Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Zen Sphere Macro

Reading through everything coming this Tuesday with 6.1 it seems that using the Zen Sphere is beating chi wave on single target for Windwalkers granted you are putting it on both yourself and another target. Casting on myself is no problem, nor is making a target of target macro, but that would mean I need to make another keybinding for the extra Zen Sphere. My question is, is there a way to roll these two actions into one macro so I don't need two separate keybinds, or is two binds simply the way to go?

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phallsalot View Post
    Reading through everything coming this Tuesday with 6.1 it seems that using the Zen Sphere is beating chi wave on single target for Windwalkers granted you are putting it on both yourself and another target. Casting on myself is no problem, nor is making a target of target macro, but that would mean I need to make another keybinding for the extra Zen Sphere. My question is, is there a way to roll these two actions into one macro so I don't need two separate keybinds, or is two binds simply the way to go?
    No, there isn't a way to do it with one bind.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

The whole point of ZS is rewarding more complex play, if it could be dumbed down to a single macro it may as well be chiwave :P

You could make it a modifier macro (shift-press = ToT, normal press = player etc).

Thanks. That is what I figured, but there was no harm in asking. What are you guys using to track it? Just making a weak aura?

Thanks. That is what I figured, but there was no harm in asking. What are you guys using to track it? Just making a weak aura?
    Weakaura for myself, and casting via macro if it's still up on me.

This is the macro I will probably end up using.

And it should always be inactive on the other target(be it the tank or whatever melee you put it on) if that Weakaura for yourself is active when zen sphere comes off cooldown, correct? I haven't used zen sphere since early experimenting in MoP so I'm just trying to get familiar with it once again before I jump right in on Tuesday.

Yeah, its a 10sec cd, 16sec buff.

If it's up on you, it can't be off CD *and* up on any other unit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure a mod macro would cover this. For instance, set your focus on another melee or a tank and do

#showtooltip Zen Sphere
    /cast [mod:alt, @self] Zen Sphere; [@(meleename)] Zen Sphere

I used this on heroic thok progression when, in order to pick up healing slack, I was using spheres for the extra vengeance buffed raid healing. Yes, I know.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Deleted
    Make a shift modifier that puts it on to your focus rather than any specific name or target of target

What I do is have 2 identical action bars except for zen sphere, which you make 2 macros of. The first zen sphere casts it on yourself and then switches to the next action bar, the zen sphere on that bar casts it on the focus and if there is no focus it casts it on you again, and then swaps back to the first bar. No alt modifier needed and you just need to press one key and it will automatically go between the two.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Weriik View Post
    What I do is have 2 identical action bars except for zen sphere, which you make 2 macros of. The first zen sphere casts it on yourself and then switches to the next action bar, the zen sphere on that bar casts it on the focus and if there is no focus it casts it on you again, and then swaps back to the first bar. No alt modifier needed and you just need to press one key and it will automatically go between the two.
    That is insanely clever.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

I just set this up and it's working perfectly so long as i dont accidentally hit it too early. Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Any way to set it up to only change the actionbar on a successful cast?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried this in an actual raid? As a dedicated button masher, I see this not working well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rijn dael View Post
    Yeah, its a 10sec cd, 16sec buff.

If it's up on you, it can't be off CD *and* up on any other unit.
    What I don't get is - when you cast ZS the buff starts counting down from 20 seconds and doesn't explode until after 0.

The button mashing thing is certainly something that came to mind, but I think holding off for just one key is worth the convenience of the setup.

If there is a way to only make it switch action bars on a successful cast I'd love to know, but I am pretty sure there isn't.

The button mashing thing is certainly something that came to mind, but I think holding off for just one key is worth the convenience of the setup.

If there is a way to only make it switch action bars on a successful cast I'd love to know, but I am pretty sure there isn't.
    I already play my warlocks with shift-modifier casting everything at my focus, so doing it for one spell on my monk is not really a problem :-)

Quote Originally Posted by rijn dael View Post
    I already play my warlocks with shift-modifier casting everything at my focus, so doing it for one spell on my monk is not really a problem :-)
    My hand size limits the amount of keys I can hit comfortably without moving, so I already use a lot of shift modifiers. My 5 key is my level 30 talent key, and shift+5 is touch of karma.

Anyway, I figured it out.

Macro 1:

#showtooltip
    /run if GetSpellCooldown("Zen Sphere") == 0 then ChangeActionBarPage (2) end
    /cast Zen Sphere

Macro 2:

#showtooltip
    /run if GetSpellCooldown("Zen Sphere") == 0 then ChangeActionBarPage (1) end
    /cast [target=focus,help] Zen Sphere; [help] Zen Sphere; Zen Sphere

This does what I explained before, but now only switches action bars if zen sphere actually casts. So now you can spam it all you want and it will only go to the next actionbar when zen sphere successfully casts.

The only thing it doesn't do currently is cast it on yourself if your focus target is out of range for the second step of the rotation, but I don't think it is a big deal since I generally believe you will want to cast it on a melee dps that will be always within 40 yards of you anyway. Just note that if this happens it will still go to the first actionbar page and fail to cast so you'll need to hit it a second time, bringing you back to the "cast on focus" page.
    Last edited by Weriik; 2015-02-23 at 10:30 PM.

My hand size limits the amount of keys I can hit comfortably without moving, so I already use a lot of shift modifiers. My 5 key is my level 30 talent key, and shift+5 is touch of karma.

Macro 1:

#showtooltip
    /cast Zen Sphere

Macro 2:

#showtooltip

This does what I explained before, but now only switches action bars if zen sphere actually casts. So now you can spam it all you want and it will only go to the next actionbar when zen sphere successfully casts.
    You. You're my hero. <3

Macro 1:

#showtooltip
    /cast Zen Sphere

Macro 2:

#showtooltip

Amazing. Thank you very much!

I'm fine with more complex talent options performing better, but vanilla Zen Sphere is just obnoxious for a non-healer to use.

Macro 1:

#showtooltip
    /cast Zen Sphere

Macro 2:

#showtooltip

That's pretty diesel. good find.

It will still swap back if you mash after the cast succeeds, but clever

I didn't realise you could programatically change stance bars - which means you can just check buffs.

Using jab, because it guarentees you will mash it at least once while the buffs are out even if you don't mash the ZS key, meaning the pages will update before your next cast. You could add it to your BoK key too, to cover the scenario of "no jabs for >10sec during a ZS>serenity>ZS", but you should be jabbing after ending serenity anyway before you ZS dps-wise anyway.
    Code:
    --page 2 macro for some filler (I picked jab)
    /run if UnitAura("player", "Zen Sphere", nil, "HELPFUL") ~=nil then  then ChangeActionBarPage (2) end
    /cast jab

--page 1 macro for ZS
    /cast [@player] Zen Sphere

--page 2 macro for some filler (I picked jab)
    /run if UnitAura("player", "Zen Sphere", nil, "HELPFUL") ==nil then  then ChangeActionBarPage (1) end
    /cast jab

--page 2 macro for ZS
    /cast [@whoever][@you][@like] Zen Sphere
    ps: I hate you a little bit for making this brain-dead mashable. I like complexity dammit.

psps: you can merge it all into just the ZS macro if you want, but you may need to mash after the spell is cast for it to successfully update, putting the swap on a filler spell just removes the need.
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2015-02-23 at 10:48 PM.