Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Male rape victims must still pay child support?

I was talking to someone about unfair laws and legal practices and they brought up something rather crazy. They said that a guy who has a kid, could lose custody of that kid to his wife even if the kid is not the biological child of his current spouse.

Meaning: If Bob has a child with Melissa but Melissa chooses to not be in the kids life, Bob has custody of his kid. If Bob gets married later to Amanda, then divorces. Amanda could get custody of Bob's kid and force him to pay child support.

Now, i called Bull on this story. Didn't believe it at all. Didn't even research it. Then this person I spoke too gave me an example of something else to show how messed up the law is. He stated that male victims of statutory rape must still pay child support to the rapist. I couldn't believe it. So I looked this one up. It seems that there is actually a precedent that is pretty standard that the boy who has been raped must still pay child support if his rapist decides to keep the kid.

I don't even know what to say about this. This is just all kinds of wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermesmann_v._Seyer

Deleted
    I have heard of this happening before, but I don't know if it's a regular thing. Either way, it's fucked up beyond belief.

Society just doesn't take rape seriously when a guy is a victim (or rather, when a woman is the rapist. I imagine it's taken quite seriously when it's dude on dude rape but people are still stuck in this 'how can a woman rape you' mindset) and there is some really evil shit going on by women because they know the law around it all is a bit touch & go.

/r/pussypass

It doesn't happen very often, but when it does it only reaffirms that there are still major problems with men's rights when it comes to things that people think aren't possible. In fact, it's that way with anything that people think shouldn't/didn't/never occurred. Gay marriage, men being raped or abused, etc. We can't even get a guaranteed number of days off as workers in the US, so good luck fixing this anytime soon.

Deleted
    That is rather dumb, to say it lightly. But this was a single court ruling, that happened in 1993, have there been rulings like that since?

10+ Year Old Account
    Possible in how our family court systems work in the U.S. Not a regular issue though. Honestly our family law systems need a rework. They are pretty primitive and slow to adapt compared to other facets of law. They also tend to be ended earlier than a judgment with mediation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Baby daddy is still a baby daddy.

/sarcasm
    So glad we just have a cat snookums

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    That is rather dumb, to say it lightly. But this was a single court ruling, that happened in 1993, have there been rulings like that since?
    yeah. I was looking up a few. I hope this isn't a "regular" thing so maybe I need to amend my OP. But it has happened more times. Sometimes the rapist is actually prosecuted and the victim still pays. Sometimes the argument is that there were no charges pressed so there is no victim.

End result is adult females get child support from boys who were under the age of consent when the child was conceived. This honestly upsets me though. One kid is even being sued for child support he missed because he didn't even know the girl (his old babysitter) was pregnant. Like, give the guy a break! And he actually wants to be in the kids life and be a good dad, but where is the help with that?

Someone is going to pay for the child's upbringing and if possible it's not going to be the taxpayer.

Judge looks at the evidence and finds people who are responsible and who can pay.

It's been that way since Roman times.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhine101 View Post
    yeah. I was looking up a few. I hope this isn't a "regular" thing so maybe I need to amend my OP. But it has happened more times. Sometimes the rapist is actually prosecuted and the victim still pays. Sometimes the argument is that there were no charges pressed so there is no victim.

End result is adult females get child support from boys who were under the age of consent when the child was conceived. This honestly upsets me though. One kid is even being sued for child support he missed because he didn't even know the girl (his old babysitter) was pregnant. Like, give the guy a break! And he actually wants to be in the kids life and be a good dad, but where is the help with that?
    Oh I completely agree that it is pretty much outrageously stupid, and even if it is a few cases, it still deserves attention and a course for changing such laws.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get the a child's life is a child's life thing but regardless. You shouldn't be entitled to money for a kid that was a rape baby. So long as the accused actually did rape the person unwillingly. I read the article

Seyer when he was 12 years old.[2] When she was 17 and he 13, she became pregnant and their daughter was born in 1989.[3]
    If this was actually rape in the forceful way.. i can see there being a huge issue, but given even if under age it wasn't reported until x amount of time after. So i can understand to court ruling in a way. I'm sure the court viewed it as underage Fornication/Rape not forceful rape.

I get the rape is rape deal but i'm just saying maybe there was a ruling this way for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're now trying to argue that fingers are people. And you expect me to take your argument seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I did walk up to a truck once and whispered, "I know your secret... Optimus Prime..

I was talking to someone about unfair laws and legal practices and they brought up something rather crazy. They said that a guy who has a kid, could lose custody of that kid to his wife even if the kid is not the biological child of his current spouse.

Meaning: If Bob has a child with Melissa but Melissa chooses to not be in the kids life, Bob has custody of his kid. If Bob gets married later to Amanda, then divorces. Amanda could get custody of Bob's kid and force him to pay child support.
    Only if she adopted him.

Now, i called Bull on this story. Didn't believe it at all. Didn't even research it. Then this person I spoke too gave me an example of something else to show how messed up the law is. He stated that male victims of statutory rape must still pay child support to the rapist. I couldn't believe it. So I looked this one up. It seems that there is actually a precedent that is pretty standard that the boy who has been raped must still pay child support if his rapist decides to keep the kid.

I don't even know what to say about this. This is just all kinds of wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermesmann_v._Seyer
    Sign papers, give up the child.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, this shouldn't be a thing. In full agreement there.

In before MRM shitstorm.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Also, not to tell men their business or speak for them, but it sort of feels like, while this is fucked up, a bigger issue is that when men are raped it's rare for anything to even get to a courtroom because no one takes him seriously.

It is sickening to think that a women could force themselves upon a man and demand that they pay child support for a kid they likely don't even want.

What is even more sickening is that woman on male rape is never looked upon as seriously as man on woman rape.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's fucked up, but completely in line with what child support is intended to do which is provide for the child.. The child isn't guilty of a crime or less deserving of support just because the mother is a rapist.

It's a tricky case with no good solution. I don't support victims having to pay child support, but I don't support punishing the child either. Ideally the child would be given to the father if he wanted custody because the mother is unfit, but if the father doesn't want it either there's no good options left. I'm almost inclined to support giving the father the option to chose whether or not the rapist get's to have the child at all, if it's known early enough for an abortion.

How is a man raped by a woman, I need an example.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    It's fucked up, but completely in line with what child support is intended to do which is provide for the child.. The child isn't guilty of a crime or less deserving of support just because the mother is a rapist.

It's a tricky case with no good solution. I don't support victims having to pay child support, but I don't support punishing the child either. Ideally the child would be given to the father if he wanted custody because the mother is unfit, but if the father doesn't want it either there's no good options left. I'm almost inclined to support giving the father the option to chose whether or not the rapist get's to have the child at all, if it's known early enough for an abortion.
    The best solution is allowing the father to raise the child if he wants, if not, take it away from the mother and put it into the system. It's not ideal and it results in tons of messed up kids but being raised by a rapist is worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no such thing as 'male rape' , especially one that produces a child to pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    How is a man raped by a woman, I need an example.
    Man gets drugged, woman have sex with him while he is far away on whatever she drugged him with. That is how men get raped by women.

As a divorced father who has had his share of custody battles, the law is pretty unfair to males, and I am a white collar professional with no criminal history, I couldn't imagine someone with a colorful background. My brother who was off in IRAQ had to fight like crazy to get custody of his daughter even though the mother turned into meth head, cheated on him and put the child in a dangerous living environment.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    The best solution is allowing the father to raise the child if he wants, if not, take it away from the mother and put it into the system. It's not ideal and it results in tons of messed up kids but being raised by a rapist is worse.
    Yeah, I know that's the only realistic option, but being raised in the system is really shit as well. If the rape was just a one-off thing (as callous as that sounds), I honestly think staying with the mother would be better.