Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    ...purple guys aren't players? >_>
    Not every invader is purple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Not every invader is purple.
    It also only works on summoned purples. If you invade as a purple you can't attack enemies and they can't attack you unless you get Seeded.

On the topic of being Seeded. I invaded a guy yesterday that had 3 phantoms with him so I was like, "Not gonna do a 4v1, so I'll hide behind these enemies." Only to find out that I had been Seeded. Never saw someone try that hard in my life. It was overkill to the max. So I just let myself die because the situation was feeling pretty unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    So what weapons do you weird MMOC people use?
    I ended up ranking the sellsword twinblades all the way to +10, plus the black bow since I figure a good bow is always nice. I figure if the 8 slabs is correct, i've got 6 more to full upgrade to best to diversify... unless they take str, trying to go non-str thing run.

i've tried to figure out how to play with the notched whip as well, but I just can't get it right. Seems like a whip would be a cool thing to use, but it seems meh. Even the description with regards to not being as effective against armored foes... what exactly is the defnition of armored?

speaking of str weapons, I've noticed that if a weapon is a str/dex split, and I use the heavy gem, dex scaling tend to fade away to nothing. however i've yet to find a split weapon that if you put a sharp gem on it, the str scaling fades away. it always goes to E. not a big issue, just seems really odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    I ended up ranking the sellsword twinblades all the way to +10, plus the black bow since I figure a good bow is always nice. I figure if the 8 slabs is correct, i've got 6 more to full upgrade to best to diversify... unless they take str, trying to go non-str thing run.

i've tried to figure out how to play with the notched whip as well, but I just can't get it right. Seems like a whip would be a cool thing to use, but it seems meh. Even the description with regards to not being as effective against armored foes... what exactly is the defnition of armored?

speaking of str weapons, I've noticed that if a weapon is a str/dex split, and I use the heavy gem, dex scaling tend to fade away to nothing. however i've yet to find a split weapon that if you put a sharp gem on it, the str scaling fades away. it always goes to E. not a big issue, just seems really odd.
    Well 6 are pretty much guaranteed but the other 2 are kinda missable/possibly not worth it. One you have to complete an NPC's questline and the other you have to trade the Coiled Sword Fragment which is the unlimited Homeward Bone item which is pretty invaluable for me.

Well i beat the game 100% on my Hex build, 60 hours for my first run, 40 this time but i did a lot of invasions and co-op this time around. Got to do the two NG+ runs for the last two endings of the four and get like 2 gestures, 2 rings and a pyromancy to platinum it. So far i still feel the same, its an okay videogame, but as part of the soul series i would rank it equal to DS2 -but with a much better art team contribution this time around but in terms of bosses, freedom of choice and soundtrack it doesnt come close to demons souls or bloodbourne for me.
    -but then i played demons first and i think there is a clear distinction between console and pc players who experienced DS1 as their first and naturally have fond associations with it, so things like "this brave warrior of sunlight-" item descriptions reminds them of their first experiences with the series and not an eye rolling meme reference in place of new world building. I would imagine if DS1 was your first DS3 is probably a lot more enjoyable, but then the trouble is some things like the fp bar are things from demons so it could be a case of not knowing any better in some cases. Still different strokes and all that and im sure for some its the best in the series and more power to them, it just feels good by modern "AAA" cash in standards but compared to demons and BB its a runner up.

But like i said before i think that stems from being a follow up in some respects and not its own thought out and self contained story, thats a big weakness for world building. For me at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of i've loaded up a new BB character and its funny how they are so similar yet different, you press L1 to turtle but morph your trick weapon instead, you take a hit and instead of backing off you press the attack to regain.

Its definitely nice to have two very different souls games on the PS4 alone to enjoy and in the longrun i think that means folks will get more fun out of both -console wise specifically. A big complaint with DS2 was "its just more DS1 without the first experience shine" and those were your options. With DS3 and Bloodbourne thats two souls games that are as different as they are similar and i can imagine in the longrun this means i will be far more inclined to keep revisiting the two because of their differences than ds1 and ds2 where the comparisons ended up putting me off.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...how does Bloodborne have more freedom of choice? Less weapons. More linear both in the levels themselves and the overall structure of the game. No covenants so you can't choose how you want to PVP. You can't even sequence break like you can in DS3. You've got a couple parts where you can choose to go to like Hemwick or Forbidden Woods first but DS3 has that too.

Seems like you have a rose tinted view of Bloodborne. I think Dark Souls 3 has a lot of problems but outside of originality (which Bloodborne is a new IP so of course it's more original), Bloodborne doesn't do anything really that DS3 doesn't do just as well, if not better.

I do find it funny that you think that Demon's Souls is amazing but find the bosses of DS3 worse than Bloodborne when the first half is mostly gimmick bosses much like how it was in Demon's Souls. Hell you literally fight a boss with the Storm Ruler. I think Bloodborne has mostly consistent good bosses with a few standouts like Gascoigne, Martyr Logarius, and Gehrman, whereas DS3 has some shit bosses like Yhorm and Deacons but then some amazing fights like Abyss Watchers, Dragonslayer Armour, Twin Princes, Nameless King, and Aldrich. With some good bosses thrown in as well.

My main complaint comes from a few questionable decisions in regards to the covenants. Mainly a lack of Blue Eye Orb and that you can't kill the boss as a Mound Maker, because I really think it would make it a really varied experience where your goals change on the fly rather than just people messing with the host and then eventually killing them. Also, I think this game actually feels like it was rushed. Some people may not have noticed but From's games have been annual releases for 3 years now. I never really felt that the games were rushed in Dark Souls 2 or Bloodborne, but I feel it a little bit here. Not really in the areas or the bosses but mostly in the weapons and armor. Compared to DS2 there's just not as much here. Weapon types like Twinblades are completely gone. There's no arena like there was in DS2. And while a lot of the new armor sets look AMAZING, like half of the armor sets in the game are from past games (and I'm not talking about generic sets like the Pyromancer armor or the Knight Set).

I just hope that the DS3 DLC does for DS3 what Old Hunters did for Bloodborne.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    whereas DS3 has some shit bosses like Yhorm and Deacons.
    I like Deacons, maybe not a hard fight but atmosphere was just perfect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn dude the longswords are so OP in this game. Great moveset, lots of stagger, great damage, and barely any stamina requirements. I'm tired of fighting randoms who just spam R1 all day.
    Estoc is like the longsword except with more range and more stab attacks. :P I have a lot of stamina so if I ever get invaded I literally spam R1 to victory.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't even invade as a covenant (or get invaded by covenant)

It's apparently a well known bug or whatever that any covenant tools don't work. Completely fine using red eye orb, but not covenants.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I can't even invade as a covenant (or get invaded by covenant)

It's apparently a well known bug or whatever that any covenant tools don't work. Completely fine using red eye orb, but not covenants.
    I think bigger problem is the matchmaking criteria, you wont find many 80 (+-20) characters with +10 weapons in Farron forest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I think bigger problem is the matchmaking criteria, you wont find many 80 (+-20) characters with +10 weapons in Farron forest.
    Level 30 here with a +1 anri straightsword =\

lol people use Estus in Fight Club? I saw a video the other day where someone used an Estus in Fight Club and all the invaders plus the host ganked him and killed him.

I generally never heal unless the other person does first.
    Only time i've seen someone use an estus is after the bout.
    [QUOTE=Poppincaps;39969929]...how does Bloodborne have more freedom of choice? Less weapons. More linear both in the levels themselves and the overall structure of the game. No covenants so you can't choose how you want to PVP. You can't even sequence break like you can in DS3. You've got a couple parts where you can choose to go to like Hemwick or Forbidden Woods first but DS3 has that too.

Seems like you have a rose tinted view of Bloodborne. I think Dark Souls 3 has a lot of problems but outside of originality (which Bloodborne is a new IP so of course it's more original), Bloodborne doesn't do anything really that DS3 doesn't do just as well, if not better. /QUOTE]
    Personally I like BB and DS3 about evenly. BB has a couple things that worked great that I wish they could emulate.

Summoning System in BB > DS3. I'm not a fan of summon signs, and the bell felt smoother.
    Ranged parrying. I really really got use to being able to back step, shoot then riposte.
    Areas are pretty even in both games, however the atmosphere in BB seemed a bit more polished to me.

They're both great games, just my 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Djriff;39972905]Only time i've seen someone use an estus is after the bout.
    ...how does Bloodborne have more freedom of choice? Less weapons. More linear both in the levels themselves and the overall structure of the game. No covenants so you can't choose how you want to PVP. You can't even sequence break like you can in DS3. You've got a couple parts where you can choose to go to like Hemwick or Forbidden Woods first but DS3 has that too.

Seems like you have a rose tinted view of Bloodborne. I think Dark Souls 3 has a lot of problems but outside of originality (which Bloodborne is a new IP so of course it's more original), Bloodborne doesn't do anything really that DS3 doesn't do just as well, if not better. /QUOTE]
    Personally I like BB and DS3 about evenly. BB has a couple things that worked great that I wish they could emulate.

Summoning System in BB > DS3. I'm not a fan of summon signs, and the bell felt smoother.
    Ranged parrying. I really really got use to being able to back step, shoot then riposte.
    Areas are pretty even in both games, however the atmosphere in BB seemed a bit more polished to me.

They're both great games, just my 2 cents.
    Honestly I prefer Dark Souls' summoning system. Having a visual marker to show that you can summon someone is nice and it also helps new players. My friend started Bloodborne and he didn't even know you could summon until I suggested we play together. He was at One Reborn at that point. Just like how messages keep you connected, summon signs also make yo feel connected to the community.

As for ranged parrying, yes it's cool but that's like asking for lightsabers in Braveheart. It'd be badass but it doesn't make much sense. Honestly parrying with a gun doesn't really make sense in the first place but guns don't fit in a Medieval Dark Fantasy.

Any recommendation for a strike weapon? I'm rolling a quality build and I'm not sure if I should go for a strike UGS or (great) mace...

Also does anyone know if target shield has a bigger parry window than Llewellyn shield?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    lol people use Estus in Fight Club? I saw a video the other day where someone used an Estus in Fight Club and all the invaders plus the host ganked him and killed him.

I generally never heal unless the other person does first.
    Not in fight club but I'll put my sign down for it and there will be one person waiting for me. They're probably hoping that I'll run out of estus before them or run away because I'll be an easy kill without any other people to kill them because of their bullshit. And it's funnier because I'll either kill them in one stamina bar or force them to drink all of their estus(which is at least 10 of them... what the fuck).

If I do a Raw infusion and then cast Lightning Blade would it stack?

Honestly I prefer Dark Souls' summoning system. Having a visual marker to show that you can summon someone is nice and it also helps new players. My friend started Bloodborne and he didn't even know you could summon until I suggested we play together. He was at One Reborn at that point. Just like how messages keep you connected, summon signs also make yo feel connected to the community.

As for ranged parrying, yes it's cool but that's like asking for lightsabers in Braveheart. It'd be badass but it doesn't make much sense. Honestly parrying with a gun doesn't really make sense in the first place but guns don't fit in a Medieval Dark Fantasy.
    True, i just think the bell system worked better. If they could fit both, it would work. I just liked being able to ring my bell and continue on clearing the area.

Well it could have easily been given to a crossbow. You're telling me that if you got hit with a shotgun you wouldn't be staggered?
    Last edited by Djriff; 2016-04-23 at 09:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    True, i just think the bell system worked better. If they could fit both, it would work. I just liked being able to ring my bell and continue on clearing the area.

Well it could have easily been given to a crossbow. You're telling me that if you got hit with a shotgun you wouldn't be staggered?
    If I got shot with a shotgun I'd be more than staggered lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I got shot with a shotgun I'd be more than staggered lol.
    Ehhh details.

10+ Year Old Account
    It may not make sense but that's not a bad thing. Not everything has to be realistic and it's cool in Bloodborne so fuck realism in that case. But it's still pretty ridiculous at the end of the day.

Honestly now that you mention crossbows, I wouldn't mind if there was a crossbow that did it just to make any of the crossbows useful outside of the Avelyn. Guns wouldn't make much sense in Dark Souls but I wouldn't mind a parrying crossbow.