Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I tried the FFXIV trial but I seriously hated it. Must be a style people simply prefer or something because it felt really instanced, slow paced and clunky. Sort of like TERA.

If we're listing MMORPGs then we can add RuneScape to that list. It's doing rather well, both RS3 and OSRS (2007 version). Especially after they introduced permanent F2P to OSRS with other big updates as well. Would definitely recommend either versions if you actually do prefer grindy, relaxed MMOs where not everything is solely focused on combat alone.

well I haven't played that much of it, that is just what came to mind when I did play it, it was very wow like in my experience (with slower combat as you said)

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    instanced, slow paced and clunky. Sort of like TERA.
    Neither of these games are 'instanced', but I guess you just mean the fact that there are invisible walls a lot places? SWTOR is like this as well, but once again, not instanced. Warframe is an instanced game, Dragon's Nest is instanced. FFXIV/TERA have open worlds. Not seamless open, but open nonetheless.

It's also odd that you think TERA is slow or 'clunky' (this term is always used incorrectly). It's one of the smoothest action combat systems you could find. It's likely that you have a problem with animations being anything different than completely physics-less appearances of WoW. It's a common mistake.
    BAD WOLF

I can see why people say Tera is "clunky". It's due to the slow animations that root you in place. A design decision for sure but for some it is a turn off (for me it definitely is). Plus a lot of the fights go on for way too long. All in my opinion of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I can see why people say Tera is "clunky". It's due to the slow animations that root you in place. A design decision for sure but for some it is a turn off (for me it definitely is). Plus a lot of the fights go on for way too long. All in my opinion of course.
    You missed out on the reaper then...mmm...so smooth, so fast. Too bad the company blew it with content pacing for the west. I was having so much fun until there was nothing to do and then I was gone by the time there were things to do.

And yes, people misinterpret animations for 'clunky'. No MMOs I've played have controls that can be considering clunky. Even LotRO, which is slower like FFXIV, is simply a combat system that queues abilities instead of immediately firing them off which translates to a perceived effect of not being responsive. Anyways, I'm getting off topic but I used to be just as uninformed about the topic when I came straight from WoW into other MMOs so I like sharing the insight I gained from actually studying these things.
    BAD WOLF

I did miss out on the reaper and the sole reason is because of the Elin only requirement. I refuse to play one, ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I did miss out on the reaper and the sole reason is because of the Elin only requirement. I refuse to play one, ever.
    Is that the pedo race? I refused to play them as well.

Sorry if I offend any anime fans by saying that

I believe GW2 and FF14 are doing well after WoW obviously. The thing that killed GW2 for me was the lackluster impact of combat, animations, and the dodging mechanic. My thief attacks felt like it was hitting air. I probably enjoyed FF14 the most and I wasn't too bothered by the long gcds. But combine that with the horrible server lag and noticeable delay on every ability or boss mechanic killed it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ztreb185 View Post
    I believe GW2 and FF14 are doing well after WoW obviously. The thing that killed GW2 for me was the lackluster impact of combat, animations, and the dodging mechanic. My thief attacks felt like it was hitting air. I probably enjoyed FF14 the most and I wasn't too bothered by the long gcds. But combine that with the horrible server lag and noticeable delay on every ability or boss mechanic killed it for me.
    Yeah I know what you mean. My major gripe with GW2 is the physics/animations don't have a good "feel" to them. This is where other games excel. I think if GW2 fixed that though it would be my favorite MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 and FFXIV:ARR are my votes as well. Alive and kicking. Great games, the both of 'em.

I guess while we're on the subject, I've been looking for an active-ish MMO with a DoT heavy/Necromancer-like class. Does it exist?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aiko-chan View Post
    I guess while we're on the subject, I've been looking for an active-ish MMO with a DoT heavy/Necromancer-like class. Does it exist?
    Scourge Warlock in NWO kinda fits the bill.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Looks promising? It looks pretty and that is it. It has no promise. It is literally a PvP game that requires you to grind mobs that have no interesting attacks (just white damage) to level and if you die you get death penalties so you have to re-level and regear your enchants and such. There is no PvE in this game. The PvP is awful, chain CC people to death.

It's a look pretty MMO that will play like crap. it is 1000x more grindy then standard eastern MMOs and that's it's niche. You die? Grind more.
    hey beta tester here.. and i've been playing this game since OBT started and i'm sorry but i gotta tell you, but you talk a lot about things you don't seem to have a clue about. I'll give you this the PVE is lacking thats true but all the other statements are false since OBT started the game has been changed a lot to suit the korean feedback of their playerbase, death penalties have been removed and nerfed to the point you don't lose almost anything and IF you lose something its something rather useless anyway but you don't seem to even know how the initial concept of the game was..

Enchant and re gearing is also false, yes your crystals pop but they do so in tera too and nobody whines about it, regearing a character.. please.. you actually only have to farm you gear once since none of it is bound to a character as it is in your typical mmo i can just give my fully enchanted gearset to my alts if i want to level a new one because there is no level restrictions to gear either.
    And no its not a PvP game since its OBT launch DAUM has taken a lot of steps to make pvp uninteresting as much as possible atm we're at the point where pvp has been changed so much that its literally dead and we're waiting for a patch that will fix this.

The combat plays actually very very well once you have turned down all the hyper disco flashyness and camera shake/blur effects.
    About the grind dunno what you're talking about you can hit the softlevel cap in about 3 days if you're into speed leveling or it takes you about a week maybe a week and a half if you're taking it really casually or just like to explore the wast and immersive world, the current cap of 56 can be reached rather fast too.
    Gear grind is the same as any other mmos, in pve raid focused ones you gotta grind the raids till your gear drops here i grind till i can craft or buy what i need don't see a difference.

And like i said right now the game has been casualized so much that all of your claims are simply false but hey maybe i was able to enlighten you.

Now back to topic.

Currently FF14 does really really well as i remember as statement from their lead designer that it won't go f2p in a loong time.
    The constant content updates show this as well and personally i'd say it's the only MMO in terms of PVE raid content that comes close to wow maybe not in raid size but the hard modes there are pretty though and challenging.

Tera is doing pretty well too the korean and NA version that is the Eu version died last week since their publisher took every single step to make sure the game is pure p2w and unplayble without spending a huge amount of money.
    Anyway Tera was top 3rd subscription based MMORPG of 2013 and it ranked top 4 in 2014 i'd say it does really well, tbh its the onlyf2p game that seems down to earth and fair in terms of what their cashop offers. (ofc we do not discuss some super silly costumes and stuff like that thats just how it is ;_

Welp anyway that was my first post on april's first been a long time lurker shame on zito taking my first time so roughly. ;_;
    So yeah hello MMO Champs o/

€dit: oh 22 posts? Huh maybe not as virginal is i thought i'd be don't even remember where they came from~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Scourge Warlock in NWO kinda fits the bill.
    Thanks! I'll check it out.

If only GW2 necromancers were more...necromancer-y. I want to stuff my target full of diseases that slowly suck their life away. Reviving them as an undead minion is only icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Easier said than done (and I don't really want to), plus I'm usually on TS with them when playing another MMO. Also when levelling, I want to do it solo, with people available to do group quests and dungeons with. When it comes to easy quests, playing with others annoys me, as they slow me down.

edit: Just wanted to add my last experience of trying to make new friends. The last MMO (apart from WoW) I got to a decent end game stage was Wildstar. I joined this guild, hoping to raid with them sooner or later. However, I couldn't stand any of them, they constantly made fun of WoW, thought LoL or Dota were the best thing ever and required so much skill to play, I'm pretty sure most of them were 14 (I made the last bit up, they just acted and sounded like they were 14). I'm not a huge fan of Moba's and I don't think they were a huge fan of my mocking of them either lol.

It's not easy finding a guild that suits you, when I've raided seriously in WoW, I've hated 99% of the people in that guild.

Just quoting you, to tell you that your sig is horribly inaccurate.
    Oh I know my signature sucks for many people, TV re-makes itself every month with new series...stays fresh etc, but if wow did that aswell inn one way or another, my signature would fit, so Its staying for now. Besides, I dunno what else my signature should have...my PC specs or my 100 subscriber youtube channel hehe ? Actually.....Fuck it, you win I will do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Important to note it is the only EU PVE server out of 2 total EU servers....and you still see no one. That game needs emergency life support.
    Idd, its sad. Its not like the game is bad or anything. Wildstar dosent deserve that. But somehow I just dont like it. Combat feels....Meh, maybe I just like tab target more, and I didnt like UI, the over-the top humor and graphics are abit to cartoony for me. But I still enjoy Rift, even if its not the best f2p model.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Æony View Post
    Enchant and re gearing is also false, yes your crystals pop but they do so in tera too and nobody whines about it
    Lots of people complain about those aspects in Tera actually, especially the enchanting. The systems have been improved a great deal since the beginning, but most people don't like that style of design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Æony View Post
    22 posts? *snip* don't even remember where they came from~
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/search.p...rchid=16653260
    You've mostly talked about April Fool's in 2009 and your UI from 2008. We know everything you've been doing.
    BAD WOLF

Archeage is a travesty. SOOOOOOO much potential. No content at max level other than world PvP. Bots own all the land for farming. *shrug* Awful. Just awful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aiko-chan View Post
    Thanks! I'll check it out.
    Yeah NWO has a limited set, so it's not like you'll get a large diversity of abilities, but they do have a primary DOT mechanic and a Ghoul mechanic so it's the only thing in an MMO I could even think of. I think some ARPGs have stuff, but that's not what you were looking for. Warlock in WoW have dots, but no necromancy.

Oh wait....actually in Rift the mage souls have a lot of Dots and a Necro tree. Maybe take a look at that? I don't know if any of it is viable to be put together, but that game is pretty chill regarding building characters for questing/solo play.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree

Check out the mage souls and specifically the Necro tree, then you can look at the others for dot focused stuff.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    My favorites outside of WoW are:

ESO (the best questing, very immersive)
    SWTOR (the best story)

and

FFXIV (Chocobos and nostalgia)

Lots of people complain about those aspects in Tera actually, especially the enchanting. The systems have been improved a great deal since the beginning, but most people don't like that style of design.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/search.p...rchid=16653260
    You've mostly talked about April Fool's in 2009 and your UI from 2008. We know everything you've been doing.
    Yeah i know about Tera's enchanting played since release till it died in eu no need to tell me how it was. The improvement was needed.
    And same happened with the Black Desert system.

Oh and i know i checked my history too but at the time of posting i wasn't aware anymore of this account having posts.
    Also from now on i'll call you stalker-kun!