Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Can you prove to me that #Gamergate is wrong?

I've done a lot of research (I've spent far too much time on it, really) and I have come out firmly on the #Gamergate side. I'm sick and tired of insane groups trying to push their agenda in video games and this seems to be a good consumer revolt against this (and against corruption in gaming journalism).

I remember full well the countless video game websites that published articles (on the same day), claiming that gamers are terrible people and shouldn't (or don't) exist anymore. How can we possibly trust or respect people who think that we are scum and shouldn't be allowed to breath the same air as them?

I've also listened to anti-Gamergate viewpoints, but it all seems to be a smokescreen. It seems to me like critics of the movement focus entirely on calling #Gamergate members "racist," or "sexist." We also have the figureheads behind the anti-Gamergate movement being proven to be corrupt. Anita Sarkeesian and John McIntosh scammed a ton of people out of money and aren't even gamers (by their own admission).

I fully admit that most of this "research" was done in an echo chamber, so I'd like to take this opportunity to let you all question the narrative I've come to believe. I don't want to be the kind of person who doesn't have his beliefs questioned and my own attempts to find anything of merit about the anti-GG crowd proved fruitless. This is your chance to tell me how #Gamergate is wrong or misguided.

If you don't know about #Gamergate, this is a pretty in-depth look at how it started:

I'm always amused by how much GG is exactly what it bitches about.

That being said, I can't think of anything that matters less than gaming journalism.

should probably post in the gamergate thread. this will most likely get closed.

edit: here's the link
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ted-27-October
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    I think many people use the word "scale" the same way the smurfs use "smurf".

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post

That being said, I can't think of anything that matters less than gaming journalism.
    You're not thinking hard enough then.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's already a gamergate thread, please just keep it in there away from the grown ups.

I'd like to point out Gamergate happened AFTER the whole Zoe Quinn thing but yeah, Gamergate Thread is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    I'd like to point out Gamergate happened AFTER the whole Zoe Quinn thing but yeah, Gamergate Thread is here.
    To be fair, the major posters in there are Gamergate supporters, you're not gonna get opposition's viewpoints.

That being said, I'm pretty sure there was a movement of some sort before that even, the Zoe Quinn thing just escalated it, and now it's not even the major thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    There's already a gamergate thread, please just keep it in there away from the grown ups.
    I think we all know that if I asked this question in that thread, I would be exposed to the same exact echo chamber I have already been exposed to. I want to hear the viewpoints of people like Endus, Nixx, Rukentuts, Wells and heck, even Erin. It want to hear what some of our more colorful members have to say, that way I will have explored both sides.

Also, why can't adults care about the industry of one of their favorite hobbies and something they may very well identify with closely? Do sports fans not talk about the state of the sports industry? Also, what about people who work in or have ambitions to work in the gaming industry? Should they not be interested in developments in said industry?

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    To be fair, the major posters in there are Gamergate supporters, you're not gonna get opposition's viewpoints.

That being said, I'm pretty sure there was a movement of some sort before that even, the Zoe Quinn thing just escalated it, and now it's not even the major thing.
    Yeah the thread gets echo chamber-y bit too often for my taste but still fun to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    I think we all know that if I asked this question in that thread, I would be exposed to the same exact echo chamber I have already been exposed to. I want to hear the viewpoints of people like Endus, Nixx, Rukentuts, Wells and heck, even Erin. It want to hear what some of our more colorful members have to say, that way I will have explored both sides.
    Nixx and Wells already gave their opinions in the GG thread, it wasn't much beside the usual, no offense.

I think its just a glimpse into the unrestrained id of the internet. Hardly worth taking seriously.

Why are people still arguing this shit. Could you please leave this crap back in 2014 and just shoot you criticism directkly at what ever caused you renewed interest? I mean if Anita Sarkesian released another blatant lie video, just criticise her.

But then again this is Nakamura thread, so flamebait is to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Why are people still arguing this shit. Could you please leave this crap back in 2014 and just shoot you criticism directkly at what ever caused you renewed interest? I mean if Anita Sarkesian released another blatant lie video, just criticise her.

But then again this is Nakamura thread, so flamebait is to be expected.
    I'm not flaming, I am attempting to gain a better understanding of BOTH sides.

I think its just a glimpse into the unrestrained id of the internet. Hardly worth taking seriously.
    Some people have different priorities, who knew?

Why don't you tell us what precisely about Gamergate you're looking for disproof of?

The "gaming journalism is corrupt angle"? What precisely is the allegation?

Or do you just want to go through Zoe Quinn's dirty laundry?

Or is this just a general anti-feminism rallying cry under the banner "gamergate" (based on your OP I suspect this is the case)?

Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    I fully admit that most of this "research" was done in an echo chamber
    Oh you noticed that?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    But he's looking for a counter-point, and the gamergate thread is a giant circlejerk.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2015-02-27 at 04:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

For someone who always yells about people using fallacies, you sure have no problem using one about something you clearly disagree with.

But he's looking for a counter-point, and the gamergate thread is a giant circlejerk.
    It only is when you jump in with a pointless, non-contributive flame post about how everyone who cares about GG is stupid or someone who jumps in just to flame everybody and leave for a week. There have been plenty of people who don't support GG or are neutral on the topic who have legitimately contributed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do we really need another thread on this?
    Black Lives Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Some people have different priorities, who knew?
    Yes some people do. And sometimes they're ridiculous.

For someone who always yells about people using fallacies, you sure have no problem using one about something you clearly disagree with.
    Go on.

Yes some people do. And sometimes they're ridiculous.
    Glad you decide what other people should prioritize

Why don't you tell us what precisely about Gamergate you're looking for disproof of?

The "gaming journalism is corrupt angle"? What precisely is the allegation?

Or do you just want to go through Zoe Quinn's dirty laundry?

Or is this just a general anti-feminism rallying cry under the banner "gamergate" (based on your OP I suspect this is the case)?
    You don't actually seem to understand the topic if you think its about "Zoe Quinn's dirty laundry" or "anti-feminism."