Thread: Razer Naga help

10+ Year Old Account
    In the middle of the ocean for 7 months out of the year

Razer Naga help

So, I just got the razer naga. 12 buttons of course. Ive used keyboard my entire life for WoW, so Im not relaly use to the buttons. I keep finding myself screw up, specially when it comes to my shift modifiers.

Is there any tips? Like what should be bound to what? Ect. Any help would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Demindar View Post
    So, I just got the razer naga. 12 buttons of course. Ive used keyboard my entire life for WoW, so Im not relaly use to the buttons. I keep finding myself screw up, specially when it comes to my shift modifiers.

Is there any tips? Like what should be bound to what? Ect. Any help would be appreciated!
    Anything like Flamestrike or Blizzard that need you to target and click. Other than that CD's and maybe stuff like mounting and fishing etc.

What I totally don't recommend is any spammable or rotational spell it just doesn't feel natural.

And what it comes to using shift on 1-2-3-4-6-7-8-9-0 buttons.. Just use something specific, like I use Shift + Num1 to summon my mount. You might spend some time trying things out, but for me at least.. the transition felt quite natural.

Bind keys how you normally would and just get used to using 1 through = on your right thumb instead of your keyboard. You can also use Shift 1-Shift = for keys as well, or Ctrl modifiers, too.

It WILL take practice (hell I had to get used to my new Logitech G600 after I bought a new one due to my last one crapping out lately), but once you get it, you'll find yourself practically unable to go back to normal mice.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

I use it with the bartender addon so i can make 3x4 grids for my skill bars so they line up with the keypad on the mouse.

works very well for hand to eye coordination.

i also use three sets of these 3x4 grids and keep my main grid in the center and put the other two on either side. then i use the left-ctrl key for the left bar modifier and the left alt key for my right bar modifier. then i just have two side bars i click or assign the top two mouse keys to them for like mounts or my goto fast movement. i assign the scroll wheel left and right toggle for REALLY important but continually used skills...for instance on my brewmaster i assign my right toggle to guard and my left toggle to purifying brew.

it all takes a lot of practice but its totally worth it. if its a character you put a lot of time into, you will end up getting really reactive and faster than most players. it pays off big time in pvp too. I dont even think about what number or what skill im using on my monk now. its super fluid and fast. LOTS OF PRACTICE

also start establishing skills you prioritize and look at where you place them for your thumb. most all classes have a stun or a spell interrupt and 2 or 3 aoe, finishers, resource builder, primary 2 or 3 attacks...you really can put them all in about the same spot for every class, that way switching between alts you will have some consistency and reaction. im sure you could say this about anyone in wow/ skillbar ui, and not just naga users, but i started noticing this helped a lot with making the most out of the mouse.

I hope this was useful information though a bit rambling.

It might sound dumb, but the little pads that you can stick on the buttons actually help a lot. I used them on buttons 4,5,6 and 10,11,12 and left 1,2,3 and 7,8,9 empty. It helped train my hand to what row was where and once I got used to it I just took them off. But it does take some time to get used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimi View Post
    It might sound dumb, but the little pads that you can stick on the buttons actually help a lot. I used them on buttons 4,5,6 and 10,11,12 and left 1,2,3 and 7,8,9 empty. It helped train my hand to what row was where and once I got used to it I just took them off. But it does take some time to get used to.
    Yeah they definitely help, though this is one of the reasons I (greatly) prefer the Logitech G600. The buttons are curved inward/outward depending on what row you're on; slowly gets you to muscle-memory which button is where. The Naga has all 12 buttons as similar-sized, similar-cut, rectangles. G600's buttons are very strangely shaped in comparison, but it really helps (and feels a bit more "form-fitting" on your thumb).
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    The Naga has all 12 buttons as similar-sized, similar-cut, rectangles.
    The 2014 version does have each row slightly angled compared to each other.. so you can feel the difference if you don't have the muscle memory.

Deleted
    Hey I use the razer naga as well.

I would not discard the keyboard completely.

I also use the razer anasi keyboard and that helps a lot too.

All the buttons on my naga and anansi are bound to to buttons from my numberpad.
    I never use the number pad anyway.
    so it's 1234567890.+-*/ and then some others but I can't quiet remember which.

Now here is my logic in my lay out

On the naga my number 1 through 6 are generally used for my rotation spells (Arcane missile, arcane blast,arcane barrage) with all my AoE spells on the second line numbers 4 through 6
    On line 7 through 9 are my utility spells that get used often enough but don't need to be reached super fast.
    Line 10 through 12 is used for those rarely used spells but still handy to be reached semi quickly.
    There are also 2 buttons beneath the scroll wheel the bottom one is used for invocation and the top one for my rune of power.

Then on my anansi keyboard you have 7 buttons below the space bar.
    2 big ones and 5 small ones.
    The big ones have my blink and greater invis
    The 5 others all house my offensive cooldowns
    The last buttons I use are the 5 macro keys to the side of the anansi keyboard. These things hold my defensive cooldowns (Potions, Ice block, ice barrier).

When you first start using a naga it's a pain. you'll be misclicking the entire time. So I suggest not learning it in progession raiding or ranked BG or whatever. Go to normal dungeons or heroic dungeons places where a slip of the finger doesn't automatically mean a wipe or a loss.
    There are no easy tricks to get this going just practice practice practice.

I've come to a place now that I can actually type with the naga when I'm doing my weekly budget for our living costs. I type just as fast as I would on the numberpad.
    Last edited by mmoc41c0f64c2a; 2015-05-21 at 01:04 PM.

I tried a buddies Naga w/12 keys, found that the forward buttons were just uncomfortable trying to get my thumb to them, changed my grip on mouse and hence my movement and normal clicks.

Currently trying out the Naga with 6 buttons, again the forward ones are a bit of a reach but the back three are wonderful. Just need to commit to learning to use them!