Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Just downloading the game - which profession?

Hello guys!

2% progress on the downloader currently and status "cancelled" in my WoW account .

My question is - which profession is most rare in the game?
    I was always picking the class/spec that is least played in any game i tried. Kinda want to be as far from the mainstream as possible.

From what i read, that should be either engineer or mesmer. Is this really the case?
    And if i choose mesmer, does he has viable build with dual swords?

Thanks for the feedback!

Right now, necromancer is probably the rarest. However, with the announcement of necromancer getting the Reaper specialization come expansion, that'll probably change. Honestly just play what appeals to you. The class representation is actually fairly balanced.

Mesmers aren't that rare, but if it interests you, then go for it. It's a fairly unique class in MMOs, and yes dual swords are viable.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Necromancer and Mesmer do not seem too popular. Especially Charr variants.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see engineer too often. Mesmer is going to blow up what with the new expansion and their new Chronomancer build.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably Mesmers and Engineers are the rarest, but you see everything everywhere. You'll probably hear that Necromancers are not good (this is strictly related to them not being "meta" - the absolute min/max for leet dungeon speed running groups looking to shave 30s off a dungeon run), but in WvW you see literally hundreds of Necros everywhere. In fact they are part of the WvW GWEN meta (Guardian, Warrior, Elementalist, Necro) and a recent meta of Venom Well "rattraps" has emerged which is a combo performed by Necros and Thieves that trap you in a well of poison until you DIE. lol.

It really comes down to finding which profession you most enjoy playing. Here's a fun little playlist of short vids on all the professions that will give you an idea of the different playstyles
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXlx...DiCN437PO9R5Fd

And here is a good summary read of the strengths/weakness of each of the professions - old but still relevant:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/...mmary_of_each/

Welcome to the game!
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Necromancer and Mesmer do not seem too popular. Especially Charr variants.
    Those are the only two classes I don't have at 80, and neither will be Charr (unlike the other 6 80s I have). Light armor classes simply look better as anything BUT Charr.

Granted, I'm happy with my current armor setup for my Charr ele main at this point, but would not want to copy/paste it to two other classes. Only exception to that is my heavies; both use charr cultural T3.

As for the OP: Necro, eng, and mesmer would be the "rarest", but to call them rare per se would be a misnomer. Goes back to my WoW days, where a good friend of mine would constantly be flip flopping between classes then end up burn out, only to come back months later and repeat the same process. Part of his mindset is "I want to play something no one else plays". That's not going to happen here, or in most MMOs.

Most RARE profession? Engineer hands down. There are professions that are underplayed, but I literally never see engi's ever.

This assumes open world / dungeon content, in pvp probably mesmer.

Edit: A quick google search turned up this: http://guildwars2viz.com/

Engineer is the rarest, which is strange considering how popular Charr and the Iron Legion are.

In PvE engineer is the rarest. In PvP It's all over the place but I would say either Necros or Mesmers.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Engineer is probably the most rare. Mesmers really aren't that rare. They have a high skillcap and big burst potential in PvP, so plenty of ppl are drawn to them.

I have a Charr Mesmer. He looks sharp. Very fancy.

10+ Year Old Account
    PvP engineer = EVERYWHERE, TONS OF META.
    PvE engineer = NOWHERE, NO PVE ENGINEER. (due to condition dmg caps mainly and the main rotation is quite hard)
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Deleted
    elementalist and warrior Kappa

no but really rarest in PvE is engi i'd say, then probably necro (engi is hard, necro is meh in pve) in pvp probably mesmer and necro. what kinda class do you like in other MMO's? although GW2 classes are a lot different, some share similarities with the classic archetypes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebbars View Post
    elementalist and warrior Kappa

no but really rarest in PvE is engi i'd say, then probably necro (engi is hard, necro is meh in pve) in pvp probably mesmer and necro. what kinda class do you like in other MMO's? although GW2 classes are a lot different, some share similarities with the classic archetypes.
    I played enha shammy in my 6-years WoW carreer. Tried warrior and hunter, but always returned to my shammy although he was underpowered most of the patches.
    I like the hybrid melee/magic/healing playstyle of it. Unfortunately, there is nothing similar to that in GW2.
    I was thinking fo DW mesmer, but i figure the playstyle will be quite different

Quote Originally Posted by bladebarrier View Post
    I played enha shammy in my 6-years WoW carreer. Tried warrior and hunter, but always returned to my shammy although he was underpowered most of the patches.
    I like the hybrid melee/magic/healing playstyle of it. Unfortunately, there is nothing similar to that in GW2.
    I was thinking fo DW mesmer, but i figure the playstyle will be quite different
    I think the closest you'll get will be Elementalist or Engineer. Both are capable of fighting at varying distances and doing offensive or support stuff. Swapping attunements and/or weapon kits may appeal to you mechanically.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    I think the closest you'll get will be Elementalist or Engineer. Both are capable of fighting at varying distances and doing offensive or support stuff. Swapping attunements and/or weapon kits may appeal to you mechanically.
    Guardian is closest. Guardian has heavy armor, can use melee weapons including 2-h hammers and swords, uses scepters and staff for magic, and has healing abilities.

Engineer uses "technology" for magic (which is basically magic) but doesn't really have any melee to speak of. They have kits that work at short-range though, and can do some healing stuff.

Keep in mind all of this is changing soon with Heart of Thorns. We don't know all the specializations yet. Hunter is becoming a druid and getting a staff. So that means a leather wearer who can use lots of melee weapons, bows, magic staves, has a pet and probably nature magic of sorts.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Guardian is closest.
    No. Not even close. The only common thing is they can use magic. Guardians don't use nature spells, fire, lightning, etc nor are they that fast paced.

Elementalist is the closest thing with using daggers, in fact I think when main hand sword is coming out it will be even closer.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    No. Not even close. The only common thing is they can use magic. Guardians don't use nature spells, fire, lightning, etc nor are they that fast paced.

Elementalist is the closest thing with using daggers, in fact I think when main hand sword is coming out it will be even closer.
    They can use magic, they have lots of healing, they have melee. "I like the hybrid melee/magic/healing playstyle of it." They have those. Who cares about nature magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    They can use magic, they have lots of healing, they have melee. "I like the hybrid melee/magic/healing playstyle of it." They have those. Who cares about nature magic.
    Theme and play style is more closer to ele than guardian. That was the whole point of similar to enhancement shaman