Poll: Do they deserve their wages?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Do football (soccer) players get paid too much?

Just wondering what everyone thinks, personally I thinking kicking a ball around isn't worth £250k ($386k) a week.

Deleted
    Yeah, many people get too much paid for what they do imo.

Your poll question and topic question seem to require different answers. I'm curious how that might effect the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Your poll question and topic question seem to require different answers. I'm curious how that might effect the outcome.
    This, i voted yes based on reading the thread title. Didn't read the poll question Q_Q
    I think they are paid way too much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellomania View Post
    This, i voted yes based on reading the thread title. Didn't read the poll question Q_Q
    I was close to doing the same mistake but then saw that it was different.

They get paid based on the amount of income that they can generate, as long as they have a decent agent and aren't somehow being screwed over for other reasons.

The reason the teams that they play for can afford to pay them that much is because of the vast revenues made from people paying to watch or sponsor those teams.

If we're going to collectively put that much money into sports teams then I'd rather the players see a decent chunk of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think all professional athletes are overpaid.

The problem is this money is made in the field so it either goes to the players or it goes to the guys in the suits.

Topic and poll are confusing as you've done it so you'll get inaccurate results.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellomania View Post
    I almost did the same thing but caught it just before I clicked vote.

Entertainers get paid a lot.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

psssst, poll is fucked on purpose.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    They get paid based on the amount of income that they can generate, as long as they have a decent agent and aren't somehow being screwed over for other reasons.

The reason the teams that they play for can afford to pay them that much is because of the vast revenues made from people paying to watch or sponsor those teams.
    this. you get paid what you're worth

same reason why judge judy rakes in $47 million for 52 days of work/year

personally i do not care about football and i don't think earning several million dollars a year is justified, regardless of profession

10+ Year Old Account
    Bahahaha. Just noticed the title of the poll. You sneaky bastard.

Its a free market so they get paid exactly as much as they are worth.

Im sure the clubs would pay them less if they could.

I also wonder how long this has been a debate.

Were there people in Rome asking if Gaius Appuleius Diocles was paid too much?

No. Out of all the people in the world who want to do this only the absolute best and most drive get to play on this level. Why would it make sense for a player to slaver away to the point that they can call themselves to be in the top .01% of players, generate the sport millions in revenue, and not be paid proportionately to that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry for the stupid question, but... how those soccer teams make money to be worth to pay these wages to their players? Is it all from tournament prizes and entrance tickets?

10+ Year Old Account
    They do not get paid too much, as they were able to negotiate that salary, and are not breaking any laws. If you are making your money legally, you are not getting paid too much.

They deserve to get paid that much because A. Their level of talent is scarce, B. The number of years they can do this is limited, C. Their health is at risk, D. The fame they gain by doing it makes them a target, forcing them to require a high level of income to live in peace.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Short answer: No.

Long answer:
    The athletes are the backbone of the industry which generates their paychecks - without them, it wouldn't exist, and they're paid "proportionally".
    Compare it to regular workers who are the driving force of both the generation of profits for companies and the market itself that companies profit from, who are paid disproportionately low salaries compared to the value of their labor.

I think in many ways the pay for athletes are (in relative terms) more fair than the salary for many workers in the world. Remember that the vast, VAST majority of athletes only make a regular living wage, if that. Their wage increases massively when they reach the world elite because that's how the income is distributed in the industry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Sorry for the stupid question, but... how those soccer teams make money to be worth to pay these wages to their players? Is it all from tournament prizes and entrance tickets?
    As well as merchandise, television events, etc.