Quote Originally Posted by Asetotti View Post
    I laughed harder at that than I should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Mr. Truck is always fun.
    I prefer Airplane-kun, like in Maken no Daydreamer.

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Ah yes, you're right.

I personally think that it's quite likely that he's living on in the thought elevator.
    [URL="https://youtu.be/3Vw7cCrlSq0?t=7m2s"]He is the driver of the caravan.[/URL] He was given immortality when his father grabbed him on the throat while in the thought elevator. He is just living with C.C. watching the world he created from afar.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    So if I just use the MAL manga listing to help pick stuff, will that do me well? I know people tend to be very polarized with this kind of thing so I'm unsure of rankings on sites like those.

Any stand out manga only stuff I should prioritize (other than Punpun)?
    As far as manga (and LNs, for that matter) I'm still very inexperienced with. I started with just LNs (Oregairu LNs are amazing imo, Spice & Wolf has been as well so far), but I started reading Akame ga Kill, Shigatsu, and Nisekoi to start out (which I've enjoyed a ton, especially Nisekoi). I started reading Erased along with the show and it ended up getting so good I passed up the show. I started reading Boku wa Mari no Naka around the same time because of the chatter in the thread about it, and actually read all 65ish chapters that were out all in one sitting because it was so different. I got Orange as a Valentine's gift from my gf (along with 5cm/sec and Garden of Words, but haven't read yet) and it was fantastic and I can't wait for the anime. I also bought and read the 3 volumes of Madoka and the artwork was great but of course nothing will match the show. I've also started Say I Love You which is really cute (I love shoujo :x) and Nozaki-kun's manga is pretty good too. I've read a few others that were pretty entertaining but nothing exceptional.

I feel that the top 10-20 manga scores on MAL should be pretty indicative of quality just from the general consensus between here, /a/, and /r/anime and /r/manga. In my personal experience with manga-only or incomplete adaptations, Boku wa Mari no Naka and Nisekoi are my favorites with Say I Love You not far behind. I omit Orange because I know you said you wanted to watch first then read the manga. Honestly, if you haven't experienced reading something first then seeing it in anime form, it's a good starting point. It's a great manga and it's short, so they shouldn't have trouble getting a good adaptation out of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    Tag your spoilers people.
    All those untagged spoilers are part of the same conversation about the same anime, an unbroken link of quotes. Unless you just randomly click on all black boxes you see, there's no reason to be confused as to what are those about.

All those untagged spoilers are part of the same conversation about the same anime, an unbroken link of quotes. Unless you just randomly click on all black boxes you see, there's no reason to be confused as to what are those about.
    It doesn't matter. Tag your spoilers.

Deleted
    It does matter. Use your brain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dumbledore dies

It wasn't that it only went out of control then and never again. It was always out of control after that. At some unknown point in time shortly before Euphy's massacre his power made a qualitative leap he did not notice, which resulted in taking away his ability to consciously control the Geass. Afterwards he wears eye protection at all times - either his mask or contacts - to make sure he never makes direct eye contact with anyone.
    Code Geass Yes, but it functionally has no implications from that point on. He never again accidentally orders anybody to do anything. He is not inconvenienced in the slightest. That is the issue. Him losing control was for the plot's sake, and the fact that a Geass can go out of control is never even mentioned or explored again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    I mean, you can't expect a character to stay stagnant. At the beginning of the series he was quite literally a angsty teenager who wanted to make the world/his father "pay" for what happened. He didn't give much of a fuck for anything else.

Fighting in the war, losing people he cared about, etc helped him realize that this was about more than just him and Nunnally.

And part of the reason he wanted to make the world a better place was *for* Nunnally. For her, and all the others that lost their life trying to create such a place (Euphy).

Beyond looking at his tendencies for self-sacrifice you should look at his tendency to make sure his plan goes as perfect as possible. It's not like Lelouch particularly cared for his own happiness. If his end goal required him to sacrifice himself, then so be it. (Alternatively you can go with the idea that he didn't die, and is living with C.C. at the end... which fits with your expectation of him anyway)
    Code Geass still. Well, the not dying part would make some sense, although I have a hard time seeing a personality such as Lelouch's being happy on the sidelines.

But anyway, let's grant that he had a change of heart. It doesn't address the fact that the plan is a bad one. The rough outline, as I understood it, was that by becoming such an overwhelming evil threat to the world everybody would fixate their animosity on him. And then when he exited the scene he would somehow take this animosity with him, and in the process help continue the legend of Zero as an undying scion of justice. But things don't work like that, not even remotely. If anything, by removing himself as a clear and present danger he would damage unity. Just look at what happens in most rebellions after they win: the factions fall on each other immediately. I trust more in Bill and Ted's bid at world peace through rock music than Zero Requiem.

I think what makes me vitriolic on the ending of Code Geass isn't completely just the end, but the events that lead up to it.

1) The mother being alive as a weird Geass ghost-parasite in other people and his father actually having some demented grand plan was...well...weak. The emperor worked perfectly well as a vicious despot who cared little for those around him. There was no indication at all that he was anything other than a sadistic tyrant. And then we're suddenly privy to a convoluted plan involving the consciousness of all mankind. That actually his parents were working together. It came out of the blue, and I frankly thought was entirely unnecessary.

2) Nunnally not being dead. She was in the equivalent of a nuclear explosion. There was absolutely no excuse for her to be alive. And then installing her as being in charge of firing the Damocles' main weapon was bizarre.

3) Finally, the overtures of fantasy that creep in. Code Geass is a sci-fi series. It follows the normal physical laws of the universe, perhaps modified slightly as part of the premise (and laying down a slightly modified world in the premise is what it's all about). But then we're increasingly treated to further removed concepts such as immortality. Geass shifts away from something vaguely scientifically-based to just plain magic. C.C. is an unexplained anomaly; basically she is a witch. This probably didn't bother most people, but to me it is extremely frustrating when sci-fi and fantasy become confused for each other.

it gets lost after awhile, and people can be talking about multiple things.

gate 22 really thought they would be smarter about knowing the loli got mc'd

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    it gets lost after awhile, and people can be talking about multiple things.

gate 22 really thought they would be smarter about knowing the loli got mc'd

I honestly have trouble believing anyone can be that stupid. Unbelievably stupid. rip suspension of disbelief

10+ Year Old Account
    Barely clutched out a passing mission for xcom: assault was bleeding out, with 3 floaters, 2 seekers, and 1 sectoid in the area (and possible spawning of the outsider if I got much closer to the UFO). Rookie that killed ~3 enemies that mission had 1 HP remaining, sniper sucked (only just got promoted passed squadie after this mission). Literally the only one that isn't wounded is the support that saved my assault ><
    [CENTER]

15+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    They were talking about something simply quoting one another, go back to the first one and it's labeled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    [video=youtube;V5OujKuJhg8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5OujKuJhg8[video]
    10/sugoi .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    They were talking about something simply quoting one another, go back to the first one and it's labeled.
    There was already a response to that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    There was already a response to that.
    Yeah Yeah right...
    Here:
    Thanks Caine

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really have an opinion on the topic, but Roman-sensei does:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    I don't really have an opinion on the topic, but Roman-sensei does:

rules are for plebs who cant shit post.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    Code Geass Yes, but it functionally has no implications from that point on. He never again accidentally orders anybody to do anything. He is not inconvenienced in the slightest. That is the issue. Him losing control was for the plot's sake, and the fact that a Geass can go out of control is never even mentioned or explored again.
    Of course losing control was for plot's sake - everything in a story is for plot's sake. Also, someone losing control of their Geass was never a factor again, but it was a factor before. The telepathy guy went insane after losing control of his Geass, after all. IIRC the same goes for CC's backstory - at some point she lost control of her Geass and started attracting everyone, never to experience real affection. "Losing control" is simply one of stages of a Geass developing in power.

Of course Lelouch never accidentally orders anybody ever again - his power's only weakness, the fact it requires a direct and unbroken line of sight from his left(at that point) eye to the target's eyes in order to work, turns out to be the saving grace. He starts wearing opaque contact lens on his left eye to prevent the problem from recurring. In fact, I would have a problem with it if he ever DID use his power by accident again - he's not exactly an idiot who would randomly forget to use the countermeasures he developed to deal with it.
    I think what makes me vitriolic on the ending of Code Geass isn't completely just the end, but the events that lead up to it.

1) The mother being alive as a weird Geass ghost-parasite in other people and his father actually having some demented grand plan was...well...weak. The emperor worked perfectly well as a vicious despot who cared little for those around him. There was no indication at all that he was anything other than a sadistic tyrant. And then we're suddenly privy to a convoluted plan involving the consciousness of all mankind. That actually his parents were working together. It came out of the blue, and I frankly thought was entirely unnecessary.
    Agreed and disagreed. It kinda came out of nowhere, but I liked that turn of events. The entire "we loved you after all!" spiel was bullshit, though. Unbelievable bullshit.

2) Nunnally not being dead. She was in the equivalent of a nuclear explosion. There was absolutely no excuse for her to be alive. And then installing her as being in charge of firing the Damocles' main weapon was bizarre.
    100% agreed. No fucking way she should have survived. The way Freya was shown it literally disintegrated everything in the AoE. No one fucking survives that.

3) Finally, the overtures of fantasy that creep in. Code Geass is a sci-fi series. It follows the normal physical laws of the universe, perhaps modified slightly as part of the premise (and laying down a slightly modified world in the premise is what it's all about). But then we're increasingly treated to further removed concepts such as immortality. Geass shifts away from something vaguely scientifically-based to just plain magic. C.C. is an unexplained anomaly; basically she is a witch. This probably didn't bother most people, but to me it is extremely frustrating when sci-fi and fantasy become confused for each other.
    Disagreed. Code Geass is in a futuristic setting, but its story begins when an immortal, unkillable woman grants a magical power to a teenager. It does not get much more fantasy than this. Not a single Geass present in the story is in any way scientific. Mind reading, forcing love onto people, seeing the future, mind control, mind transfer... Pure magic. A futuristic SF setting and magical fantasy are not mutually exclusive - and in Code Geass they exist in parallel from the start.