing the point on the malfunction thing. If something is vital to your well-being and is clearly malfunctioning, most people won't just say "oh well, fuck it, will do it after Taken 3..." They'd say, "I need to get this looked at, before it kills me." Or an RN/caregiver would deal with it, or they would be negligent in their duties. It is entirely illogical, and improbable, for this person to go out to the movies with a malfunctioning respirator.

I do find it funny that "mob rule" is somehow winning here anyway. His experience was ruined by multiple people, but he has to just sit there and shut up about it? Maybe those people should have just sat there and shut up about it...

Any complaint that could possibly be levied on this dude can be equally applied to those who complained to get him turfed out. The only difference is they had a choice on the matter. But they win because there happened to be more than 1 of them. Clearly the only course of action is to send more cripples to the movies. Strength in numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    My local theater asked a group to leave who had a mentally disabled young adult who was screaming incoherently on and off during Rage, but rather than just kick them out, they put them in an unoccupied theater and let them watch the movie privately. They also gave everyone in the original theater free passes to come back to another movie.
    Priorities, that theatre has them.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2015-01-16 at 09:41 PM.

This thread title feels like something I'd see on facebook to a link to a site about "23 things you don't know about actors"

I do find it funny that "mob rule" is somehow winning here anyway. His experience was ruined by multiple people, but he has to just sit there and shut up about it? Maybe those people should have just sat there and shut up about it...
    It's just common courtesy to *other people* to not engage in certain public activities when you think your presence would be a disturbance. Crying babies at $500/plate fine dining restaurants, etc. It's the reason why people hire sitters.

The guy was offended that the theatre manager asked him to come back when the theatre was less crowded, which I find perplexing. If his presence wasn't actually causing problems I very highly doubt they would have asked him to leave. I'm not saying that the possibility of someone being offended at the mere presence of a disabled person doesn't exist, but it's probably unlikely.

Priorities, that theatre has them.
    And it's interesting, because the other option for theaters is the one in which Ethan Saylor was choked to death by off-duty police. The standard of excellence could be pretty low.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    It's just common courtesy to *other people* to not engage in certain public activities when you think your presence would be a disturbance. Crying babies at $500/plate fine dining restaurants, etc. It's the reason why people hire sitters.

The guy was offended that the theatre manager asked him to come back when the theatre was less crowded, which I find perplexing. If his presence wasn't actually causing problems I very highly doubt they would have asked him to leave. I'm not saying that the possibility of someone being offended at the mere presence of a disabled person doesn't exist, but it's probably unlikely.
    That is something avoidable though...crying babies, talking on your phone. They make the decision to do that. Taking your life support with you, really isn't avoidable. You don't have a choice on that. The only way to avoid his situation, would be to never go, ever. I'm not willing to impose a life of being a shut in on someone just because one day the sound of air hissing through a tube is going to ruin a movie....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by soulzek View Post
    This thread title feels like something I'd see on facebook to a link to a site about "23 things you don't know about actors"
    I know what you mean..

"Removed from a cinema after complaints about his ventilator, you'll never guess what happened next!" with a really boring video in the article.

Seems fucked, but if it was noisy or illuminated in any way I can see people not wanted to deal with it. If it is quite and not lit then Im not sure what the deal is.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

That is something avoidable though...crying babies, talking on your phone. They make the decision to do that. Taking your life support with you, really isn't avoidable. You don't have a choice on that. The only way to avoid his situation, would be to never go, ever. I'm not willing to impose a life of being a shut in on someone just because one day the sound of air hissing through a tube is going to ruin a movie....
    I don't want anyone to feel like they should avoid an activity altogether either. I think this situation could have been avoided in several ways, most modern theatres have a means of accommodating disabled individuals and the person at the ticket counter should have been able to assess whether or not that individual's ventilator could have caused a noise issue.

You're missing the point on the malfunction thing. If something is vital to your well-being and is clearly malfunctioning, most people won't just say "oh well, fuck it, will do it after Taken 3..." They'd say, "I need to get this looked at, before it kills me." Or an RN/caregiver would deal with it, or they would be negligent in their duties. It is entirely illogical, and improbable, for this person to go out to the movies with a malfunctioning respirator.
    You are missing the point of what I am saying about something that is malfunctioning. Saying something is malfunctioning does not necessarily mean it is in any danger of ceasing function. When something minor, cosmetic, or out of the ordinary happens it may not be a priority to get fixed even with a life critical device. For all we know he already had it checked out to make sure he was in no danger and was waiting on a replacement part to fix the noise problem. We just don't know, and we are making a lot of assumptions about the situation since we do not know what was really going on or how loud it really was.
    That is typically how it works with a lot of things. The needs of the many vs the needs of the few and all that. Not saying it is always right, or that it doesn't create uncomfortable situations like this, but I'm more inclined to side with the group in this case. He clearly has his mental faculties intact so it shouldn't be too hard for him to understand the situation, but like I said he lacks basic empathy just as much as the ones that complained lacked empathy for his situation.
    Any complaint that could possibly be levied on this dude can be equally applied to those who complained to get him turfed out. The only difference is they had a choice on the matter. But they win because there happened to be more than 1 of them. Clearly the only course of action is to send more cripples to the movies. Strength in numbers.
    Sounds like a plan. How about crippled Tuesday's so they can focus their numbers more effectively?