View Poll Results: If you had the power to separate ALL different races to different planets. Would you?

Voters
79. This poll is closed
  • Yes.

21 26.58%
  • No.

58 73.42%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Definitely not. For one - since skin colour isn't a binary gene - where the hell would you even draw the lines? Are we just just saying "Black vs White"? In which case, how toned does your skin need to be "Black"? Would it just be Scandinavians and "Other"? Or would you need to be full Alek Wek to be "Black"?

Do we just start distinguishing by ethnicity instead? What are Natives? Or Asians? (Please don't say Red/Yellow) Are black albinos "white", given they are whiter than what people? What about multiracial people, do they default to "Black" or are they "White"? (Hint: both are untrue)

Hopefully, maybe, the point is clear - "Race" is a mis-used Biology term, perpetuated from centuries past when racism was unanimous and biology was little-understood. As far as human are concerned, there are no taxonomically distinct races - we are all Homo Sapiens Sapiens.
    Well extend it to ethnicity too. The only thing the question asks is if divided by racial color and culture, if a total sustainable separation could be had with the only condition being that it could never be undone would you do it?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    Not exactly a very pragmatic reply, but certainly one filled with hyperbole.

Race is in no way "an illusion". Most races have their own distinct culture. Chinese and Japanese people may be both "Asian" but they still have their own distinct cultures and ways of life. And to even begin to compare that to something like hair colour certainly shows that you're either ignorant, or you're looking for a proxy excuse to undermine the OPs view. Either way, it wasn't very good...

But back to being on-topic... Sure, why not. As a Greek myself, I'd very much like to see how they act and behave with only themselves around. No Germany to pester for reparation costs and all that jazz.
    Way to completely ignore science. Are you also a climate change denier and and anti-GMO activist? The OP talked about race (an illusion) and skin color(equal to hair color). I didn't see anything in there about culture. If anyone is looking for a "proxy excuse" it's you, not me.

Still on topic, as a Greek you'd be considered the same "race" as a German in the given scenario.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maymay View Post
    I'd seperate based on religious beliefs and politics.. imagine a planet, where everyone agreed on how to run it.. not agreeing on everything, that's not my point, but agreeing on society structures and fundamental values.. But I'd never ever consider race.. wouldn't be nessecary either, I suppose, since all nazis and racists would have their own planet without multiple colors..
    I agree, I say given enough time each planet would have the exact same racial problems again.

Deleted
    You shouldn't.

Getting a good mix and variety of genes is pretty beneficial.

When a genetic pool gets too shallow, well, you know what happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Hey look, we already have a response in this thread for people like you:
    And it's completely invalid and ignorant.

Christ no! The best looking people are mongrels!

Plus, they'd just pick something else stupid to fight about.

what would happen to mutts like me? it'd also break up biracial families.

i mean, it'd be interesting to see how everything turns out, but idk if i'd do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    You shouldn't.

Getting a good mix and variety of genes is pretty beneficial.

When a genetic pool gets too shallow, well, you know what happens.
    It will mutate. Because race and/or racial purity is fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    what would happen to mutts like me? it'd also break up biracial families.

i mean, it'd be interesting to see how everything turns out, but idk if i'd do it.
    Op covered that. Mutts like me all get our own planet. What's your planet brah?

Yes. A planet with just white people sounds pretty nice to live on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Well extend it to ethnicity too. The only thing the question asks is if divided by racial color and culture, if a total sustainable separation could be had with the only condition being that it could never be undone would you do it?
    How distinct an ethnicity then? Ethnicity itself is only a useful sociological construct for discussing broad (read: stereotypical) strokes.

Do we just define it as "Western" vs "Eastern"? How does Africa and South America fit into that? If we go by country, are BC Canadians the same as Prairie Canadians, the same as French Canadians, the same as Toronto Canadians? (or use West Coast, Bible Belt, Cajun, and East Coast as American parallels). Is all of Europe "European"? The Turks are the same as the French? Is Russia European too? Is Denmark? Is Norway?

Pick whatever ethnicity you think you are, and tell me how granular a distinction you need to go, before you have a singular homogenous ethnic mass. The answer is that unless we define Ethnicity as consisting only of individuals, an 'ethnicity of one' - ethnicity is only useful for broad cross-cultural comparison - but is meaningless as a term of actual distinction amongst populations.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2015-05-02 at 08:13 AM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Any kind of Asain cross Anglo planet please! Or do I not get to pick?

Edit: Cause they're hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelsdeath View Post
    Race is an illusion. Separating people base on skin color? May as well separate based on hair color. I don't get it.
    Put me in the group with all of the redheads please!!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Way to completely ignore science. Are you also a climate change denier and and anti-GMO activist? The OP talked about race (an illusion) and skin color(equal to hair color).
    To be fair, if we were dividing up planets by hair colour I would be more down with that - given I was born a redhead, I'd get to go to the planet full of hot gingers (re: yes, all gingers are hot).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nekai View Post
    Put me in the group with all of the redheads please!!!!
    I would be happy to visit/live on a planet of female redheads. I would hire a Death Star to destroy a planet of male redheads.

10+ Year Old Account
    How distinct an ethnicity then? Ethnicity itself is only a useful sociological construct for discussing broad (read: stereotypical) strokes.

Do we just define it as "Western" vs "Eastern"? How does Africa and South America fit into that? If we go by country, are BC Canadians the same as Prairie Canadians, the same as French Canadians, the same as Toronto Canadians? (or use West Coast, Bible Belt, Cajun, and East Coast as American parallels). Is all of Europe "European"? The Turks are the same as the French? Is Russia European too? Is Denmark? Is Norway?

Pick whatever ethnicity you think you are, and tell me how granular a distinction you need to go, before you have a singular homogenous ethnic mass. The answer is that unless we define Ethnicity as being constricted to individuals, and 'ethnicity of one' - ethnicity is only useful for broad cross-cultural comparison - but is meaningless as a term of actual distinction amongst populations.

True but lots of planets. The general distinction would be race. Culture or ethnicity would be under that or it could just go by scientific distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    the italian, native american, german, and irish planet.

a planet full of light olive skinned, black haired gods and goddesses.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would be happy to visit/live on a planet of female redheads. I would hire a Death Star to destroy a planet of male redheads.
    You're looking at it all wrong. Male redheads are highly prized as studs for producing future generations of female redheads

No need to separate them!

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, if we were dividing up planets by hair colour I would be more down with that - given I was born a redhead, I'd get to go to the planet full of hot gingers (re: yes, all gingers are hot).
    Lol yes but after a few thousand years will they all stay gingers?